Fearful Puppy

AnimalMad

I have a 16month old pup who is frightened of everything. We have done puppy school, obedience training, lots of dog & people socialization but it seems her fearfulness is getting worse.

I did make an error in not taking her out enough on her own (she was rarely seen without our other 2 dogs in tow) but i don't think this is the source of the problem.

I find that she is very skittish around any new situation or new people. She barks when startled, barks at family members/noises in the house until she realizes who it is then stops. Even in some familiar surroundings if there is a new person in sight or someone looking at her that is enough for the tail to go between the legs and she just panics.

I have no idea what to do to get her out of this, when she is in familiar situations i have a bright happy, playful affectionate puppy..what have i done wrong?? any tips on what i can do?

What sort of training do you do with her :confused: Do you know how to do clicker training, because this is probably the best way of helping her with her problem. It wont happen overnight, but once she gets the hang of what the clicker/treat is all about you will be surprised with he results.

I did make an error in not taking her out enough on her own (she was rarely seen without our other 2 dogs in tow) but i don't think this is the source of the problem.

That can have a lot to do with it, especially if she has a bit of a timid nature to begin with.

How often do you take her out on her own now?

Clicker training is a good suggestion, starting when she is comfortable with something and slowly getting closer to what bothers her, but at each step rewarding for the calm, composed, confident dog.

Will start clicker training with her this week :) I had done clicker training with the 2 adults but never thought to use this method with her.

She now goes out on her own everywhere now, even if it is just a short trip to the shops or the local market i just take her. I have pulled her from shows as it was making the problem worse as she was terrified of someone watching her in the ring. She has always been a very soft submissive pup so i have to really work on building her confidence.

..at 16 mths she's hardly a puppy .. and her behaviour may therefore be harder to alter . Does she LOVE carrying things? I have trained labs who, when carrying a rolled up paper or something, would walk out happily and full of confidence, tails going .. without the object .. they would present very different body language....

Thats not a bad idea Persephone, my Quinn can be a bit timid and easily startled. One thing I use when meeting new people is to get hem to ask for a nose touch. She was taught from early on that an open palm is a cue for her to touch her nose to it. Its a simple task that she knows and understands well and has a very high reinforcment background, I've used it with a few people that she's decided she is a bit wary of and it usually helps her gain confidence quickly once she relises they are another treat despenser.

If the problem is serious though I'd lean towards getting a professional behaviourst in, especially if you feel its getting worse.

I would suggest going to see a behaviourist. It can make a big difference.

I had a dog that went everywhere with my other dogs, started growling at judges etc. I tried to fix the problem myself and got no where. 12mths on from seeing a professional and I regret not doing it earlier. You don't want things to become more ingrained then they already are.

If you look in the Training area there are some good trainers that are commonly recommended in victoria.