Running With Large Breed Dog

KumaAkita

I used to run every day, but haven't done so since Kuma came along and I had a few niggling injuries. I'm thinking I'd like to start back running and I'd like to take Kuma with me. Not sure if he's still too young...

Kuma is nearly 21 months old and has grown to his full height. The only growing he has left to do is to fill out a bit, he's about 47Kg and we anticipate probably another 5Kg or so over the next 6 months. We keep him quite light, and quite fit. We have tried to grow him slowly so as to avoid joint problems.

We currently do a fast paced walk every morning, either the short loop at 25 mins or the long loop at 45 mins - which loop we do depends on how cold it is and how much time I have (some mornings, he chooses to do the short loop tho!! ;) ) Every now and then I have been doing about a 500m run with him - mainly to refocus him after an encouter with one of his doggy friends we see most mornings. He loves it. His ears go back, tongue out, trotting along like a streamlined sprinter.

I wouldn't just jump in and start doing marathon distances, I think I'd cark it! I would do the Couch to 5Km podcasts, which builds up the runner's distances through interval training. Kuma would mostly run on the grass beside the footpath - he prefers walking on that than the concrete, I would remain on the footpath coz I'd go A over T if I walked on the slippery grass!

Feedback? Thoughts?

I wouldn't just jump in and start doing marathon distances, I think I'd cark it! I would do the Couch to 5Km podcasts, which builds up the runner's distances through interval training. Kuma would mostly run on the grass beside the footpath - he prefers walking on that than the concrete, I would remain on the footpath coz I'd go A over T if I walked on the slippery grass!

I think that's a great way to start. :) When I got Honey (she was 2), we both started running together, it was great because our fitness increased at the same time.

I have to say though, when we were running longer distances (7-8km) several times a week, she really struggled at the end and often we'd end up having to do a very slow jog or even walk, just to get home. Some dogs/breeds just aren't as good at endurance. :laugh:

So now we do 5kms 4 times a week, 85% of it offlead, on grass & she is much happier. Me too actually. ;)

Sorry, not much help but... there's a dog just down the road that will run forever if you ever want to borrow her. She does try to drag you the whole way though so you'd build up arm strength too :rofl:

Or you can borrow Akira - she'll drag you the whole way too though. :laugh:

Sorry, not much help but... there's a dog just down the road that will run forever if you ever want to borrow her. She does try to drag you the whole way though so you'd build up arm strength too :rofl:

Yeah, thanks girls! That won't increase Kuma's fitness now, will it?? :D

Thanks for the other replies. Looks like I will be downloading the podcasts tonight and we can start in the morning. Wonder if they factor in poo stops? :laugh:

Yeah, thanks girls! That won't increase Kuma's fitness now, will it?? :D

Thanks for the other replies. Looks like I will be downloading the podcasts tonight and we can start in the morning. Wonder if they factor in poo stops? :laugh:

KumaAkita, Are you doing the Couch to 5K challenge? I did that with my Husky a year and a half ago, and at almost 9 years old, he now happily runs 5-8kms 4 times a week (out in front all of the way ;) )! As someone else said, it is great improving your fitness at the same time as your dog. I find it strange to run without a dog now :) .

SmartyPaws - I'll do the Robert Ullrey podcasts. Great that your Husky can do it! I am certain Kuma will love it... we just need to work up to it slowly, don't want to put stress on his joints.

Edited by KumaAkita

I think Kuma will love running with you. As you say, start off slowly and build up speed and distance over time. I run with a dog on either side of me and we all love it. Mind you, there is a park at our half-point mark and we spend about 10 mins walking round it before running home again.

Have fun!

SmartyPaws - I'll do the Robert Ullrey podcasts. Great that your Husky can do it! I am certain Kuma will love it... we just need to work up to it slowly, don't want to put stress on his joints.

I did the Robert Ullrey podcasts too....you'll love it! And so will Kuma..... :D .