Scratch On Nose

Dju

Hugo was recently bitten by a dog on the nose, it's not like (not sure how to describe it) punctured or anything, it basically appears like it's been scraped against concrete or something. Three days later, the scratch is still red and raw looking, and while people keep assuring me that his licking it will make it better, I'm starting to wonder whether I should be putting something on it. The problem is that he likes licking his nose, so I'm kind of worried about putting something on it.

I have antiseptic cream in the First Aid kit, as well as something I used on the chickens when I had wounds called True Blu (it's a purple-colored antiseptic spray). Apparently it tastes terrible. Should I try putting that on his nose? Or any other product (keeping in mind it will instantly get licked after application)?

Dogs HAVE to lick their noses..it's not a matter of 'liking to' ;) So whatever you put on there will get licked off ...it's like us and our lips.

Just remember whatever you put on there will end up in his stomach ,so pick something non toxic! I would just be tempted to bathe it in salty water a few times a day ... 3 days isn't long ...

Argh, fcking hell, my mother threw out the antiseptic spray on a whim, and now I have no idea where to get some more. It's looking a bit nasty, it scabbed over but he scratched his nose on something and the piece of skin is just sort of hanging off his nose and argh! I should get a photo, maybe I'm overreacting.

picture711.png

I'm trying not to!! You can see the little piece of skin hanging off his nose, and there's a lot of scabbing or SOMETHING going on, it's really hard to take a good, clear picture of what's going on. Is it cause for concern, should I take him to the vet? Can they even do anything?

Ok - glad you put the photo up :) looks like he was grabbed on the nose!! They's toof marks , I think! If he were mine.. I'd be off to the vet for a shot of AB's and a good cleanup for that .. it's a bit different to what I imagined... but not worth a panic yet :)

Noses with crusty bits tend to pick up all the dust/etc , and look horrible ..hopefully under that is a healing abrasion. Just leave it be until you can see a vet :)

ARGHghfgh I'm so annoyed at my mother. She thinks that the scabbing is the result of me putting super glue on his nose (which I did NOT do). She's accusing me of putting super glue on his nose because it's what I used to close the large gaping wound on my chicken's head a year back (it was huge, use of super glue was appropriate!). If she didn't let Hugo stick his nose through someone's fence, this wouldn't have bloody happened in the first place. And if she hadn't thrown out the blue antiseptic spray, this would have been done and over with by now, that thing is like a miracle with wounds! The damage used to look so small and "neat" and now it just looks like a mess and I have to take him to the vet and take another hit to my credit card... :mad :mad

Sorry, just had to get that rant out! :mad

She thinks that the scabbing is the result of me putting super glue on his nose
oops . :(

He'll be fine ... harness that anger... write a list of other stuff that the vet can do/check while you're there , so you get your money's worth! lumps/bumps? teeth/ nails? ears?

:)

He's as healthy as a horse :cry: *irrational weeping here*

And I said I didn't put anything on his nose! I'm still trying to look for online suppliers of that non-toxic blue antiseptic spray but it's proving difficult to find. :cry:

That'll heal just fine. I'd wash it once or twice a day with warm salty water and dab a bit of betadine on it and just let it be. If you have papaw ointment you can put some on there but anything you put on he will lick off :laugh:

Sarge did much worse to his nose 2yrs ago and I did the above and it healed perfectly. Never went pink or grey, straight back to black.

Daina currently has a cut on her nose that's going through the pink healing stage but it will go back to black thankfully. I washed it for a while and now do nothing.

Topic I started when Sarge hurt his nose http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/161134-scraped-his-nose/page__p__3482455__fromsearch__1#entry3482455

Not sure how Hugo would go with it but to stop Sarge from licking the papaw off, I would get him on my bed at bedtime and put the papaw on and then gentle hold his muzzle shut and stroke it until he fell asleep. I only needed to hold his muzzle for less than a minute and he wouldn't try to lick it and then once he was asleep it got a chance to really sink in.

That'll heal just fine. I'd wash it once or twice a day with warm salty water and dab a bit of betadine on it and just let it be.

Yep. Betadine antiseptic spray is awesome stuff. :thumbsup:

It will probably take a while to completely heal, just because his nose will get into everything and descab it over and over. But it will get there. :)

Betadine is our preference here for face wounds. Cetrigen (Antibacterial Wound Spray) is also used but mainly if there is flys etc around.

Poor baby - nose looks awful but a gentle bathe in warm water might help keep it clean without adding anything to the wound if you are heading off to the vet. Otherwise warm salty water and Betadine should help.

scabbing is part of normal healing

Red raw and pus filled is sign of infection and will need treating with antibiotics.

Honey is mildy antibiotic especially the NZ manuka honey - but that will probalby increase the licking.

I like to put aloe vera as that's really good for wound healing - but maybe not on the nose because it tastes HORRIBLE even to a dog, and in large quantities - toxic. But I put it other places I don't want her to lick like occasional leg wounds and her spey site when she was little.

I agree with warm salty water bath. It's worth a try. Not too salty or that will sting.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

There's no puss whatsoever thankfully, I'm just worried that it's healing too slow. I actually DO have paw paw ointment so I tried putting some on his nose and doing what you did with Sarge, Mim. I held his muzzle closed and he just stared at me in that "why are you doing this horrible thing to me" way and he wouldn't fall asleep. So I tried to press his head against the floor gently in a way that kept his mouth closed, but he still stuck his tongue out and licked his nose. Luckily I spread it so thick that there's still a film of it over his nose, so we'll see how that goes.

Hugo was bitten at the dog park today (sigh). The tip of his ear has been nicked, and my mother revealed she was hiding the bottle of Tru Blu, so we could then spray some on his ear, thankfully.

This is really not his week. :(