Oscars Law

DobieMum

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[There is plenty of information on purebred dogs on the Web. Most breeders and breed clubs have websites. There are whole websites devoted to matching people with purebred dogs suitable for them.

But you're not talking about people who research breeds here. Impulse buying and buying a dog that fails to live up to your expectations is what sees dogs dumped. Buy from soneone who doesn't give a damn about the kind of home the pup is going to and the chances of dumpage grow exponentially.

i agree 100% with this statement, this is what i've been trying to say and poodlefan said it better :) not long winded like i.

some clubs invite the public to open days where the breeders get together and let the public ask questions and hold puppies and it is great great PR for the breeds involved. :) I personally walk my dogs down busy streets and i get people coming up wanting to chat, ALSO i have a website where i invite the public to ask me questions on dogs and that is rescues plus pedigrees. both equally i just love dogs so willing to help. this creates quite a bit of traffic for me so i can then educate on the no-no's of petshop buys and direct people to a more appropriate purchase of their pet. however, you do get the ignorumesus's for instance, one lady who asked me for a pomchi, i politely pointed out it is a pom cross chi and where to get one i.e. shelter not a BYB or farm then she got all defensive claiming that is the name they are called and then started calling me very nasty names, her last email before i blocked her abuse out was get your pedigree dogs and my head and shove it up my behind all because i politely suggested to her that it is called a pomeranian cross :o . :laugh: so you are always going to get people out there that think they know better and dn't want to be educated, their loss. :laugh: its always entertaining those types of people i must say.

Here's what you get when you type "what dog breed is right for me" into Google

Hardly a dearth of information online about it.

A lot of folk genuinely believe that the only real differences between dog breeds are physical. Personally I believe this perception colours a lot of the more ignorant dog welfare types attitudes.

And of course the recognition that a crossbred pup is a conformation and behavioural lottery doesn't sit well with the "save them all" brigade.

Edited by poodlefan

No these bitches are straight from the puppy farms.

no i think what is being said is these dogs are being bought from a puppy farm for thousands of dollars???? so the farmer yet again wins big by selling to rescues so whoever they sell to doesn't matter to the farmer as long as they make their money. play on the emotions of the people trying to help the dogs. this wouldnt' help anything i don't believe it would only serve to encourage?????? where do the rescue get all this money to buy the dogs, when most are crying out for more funding? :confused:

You cann't regulate people into caring, or valuing animals more than they do. Educate maybe, but that's another story. Rules don't educate people.

efs - again!

what does EFS mean can i ask? i just think this is an excellent point. im looking from the puppy farm end and what the government said they'll do, make tougher laws before they came into office in VIC at least, but it helps no one least of all the dogs. and they have all these laws in place like height of cages yadda yadda yadda, yet able to keep their dogs on chook wire every day - it must hurt the dogs poor little paws, they sit in their plastic bowls or beds all day to get away from the wire :( , they give birth on this wire so the poo can fall through to the bottom and it stays there, the metal sheds they are kept in i often wonder how hot it is in the summer and how cold it is in the winter all they have is fans to keep the dogs cool in summer no air-conditioner like my dogs get. I often look at my own dogs and think how these dogs must be suffering and how i can't do anything about it. it makes me sad..... :( this farm was found to be operating illegally they didn't even have a licence in the start then continued to flout the law with other various things but still everyone knows about them and they still continue to exist, now they have a licence i believe. by rights you keep on breaking the law you don't get to operate a farm or own animals as steve says, but time and time again these people still get to to do these horrible crimes against animals, and some are licenced - no one can stop them. i know about this one personally as i have had the misfortunate to meet and grow up with one of the operators much to my embarrassment they are a waste of space..... i know how they operate they are a cold cold person i know what lengths they go to with their animals care factor is ZERO. same person who tried to get our dogs in the beginning at that time was just a BYB but now a fully fledged puppy farm. thank god we had enough sense to desex all of our dogs before selling in this area as they even had the gall to send along people to try and trick us into selling at one stage.

no i think what is being said is these dogs are being bought from a puppy farm for thousands of dollars???? so the farmer yet again wins big by selling to rescues so whoever they sell to doesn't matter to the farmer as long as they make their money. play on the emotions of the people trying to help the dogs. this wouldnt' help anything i don't believe it would only serve to encourage?????? where do the rescue get all this money to buy the dogs, when most are crying out for more funding? :confused:

Actually . These bitches are being given to "rescue" and "saved" by rescue from these terrible puppy farmers - from there they are used by "rescue" as breeding dogs - puppies sold of as "rescued from a puppy farm"

Or bitches are being sold or given to "rescue" and sold off pregnant or as breeding pairs.

And in our organisation breeders, rescue and owners all come together and work well as a team to do the right thing by the dogs - I will never ever agree that Oscars Law is animal welfare. Oscars Law is animal rights - with the front lady 100% animal liberation.

That is exactly what I said Toy dog. The pf now has more money to replace the sold bitch. Rescues dont have to have the money. ;)

Im not that sure that its all as simple as some of you seem to think it is.

What is it to be - do we allow registered breeders to do as they wish and breed more dogs in family homes - therefore give them exemptions to mandatory codes and dont belt into them about how many they own or breed.

The theory being there are more registered pups available so therefore worth someone's while to promote them or not?

Registered breeders are chucking it in and leaving in droves, less and less registered dogs are being bred every year and saying you breed dogs - especially purebred dogs in some circles gets you treated like pond scum.

Why on earth would registered breeders spend money and use energy to draw attention to themselves and promote a product that is in such short supply - a product they couldnt breed enough of to fill the demand.

Which by the way brings us back to full cirlcle doesnt it.

If you want anyone to breed dogs based on current regs in the state of Victoria - purebred or other wise you have to apply for a DA - which may bring down Oscars law onto you where even your own peers are backing them in.

The point is some people treat animals badly and breed them badly and as a result some people feel that the best way to try to monitor that is to know who is breeding and where they are - in order to do that you have to back off and allow them to feel safe enough to apply or EVERYONE will stop applying. If I lived there I sure as hell wouldnt apply for a DA to breed dogs.

Edited by Steve

Ok, let’s look at things differently.

Do you support whaling in protected waters or otherwise?

Do you support clubbing baby seals in front of their mothers?

Do you support bears being trapped in cages for their bile?

Do you support the black market trade in Rhino horns, Gorillas feet and hands, Elephant tusks and god knows what else?

Animal rights groups bring these sad pictures to the world by being there. If not for them we would have no clue really of what is really going on out there. Tangible PROOF and yes the real story. They make a difference.

So, what is the difference with companion animals I ask? With a massive number of family pets being silently PTS in shelters and pounds.

Sorry, have read through the rest of the posts and it is too backward in thinking for me to respond.

Talk abaout the definition of insanity; Do the same thing over and over again and hope for a different result.

Ok, let’s look at things differently.

Do you support whaling in protected waters or otherwise?

Do you support clubbing baby seals in front of their mothers?

Do you support bears being trapped in cages for their bile?

Do you support the black market trade in Rhino horns, Gorillas feet and hands, Elephant tusks and god knows what else?

Animal rights groups bring these sad pictures to the world by being there. If not for them we would have no clue really of what is really going on out there. Tangible PROOF and yes the real story. They make a difference.

So, what is the difference with companion animals I ask? With a massive number of family pets being silently PTS in shelters and pounds.

I do not support animal cruelty yet there is no way i will ever support any group/s that speak of 'ethical' but lie, steal and perform illegal acts under the guise of 'rescue' to get their own way.

I have no respect and will never support them in any way.

If I lived there I sure as hell wouldnt apply for a DA to breed dogs.

ah but wait they'll still find you, locals talk and some even go as far as to dob in anyone seeing doing the wrong thing by the animals. ;)

so you won't get away with it :scold: na ah ah :laugh: (always wanted to use that emoticon and now i found a reason to :laugh: )

Edited by toy dog

apparently i am being told that this subject has been done to death over the years a few posts back someone said this sorry i can't be bothered to look back.

i am not a regular i've been on DOL since 2004 but disappear for months at a time i was unaware of this subject.

i still find this discussion facinating and perhaps if the people who are saying this has been done to death perhaps don't read this thread if people are so sick of it??? just a suggestion ;)

im not the only one repeating myself as many are trying to get their points across. all good. im also not the only one that is sometimes maybe a bit off topic.

i don't want to start trouble with anyone especially people i don't know, but being told these things is bound to get up anyone's nose especially when we are all on a public forum and wanting to participate as best as we can. ok enough said....this in itself is :offtopic: so back on topic.

If I lived there I sure as hell wouldnt apply for a DA to breed dogs.

ah but wait they'll still find you, locals talk and some even go as far as to dob in anyone seeing doing the wrong thing by the animals. ;)

so you won't get away with it :scold: na ah ah :laugh: (always wanted to use that emoticon and now i found a reason to :laugh: )

Well thank God you only have two dogs then and never breed from your premises :thumbsup:

apparently i am being told that this subject has been done to death over the years a few posts back someone said this sorry i can't be bothered to look back.

i am not a regular i've been on DOL since 2004 but disappear for months at a time i was unaware of this subject.

i still find this discussion facinating and perhaps if the people who are saying this has been done to death perhaps don't read this thread if people are so sick of it??? just a suggestion ;)

im not the only one repeating myself as many are trying to get their points across. all good. im also not the only one that is sometimes maybe a bit off topic.

i don't want to start trouble with anyone especially people i don't know, but being told these things is bound to get up anyone's nose especially when we are all on a public forum and wanting to participate as best as we can. ok enough said....this in itself is :offtopic: so back on topic.

I dont think its been done to death or it would be dead and as far as Im concerned it very much alive and kicking and hopefully along the way people will start to think and consider the big picture rather than what we all think we know.

So you stand by everything you have written on your website?