Deciding On A Breed To Suit

lopolla

I currently have a White shep who is nearing 18 months old. She is independent and has a lot of energy, she loves her ball. MY partner and i want to get another dog by the end of the year maybe. He had his mind set on a whippet but is now thinking he would like a greyhound.

I just wanted to see what people thought a good match would be for my girl. We want a medium to larger sized dog with short to smooth coat. Just after suggestions and ideas :)

Yep. Go the Greyhound. :D Fantastic dogs, the ones we've fostered have always got along with other dogs famously. Some are more into games than others (ie. not all are couch potatos!!) I love them. They are amazingly easy and pleasant to live with.

Yep. Go the Greyhound. :D Fantastic dogs, the ones we've fostered have always got along with other dogs famously. Some are more into games than others (ie. not all are couch potatos!!) I love them. They are amazingly easy and pleasant to live with.

our friend is fostering one at the moment and shes a beautiful pooch, so gently and loving!

Personally I think dogs do best with dogs similar in temperament and characteristics to them. Are there any working breeds that appeal or do you want to move away from such dogs?

i love working breed dogs. however this is my partners first dog and i dont want to force him into what i want haha. he really likes the greyhounds and whippets etc. i just thought if i got some suggestions i could also let him know what other people have said from experience etc so he has a good base to make a decision.

Personally I think dogs do best with dogs similar in temperament and characteristics to them. Are there any working breeds that appeal or do you want to move away from such dogs?

i love working breed dogs. however this is my partners first dog and i dont want to force him into what i want haha. he really likes the greyhounds and whippets etc. i just thought if i got some suggestions i could also let him know what other people have said from experience etc so he has a good base to make a decision.

Is your girl a rough or boistrous player? A full on GSD would probably intimidate a Whippet. I can't vouch for Greys.

Is your girl a rough or boistrous player? A full on GSD would probably intimidate a Whippet. I can't vouch for Greys.

shes not too bad, she can be, but ive seen her calm down around smaller dogs. however she has played with chewbaccas whippet a bit, they were good together.

My 3 year old greyhound plays quite well with my quite boisterous young Leonberger and my 60kg Pyrenean mountain dog. The greyhound rescue I dealt with knew she was coming into a household with large active dogs (at the time I also had an Alaskan malamute) and selected her personality to suit.

My 3 year old greyhound plays quite well with my quite boisterous young Leonberger and my 60kg Pyrenean mountain dog. The greyhound rescue I dealt with knew she was coming into a household with large active dogs (at the time I also had an Alaskan malamute) and selected her personality to suit.

we aren't sure if we are going to go rescue or puppy yet, just see what suits at the time i guess!

It'd definitely depend a lot on the individual dog. I've had some greys that prefer quiet, solo games (collecting up nice things and arranging them in bed) but a few who've really enjoyed boisterous play and needed a home with a more active breed of dog.

One of our current fosters is absolutely nuts about play so we're hoping to find her a home with some kind of working breed (because I have no doubt she'd drive a more quiet dog bonkers :p )

we aren't sure if we are going to go rescue or puppy yet, just see what suits at the time i guess!

My rescue greyhound came to me as a puppy (occasionally some rescues have puppies, I don't know how frequently they pop up though). Good luck with your search for a new family member!

What about a boxer? I am biased but I haven't ever suggested my breed in one of these threads before. This is the first time a person's requirements matched enough for me to suggest it! A boxer might be a good match for your dog as far as size and energy levels go? They LOVE to play. :laugh:

They tick the box for a short smooth coat too. Lovely and low fuss.

Good luck in your breed search. :)

What about a boxer? I am biased but I haven't ever suggested my breed in one of these threads before. This is the first time a person's requirements matched enough for me to suggest it! A boxer might be a good match for your dog as far as size and energy levels go? They LOVE to play. :laugh:

They tick the box for a short smooth coat too. Lovely and low fuss.

Good luck in your breed search. :)

thanks, i definitely like boxers! will have to suggest it to the other half. :)

Lopolla, what does your partner want to do with this dog?

Does he want an easily trained dog? Will it do a lot of off lead walking? How much exercise will it get?

What's his personality like? Is he a calm, unflappable kind of guy or will a dog that doesn't respond immediately to his cues make him frustrated or angry?

Edited by poodlefan

Would be a rare saluki indeed that would relish the company of a more boisterous working breed. :laugh: You're right though, they are lovely.

Our last foster grey drove all our borzoi nuts - far too energetic for them! If she wasn't busy, busy around the yard she was standing at the back door with a toy in her mouth and tail wagging waiting for anyone to come play fetch.

It can come down to individuals within a breed just as much as different breed types sometimes!!

Is the GSD an outside only dog or will both dogs share the same routine during the day(inside)out)??

Our Greys get on like a house on fire with any of our other dogs but generally they self exercised doing zoomies in the backyard & then veged out on the lounge the rest of the time.

I agree with a Boxer or a Vizsla.I don't think you can have a greyhound off lead they can take off accross roads.In our area greyhounds must wear a muzzle when out walking.

that is something i worry about, a greyhound may not have good recall, especially if we rescue one!