Choosing A Dog For Dog Sports?

I think it's important that you get a dog that you can 'live' with but I'd say that wanting to participate in sports (whether dogly or otherwise) is part of 'living' with the dog and I don't see anything wrong with choosing from certain categories of dogs (and excluding other categories) based on what you might hope to do with that dog.

If you would like to take the dog long distance running, swimming and through agility - there are certain dogs that you would probably not choose. It doesn't mean that you see a dog as a tool or a piece of equipment or even that you will discard the dog if it can't do the sports you want - it just means that you're trying to increase the odds of that dog being able to participate and participate without injury. If you wanted to go to extremely high levels of obedience, there are probably dogs that you wouldn't take on unless you were an extremely experienced trainer/wanted to 'prove' something/wanted a challenge?

Also, most dogs are very multi-talented. A Kelpie for instance can go well (with the right handler :p) at agility, obedience, flyball, herding and just running along with the owner. A Kelpie is also excellent for doing tricks, keeping you company, giving you cuddles and kisses and keeping you entertained with its goofy antics. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to compete with my dogs and I certainly didn't choose them on that basis, but it's nice that the option is there if I want it.

Edited by koalathebear

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's important that you get a dog that you can 'live' with but I'd say that wanting to participate in sports (whether dogly or otherwise) is part of 'living' with the dog and I don't see anything wrong with choosing from certain categories of dogs (and excluding other categories) based on what you might hope to do with that dog.

I was going to say this, isn't what you want to do with the dog part of your 'lifestyle'? Dog training is certainly part of my lifestyle.

In our agility class, we don't really have any dogs that do not have the potential to be at least good agility dogs. There are a range of breeds.

I second the suggestion of getting your hands on a copy of Pat Hastings' 'Structure in Motion', it is great! Lots of pictures and easy to follow and makes you find faults in your own dogs LOL.

Yep get a dog that suits your lifestyle for sure because otherwise if something should happen and your dog is unable to compete you still have to live with the dog you have selected - and yes accidents can and do happen despite all good intentions.

It's also worth remembering it's not just the dog, it's the combination of dog and handler.

My OH handles our girl at herding and does better with her as he has stronger commands to get her to back off the sheep. I handle my boy and do better because I am softer and he's less likely to shut down (although I'm going to need to toughen up a bit to get him to the next level now he's getting the hang of it). When we have to handle both dogs as one of us is away we both stuggle with the swap.

So some 'defincencies' in the dogs can be compensated for with the right human :)

I agonized over this for a very long time, I am very picky about what I want in a dog and hadn't found a breed I thought ticked all my boxes - I was going to get another beagle just because there wasn't really anything else I wanted and I figured why not just go with what I know :laugh:

But I stumbled upon the breed for me and I just know it is the right choice :)

I think you have to look at the criteria of what you want in every way - for example, I wanted a dog that would be high energy with loads of drive but I didn't want anything with a super hard temperament, I wanted something medium size without a high maintenance coat etc etc. These were all things I had to have to be happy to live with the dog and to be happy training it for what I wanted to do with it. There are probably a number of other breeds I'd be happy to live with that didn't fit the criteria for everything else I wanted in a dog too.

RV - Brittany's were one of the breed I considered! I really like them :)

In terms of physical suitability I recommend you get a copy of Pat Hastings book: Structure in action.

I really don't see the problem in asking for suggestions about which breeds may be more suitable and successful in agility.

Do you honestly think the OP is just going to rehome or dump a dog if its not suitable?

Would you get a labrador if you wanted to do herding trials? I am sure they could be taught to do it, but it would be an uphill battle compared to dogs bred for this purpose.

Why would you get a breed that may srtuggle or not enjoy agility, especially if you want to do the higher levels?

Many breeds just aren't built for lots of jumping and tight turning and you may be risking their health competing them frequently at te highest levels.

The best recommendation is to go to agility trials and training, see which dogs you like both on and off course and enquire about their breeding.

I don't like the buying a dog for sport concept. A dog is not a piece of sporting equipment. Buy a dog that suits you and then see how you go with sports.

While agility is open to all breeds, and there are many that can do well, other sports are not open to all breeds, so you would have to pick from breeds eligible to compete.

Not only do I like a challenge but I'm a sucker for elegant and pretty dogs :o

My first love are Labs, and I choose them before the sport. We have fun in agility and are doing reasonably well! We won't be competitive at masters level, but that is ok with me :)

I want an Aussie Shepherd next, but I want to pursue retrieving some more, so it brings me back to Labs!

I like the look of the show lines (kept lean), so I will get another show line Lab for retrieving even though I know a working line would be much better suited.

I wanted my next dog to be competitive in agility and was thinking along the lines of kelpie/BC/Koolie.

Somehow ended up with a labrador. Even though she's probably not going to be suited to the highest levels of agility (although it still remains to be seen ;)) , there is no way I would rehome or dump her for that reason.

Honest question- how many people do end up rehoming unsuitable dog sport prospects? Is it commonplace in the dog sport world to just rehome an unsuitable dog and move on to a better prospect?

My first love are Labs, and I choose them before the sport. We have fun in agility and are doing reasonably well! We won't be competitive at masters level, but that is ok with me :)

I want an Aussie Shepherd next, but I want to pursue retrieving some more, so it brings me back to Labs!

I like the look of the show lines (kept lean), so I will get another show line Lab for retrieving even though I know a working line would be much better suited.

:thumbsup:

I should probably get a WL border collie but I do prefer the ANKC ones. The dogs are pets first here. To be honest I only do dog sports because of the breed I have. I wouldn't do sports if the dogs didn't like it and get something out of it.

I know skip too and have seen her at trials recently - was impressed actually because her dog was tugging and I am still struggling to get mine to tug away from home :laugh:

I have two dogs I haven't competed with. Not because I didn't want to, but one has aggression issues and the other has health issues. I didn't find them another home, but I certainly want to maximise my chances of being able to compete with future dogs, and breed (and breeder) selection is part of that.

Training, exercising and competing is part of my lifestyle with the dogs, and I chose breeds that would enjoy that as well as breeds that I liked for other reasons. There are some breeds whose appearance I really like but who are not likely to enjoy training as much so I will not get them

The other big thing to consider here if we are talking about dogs you can live with first is...how accurate a picture can you get of this by seeing dogs at training or trials?

My girls can look a little wild at trials, quivering, pulling on lead to get into the ring, making horrible whining noises etc. Peppi looks positively dopey and is often untethered & just trots around beside Chloe.

People are always surprised when they come to my house that they are the other way around at home. Trim & Shine will certainly be up for a ball game with anyone who comes to visit, but they are excellent pets, quiet, easy to contain & generally just happy to lay around. I knew this as I got to know their lines well & observed them in a home environment before I decided they were right for me. Had I only seen them at trials, I probably would have thought they were too full on. Not sure about Fly yet, she's pretty full on, but most puppies are. She has learnt to settle well in a crate though.

Pep is a lot more demanding. She is noisier, doesn't like to be left alone & much more demanding of our time. she also seems to spend a lot more time tearing around the yard like a maniac.

I would hate anyone seeing her at a trial to get one thinking she was a quiet lapdog. She's not.

People have such different ideas of what quiet etc is too. My quiet might not be someone else's.

Then there is the effect of the owner. I am quiet and all my dogs have been pretty calm.

So get a dog that has a pretty colour :thumbsup: . Joking!

Still need more info from the OP though. What size dog etc.

The other big thing to consider here if we are talking about dogs you can live with first is...how accurate a picture can you get of this by seeing dogs at training or trials?

This is so true! My dogs are very energetic and excited after before and class at Dog School and in new situations - Elbie is super focused and intense at agility ... but at home, they are vegie couch potatoes that can play hard but mostly like chilling out in their dog beds, crates or on our bed :p Every time we say we have Kelpies, people always say: "Wow, they must be very high energy and hard to look after," and they never believe me when I tell them how placid and calm they are at home ....

damn I wish I had read this before I got my new pup :laugh: . Maybe it's true :) My 2 pretty colored dogs have been much easier to live with than my 5 common colored dogs. No wonder people charge and pay more for pretty colours!!! And all this time I have thought these people were idiots. Now I know the real reason!

Edited by Vickie

damn I wish I had read this before I got my new pup :laugh: . Maybe it's true :) My 2 pretty colored dogs have been much easier to live with than my 5 common colored dogs. No wonder people charge and pay more for pretty colours!!! And all this time I have judged people for it.

You have a new pup???

Woi wasnt' I told?? :scold:

Hi all :D

This OP has just bolted home from work and now have to go out. Tonight is a dinner to give our thanks to our two main agility instructors who are just going to have a little break from teaching for a while. The program of agility they devised was a great source of knowledge and some lucky people like me are so grateful.

But thanks so much everyone for your replies.

I knew it was hard to ask this question without coming across badly and some people do have the questionable benefit of knowing me. :)

As soon as I can as I must fly I will re-read your replies and reply.

:)

Edited by skip

HI

Maybe I can give a little more info...

I don't really have a fave breed as such but often will just click with a certain dog. Just one look and you seem to connect with some dogs.

poodlefan - in the past I have fallen in love with poodles (all sizes) :D , kelpies and kelpie/bc crosses, .helties, brittany, ESS, foxy x's, GSP's , coolies.

I am drawn to dogs that are people focused, lean, short coated, very soft and clingy ( maybe not so good in agility dog). And easily excited so that I get a wriggley bum thing happening.

As a dog owner I provide the best care I can and is my job to give them a happy life. I brought a house backing onto a pony club ( private training land :thumbsup: ) and when you walk over the creek about 6 playing fields. From here I can get onto miles of bike track around the lake. And the beach is nearby. Great place to exercise that more energetic dog. As a short exercise option I can throw the ball over the land directly behind my place. Dogs allowed inside etc. My dogs get walked very day for an hour, trained some days, agility twice a week and obedience if not competing Sat.

As a trainer (try to be) I think I am pretty soft, excitable, emotive, positive and try hard. I think my trainer might say I was keen, talkative, soft Or maybe she'd say I am not as consistant as she would like. :D And I reward too much sometimes.

But I do love my dogs as we all do. I understand JulesP's comments and maybe I should rephrase. Like FHRP posts - I don't mean a competitive dog who must win. But a dog that is capable of competing and might enjoy competing at higher levels. One that will be happy to run. So I can enter more runs at a trial. So I get to practice more skills!

My dogs - I have a chi x. She is a very timid and it is a BIG ask for her to run in a trial situation. I am very happy if she decides she will run and she only has "not at all" or "flat out". I love running her but I only ask her to do it once each trial now.

The other is a kelpie x chi who is 40cm and physically capable. However he is the most laid back dog. Even at home and on walks. He wouldn't be chasing balls or running around. He likes the odd play with a quiet small dog. I have just got him tugging.

I struggle with building motivation. However due to good instruction at my club the handling is not so much a problem. Both dogs are easy to handle and read me so well. They both go where you ask them to.

But neither dog would enjoy doing multiple runs. I adopted my dogs 7 years ago roughly and they are the best. They are so easy to live with (now :laugh: ). They are no trouble and such a joy. And I think Iam extra proud of them cause they maybe didn't get the best start.

Both dogs enjoy trials only cause it means they are with me. The chi likes the BBQ chicken reward but the kelpie would be just as happy on someone's chair ( or lap ).

So that gives more background? If I get a different type of dog and it is not so motivated then I will smack myself and try harder.

I don't know of anyone who rehomes their "slow" agility dogs. Which is why many have multiple dogs.

If I didn't do agility I would probably not get another dog but foster. Or if I did it would be a failed foster or small JR/ foxy type dog.

Thank you for the info on structure. I can see how conformation is important.

I'm interested in what people have said about rescue dogs. As Woofen says I have heard that dogs in care take a while to show their true natures.

Weasles - if I did go with a rescue i thought that I would try for a dog with tug and toy drive already. And not a timid nature. More dog social and confident.

Thanks for your help everyone!