Places To See Driving Between Sydney And Jindabyne

lovemesideways

The BF and I are heading to the snow next week and taking the dogs with us!

So on the way down from Sydney, are there any cool places we could stop with the dogs along the way? Cool photography opportunitys also welcome!

We're staying in Dalgety on a massive property so we'll have huge space to run the dogs around and there's a secure area for them to stay while we drive up to the snow for snowboarding fun a few times during the week.

I know the dogs aren't allowed in the national parks, so is there anywhere else where there's snow that we could take them?

Any ideas on other places in the area we could drive to are also welcome :D pretty excited!

If there is no snow around Dalgety you are not likely to find it outside the National Parks - it has been pretty warm and rainy the last week.

Berrima is a nice picturesque village to walk around and there are usually a few cafes open where you can have dogs outside.

Lake George, the disappearing lake, is worth a 5 minute stop and leg stretch.

Lots of interesting things to see in Canberra and if you want to let the dogs out to run around in a safe area you can buy day membership in the mornings at the Canberra Companion Dog Club and they will have a fenced field to play in.

Plenty of places to walk near the lakes in Canberra as well although Lake Burley Griffin is largely an on lead area.

Next place I would stop after that is Jindabyne but some others may know other places. You can let the dogs run around by the lake there too. After that you are almost at Dalgety.

Have a good time and I hope you find some snow for them.

If there is no snow around Dalgety you are not likely to find it outside the National Parks - it has been pretty warm and rainy the last week.

Berrima is a nice picturesque village to walk around and there are usually a few cafes open where you can have dogs outside.

Lake George, the disappearing lake, is worth a 5 minute stop and leg stretch.

Lots of interesting things to see in Canberra and if you want to let the dogs out to run around in a safe area you can buy day membership in the mornings at the Canberra Companion Dog Club and they will have a fenced field to play in.

Plenty of places to walk near the lakes in Canberra as well although Lake Burley Griffin is largely an on lead area.

Next place I would stop after that is Jindabyne but some others may know other places. You can let the dogs run around by the lake there too. After that you are almost at Dalgety.

Have a good time and I hope you find some snow for them.

Thanks!! Writing everything down!

Lets hope it gets colder and snows in Dalgety :thumbsup: hehe.

If I was going that way - I would stop off here

http://www.brunostruffels.com.au/

And then stop off in one of the nature reserves on the way south and eat all the truffles and pastries...

If you can find Point Hut picnic reserve - that's nice.

I'm not sure if Tharwa Homestead, Cuppacumbalong or Namadgi national park would be pleased to see dogs but there are lots of other open spaces and Tuggeranong is bound to have a fenced dog park somewhere - although the one at Lake Ginenderra (north side) was a bit boring.

There is also the space dishes at Tidbinbilla

Cupacumbalong is closed. There is a fenced dog park on Lake Tuggeranong. Bruno's Truffles is excellent (I especially recommend the banana truffles) and their bread is lovely and it is not not far from me but it does mean coming to the south side of Canberra which will take you away from your main route. Are you intending to stop overnight en route to Dalgety?

My fave Brunos are the plain dark. But I also love the honey truffles, the rum truffles (even tho I don't like rum), the grand manier truffles, the kirch truffles...

And I really don't like sausage rolls, but I can eat Bruno's sausage rolls hot or cold, no need for sauce - plenty of yummy spices already in. And really light flakey pastry.

Shame about cupa... was a nice artsy crafts centre.

Bruno moved from Narrabunda to Mawson because it is less of a detour off the Monaro Highway for the Sydney -> Thredbo travellers. And I detour off the road from Adelaide to Mudgee/Sydney to pick up truffels. I guess it depends how much you like fine chocolate.

My fave Brunos are the plain dark. But I also love the honey truffles, the rum truffles (even tho I don't like rum), the grand manier truffles, the kirch truffles...

And I really don't like sausage rolls, but I can eat Bruno's sausage rolls hot or cold, no need for sauce - plenty of yummy spices already in. And really light flakey pastry.

Shame about cupa... was a nice artsy crafts centre.

Bruno moved from Narrabunda to Mawson because it is less of a detour off the Monaro Highway for the Sydney -> Thredbo travellers. And I detour off the road from Adelaide to Mudgee/Sydney to pick up truffels. I guess it depends how much you like fine chocolate.

Brunos also makes the best coffee eclairs I have ever tasted and I have tried them all over the world. I agree about his sausage rolls.

My bf wants to go to the snow next week too...only we won't have the dogs, they'll be staying at my parents

Can anyone suggest somewhere that actually has snow...and is reasonably cheap to stay for just one night?

Lots of snow everywhere this week - cheapest place to stay would be Cooma and drive down.

My bf wants to go to the snow next week too...only we won't have the dogs, they'll be staying at my parents

Can anyone suggest somewhere that actually has snow...and is reasonably cheap to stay for just one night?

Lots of snow everywhere this week - cheapest place to stay would be Cooma and drive down.

Actually there has been a lot of rain over the last few days, or in snow talk wet snow.!!

I

:D :D :D

282503_200517163336474_158590230862501_521327_5435840_n.jpg

You could try Bimblegumbie in Crackenback as a place to stay - it's pet friendly and they sometimes get snow. Though I contacted them about 3 weeks ago as to whether they had snow for Orbit and they didn't.

I ended up driving out towards Mount Selwyn rather than Thredbo and just did the naughty and pulled over on the side of the road for Orbit to have a quick play in the snow. There was plenty of snow on the Snowy Mountains Highway and we didn't even take the turn off towards Mt Selwyn Snow Fields. It was so beautiful too - lots of open space and brumbies galore!!! No other cars around too.

There's a town past the Mt Selwyn Snow Fields called Cabrumura - this was where we had planned to go, thinking we might find somewhere to let Orbit off, but we didn't need to. I wonder if you could perhaps find accommodation there? I would guess the town has snow considering where it is.