Pit Bull Vs Bull Terrier Attacks In The Media.

yeah, im not sure i could handle a Mini..

then again, i do have Kaos who never stops!!

I just had to go drag At out of his kennel, push him inside and now he is asleep on the lounge.. ahh its the life!

The Bull Terrier was never designed as a fighting dig. It's maker, James Hinks, wanted a dig to compete in the new sport of dog showing. He took the old bulldog, various terriers and the dalmatian to create a dog that could win in the show ring. His design was for a pure white dog that also filled the need as a gentleman's companion - hence the name White Caviler. Would someone designing a dog for fighting really care about coat colour, and why use predominately non fighting breeds in the mix.

But I so agree that the general public couldn't identify one if it jump up and bit them on the butt as the saying goes.

A point that many people, even those who claim to know their " Bull Breeds", are not aware of.

Heaps of people just pinned a label that BT's are Pigdogs too.

The head shape of BT's stand out in a crowd for sure. But that doesn't matter, people get conditioned from a young age to believe so much that isn't necessarily true. The oldies say they are pigdogs or pitbulls,so they must be, that sticks around in the noggin and then they pass it on down to their own kids.

Same with a lot of mindless dribble in the papers, like the latest pit bull furore, pointed out it's a mixed mutt, fly's right over the head and the saga continues.

Not arguing that your dog is docile...more so the breed in general. Mini's are pretty full on...though mine at this moment is cuttin' Zzzzzz's on the loungeroom floor. :laugh:

Well there you have it, the one that I didn't include in docile numbers is a mini, I didn't realise that was a characteristic difference.

For a dog breed that is "banned" in Australia, there sure seem to be a lot of "pit bulls" around... if you believe the media hype...

T.

Pit Bulls are only banned from being bred and sold, not owned and then only in some states, so there are still plenty around. Stupidly the bans only affect supposed pure breds, not the even more dangerous crossbreds and as APBT are not an officially recogised breed in Aust, how can anyone declare a dog purebred? As far as I'm concerned if looks like a Pit Bull/Amstaff and does not have ANKC papers and a matching microchip to prove it is a purebred Amstaff or SBT, it should be deemed to be a Pit Bull.

Before the legislation came in almost the only breed seen in my area were Pit Bulls and crosses of them. There are a few little crossbred terrier types, SWFs and the odd pure bred of other breeds, especially SBTs but by far most dogs seen on or offlead around where I live, were Pitbull/Amstaff types or crosses of these breeds. Every group of young louts seem to have several with them wherever they went. Thankfully the numbers seem to be decreasing gradually as the ban takes effect over a generation but it is still not safe to walk dogs around my suburb. The most human aggressive dog I have ever seen was a Pit Bull, the most damage I have seen done to a dogs or horses have also been by Pit Bulls, so I make no apology for having no sympathy towards the breed. In all these cases the breed was confirmed by the owners.

We used have a Bull Terrier live next door many years ago but I haven't seen one, other than at shows, in years. There just aren't the numbers of them and they tend to be owned by enthusiasts of the breed who keep them safely contained, not yobbos who are attracted to the true fighting breeds. With lower numbers, more placid temperaments with people and more responsible owners you would not expect them to figure highly in attack statistics.

Hi, I was always under the impression that the term pit bull described a type of dog - a bully breed or cross. Unless the dog is a American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) or an Staffordshire Bull Terrier SBT or American Staff, or Bull Terrier and registered as such, then all the other dogs are "pit bulls" which describes a type (which can be a crossbreed APBT, AM, SBT or Bull Terrier). Because of this it is extremely difficult to tell the animals apart.

I really don't think the general public is interested if it is pure bred dog or not, what they are concerned about is a bully breed (cross or not) are involved with dog attacks.

Get rid of sites like Gumtree that advertise these dogs, get rid of pet shops selling puppies, only purchase from registered breeders or from a rescue organisation and enforce the laws with very high fines and/or jail terms for breaking these laws- in fact I would like to see what happens in some European countries - you have to get a licence before getting a dog and no dog will be sold to you until you have the licence and can prove that you will be responsible. We could learn a lot from these countries - dogs are welcome almost everywhere and you don't have the issues we have here.

what she said :thumbsup:

Pit Bulls are only banned from being bred and sold, not owned and then only in some states, so there are still plenty around. Stupidly the bans only affect supposed pure breds, not the even more dangerous crossbreds and as APBT are not an officially recogised breed in Aust, how can anyone declare a dog purebred? As far as I'm concerned if looks like a Pit Bull/Amstaff and does not have ANKC papers and a matching microchip to prove it is a purebred Amstaff or SBT, it should be deemed to be a Pit Bull.

Before the legislation came in almost the only breed seen in my area were Pit Bulls and crosses of them. There are a few little crossbred terrier types, SWFs and the odd pure bred of other breeds, especially SBTs but by far most dogs seen on or offlead around where I live, were Pitbull/Amstaff types or crosses of these breeds. Every group of young louts seem to have several with them wherever they went. Thankfully the numbers seem to be decreasing gradually as the ban takes effect over a generation but it is still not safe to walk dogs around my suburb. The most human aggressive dog I have ever seen was a Pit Bull, the most damage I have seen done to a dogs or horses have also been by Pit Bulls, so I make no apology for having no sympathy towards the breed. In all these cases the breed was confirmed by the owners.

We used have a Bull Terrier live next door many years ago but I haven't seen one, other than at shows, in years. There just aren't the numbers of them and they tend to be owned by enthusiasts of the breed who keep them safely contained, not yobbos who are attracted to the true fighting breeds. With lower numbers, more placid temperaments with people and more responsible owners you would not expect them to figure highly in attack statistics.

this I get and understand, you are basing your opinion on pitbulls upon your personal experience, I also have a dislike of certain breeds due to my personal experience... in the wrong hands they can be dangerous (along with hundreds of other breeds) its just so sad for the breed that the wrong people are so attracted to them... in the right hands they are great dogs...

For a dog breed that is "banned" in Australia, there sure seem to be a lot of "pit bulls" around... if you believe the media hype...

T.

The bolded statement is actually incorrect. Here in Queensland they are banned from being owned hence the huge Tango case and many other cases here in Queensland where people have fought to stop their dog from being PTS or have sued council for their dog being PTS. The legislation has been changed a bit now and it no longer includes crosses of APBT but that won't stop the Councils from accusing your dog of being an APBT no matter how stupid that sounds as they are not a recognised breed in Australia.

In NSW they are a restricted breed and I believe they fall under similar legislation to dangerous dogs ie: have to have a secure run, signs on all entries, walk muzzled etc.

I am unsure of the exact laws in WA, Victoria and Tasmania. Only the Territories (ACT and NT) have no laws against them. Funny how we rarely hear of attacks in NT or ACT by "pitbulls".

Our laws are ridiculous, they don't recognize APBT in Aus and yet they are restricted or banned.

ETA - Sounds like in Victoria if you haven't registered your "Pitbull" and crosses their of by the time the amnesty ends the dogs will then be banned and anyone with an unregistered "pitbull" will also have their dog seized and destroyed. I would say as Amnesty ends it also means no more "pitbulls" will be accepted for registration after that date. Hence another full ban on the breed not just restrictions.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix