Purina Bonnie - Anyone Have A Feeding Guide?

Guest lavendergirl

You probably can't go wrong with around 3/4 cup a day of any dry food for a 3kg dog. You could always ring a local pet supply store and just ask them to have a look on the bag for you.

Guest english.ivy

That would annoy me highly if I was feeding a food that wasn't easily found online and Bonnie/Purina isn't.

Why don't you do what the rest us do....feed by eye....if the dog looks over weight cut the food back.

If the dog under weight feed more.

I do that for our 25-30 kg dogs. However, a friend wanted to try some for their dog, who is a lot smaller. I was able to give them some food, but was also hoping to give them some idea of how much to feed. I'll drop into a pet supply store this morning, it was just easier to ask here last night.

Please there is no exact guide to feeding a dog with dry food or any food for that matter.

Each dog is an individual and some require more or less due to there metabolism or activity.

What is often written on the side of a bag is a guide line only. :)

You probably can't go wrong with around 3/4 cup a day of any dry food for a 3kg dog. You could always ring a local pet supply store and just ask them to have a look on the bag for you.

Eep.

I have two dogs twice that weight who get less than that.

Eep.

Same here PF. My 2 little guys are both around 5-6kg and they only get 1/2 a cup of dry (on the odd occasion that they get dry food).

ETA I personally think that the guides on the bags of dog food are always incorrect. I have always fed my dogs (both large and small breeds) a LOT less than what the guide says to.

Edited by dobesrock

Guest lavendergirl

Eep.

Same here PF. My 2 little guys are both around 5-6kg and they only get 1/2 a cup of dry (on the odd occasion that they get dry food).

ETA I personally think that the guides on the bags of dog food are always incorrect. I have always fed my dogs (both large and small breeds) a LOT less than what the guide says to.

I was presuming that the OP meant that dry food was all they were fed each day. Of course the amount would need to be modified in balance with other food intake. I do mean three quarters of a cup - just realized it might look like I meant 3-4 cups ;)

Edited by lavendergirl

I was presuming that the OP meant that dry food was all they were fed each day. Of course the amount would need to be modified in balance with other food intake. I do mean three quarters of a cup - just realized it might look like I meant 3-4 cups ;)

So was I. It's still more than what I feed my dogs weighing twice that much.

My Whippet only gets a bit more than that.

Edited by poodlefan

Guest lavendergirl

So was I. It's still more than what I feed my dogs weighing twice that much.

My Whippet only gets a bit more than that.

So you would not feed a 6kg dog three quarters of a cup?? I am just going by the feed guides of usually three quarters to one cup a day for the usual dry foods.

So you would not feed a 6kg dog three quarters of a cup?? I am just going by the feed guides of usually three quarters to one cup a day for the usual dry foods.

Food guides almost invariably prescribe far too much food.

It would depend on the dog and the food but it does sound like a lot. Mind you, you've got to feed more of the kibbles with a lot of cereal.. and you get a lot more out the back end. :eek:

Guest lavendergirl

Food guides almost invariably prescribe far too much food.

It would depend on the dog and the food but it does sound like a lot. Mind you, you've got to feed more of the kibbles with a lot of cereal.. and you get a lot more out the back end. :eek:

I am feeding Innova which is low grain - three quarters of a cup a day as per their guide (plus some nibbles :)) and he is maintaining his weight at around 5.1 kgs. I think Bonnie would have a much higher cereal content. It depends on individual needs I guess.