Heat Lamps

becks

There are two main fittings for heat lamps - clamps and Ring for suspending them.

Some come with clamps and you clamp them on to a chair or piece of upright wood attached to the box or attached to the box itself.

Other people have a crate over the whelping box and they suspended the heat lamp from a broom handle.

I have a piece of wood attached to the side of the box and the heat lamp is attached via that and I can move it up and down as needed. Mine is approx 80-90cm above the puppies.

I have an adjustable height stand with an adjustable length arm. My heat lamp connects into a lamp shade looking thing which has a hook on top of it. So I hook the shade onto the stand and can move it in and out, up and down to alter how much of the box is getting heat over it and also how much heat by varying the height.. The shade thng is actually a reflector to deflect heat back into a box.

The whole assembly came from a reptile supply store but I have also seen the reflector shade thing (technical term, lol!) available in farm type stores. It remnds me of what I have seen in poultry sheds.

I have to say I found my guys very rarely used it. I never found them asleep under it no matter how I had it set up, I did find though that if I felt in he box the air was warmer all around that corner not just under it so they probably still got the benefit of it. The side of the box near the door though was not warm at all so Jazz didn't seem bothered by it at all - she just always laid in the same area away from it to feed.

I taped a bunnings panel to the box, slid a broom handle through it and rested the end on the desk and made a loop with some tie wire on the actual lamp and taped it to the broom handle. Lamp was plugged into a thermostat so no need to move it up and down. ETA missing word

post-3047-0-35285400-1314311931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rebanne

Most lamps have a triangle or a ring on the top. Drill a hole in the ceiling, above the whelping box, and screw in a largish cup hook. Attach a chain with rings bigger than the diameter of the cup hook to the heat lamp, so you can hang the loops of the chain from the cup hook.

You can open the links of most chains so you can fit it over the ring/triangle on the lamp. Then raise or lower the lamp over the whelping box(to increase or decrease the heat) by lengthening or shortening the chain. If you hang the lamp over one end of the whelping box, you can have a cooler end so the bitch can get away from the heat if she wants.

Of course, you then have a cuphook in the ceiling, but if anyone that house proud probably wouldn't have pups in the house. No one notices.

Jed, that was one thing I don't want, as I have the pups in the lounge and it has high ceilings. I had wondered if they made a stand for it as the whelping box isn't really high enough to have a light fitted from the sides of it.

Thanks for the ideas - could come in handy if I end up with another winter litter!

grooming arms attach on a different direction ie to horizontal block, not vertical, like the box sides, mine is a plastic box so can't attach anything.

You'd think someone would make an arm to hold a heat lamp!

Necks, they do only thru are called reptile heat lamp stands. This is identical to what I used http://www.petco.com/product/5011/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Lamp-Stand.aspx I placed it so the whelping box sat on the base plate and then was able to adjust the height of the arm as well as how far over the box it went. As the box sat on the base it was very very stable.

Becks, they do only they are called reptile heat lamp stands. This is identical to what I used http://www.petco.com/product/5011/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Lamp-Stand.aspx I placed it so the whelping box sat on the base plate and then was able to adjust the height of the arm as well as how far over the box it went. As the box sat on the base it was very very stable.

Eta - stupid phone for double post and typos. Grrr.