7 Pups For 7 People

Esky the husky

Has anyone else watched the Documentary 7 pups for 7 people?

It was interesting watching the people in there, thinking they were going to make a lot of money and being hit with reality.

I wish more people would see this.

I'd like to know more DOLers opinions on how this documentary was approached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfP4zbMukIw&NR=1

Parts two and three can be found here

Part Two

Part Three

This interests me - I was born and raised in the area this doco is filmed. I don't once remember seeing a SBT or SBT cross when living there - I also spent about 8yrs back there as recently as 5yrs ago. I can confirm though that the area is indeed a crap hole and full of morons like the bloke in the first clip.

Noticed that the puppies were going to pay for a new floor for their 'breeder'. How could she sell or more like it, how could a father of 2 babies, jobless take on one of the pups, pay it off on a monthly basis then keep it pretty much confined because he couldn't afford the vaccinations. I wish people would get their priorities right. The breeder is not blameless either.

I often forget that people see staffs as 'tough' dogs, all the ones I've met have been total smoochers.

But this is obviously an economically depressed and socially troubled neighbourhood. I don't feel qualified to judge their decisions, since it's far removed from my experience. Who's there to tell them the likely outcome of their actions?

They don't seem to treat the dogs any worse than the other people in their lives.

I often forget that people see staffs as 'tough' dogs, all the ones I've met have been total smoochers.

But this is obviously an economically depressed and socially troubled neighbourhood. I don't feel qualified to judge their decisions, since it's far removed from my experience. Who's there to tell them the likely outcome of their actions?

They don't seem to treat the dogs any worse than the other people in their lives.

Well put Weasel, not the best of situations for human for animal...but alot of are trying to make the most out of the cards they were dealt...

Are they blameless no..but hey I have it alot better and still make some pretty selfish decisions...

That was very interesting. I think the breeder did what a lot of uninformed dog owners do, have a litter without any research. She saw dollar signs and had a friend who had done it before tell her how easy it would be. I'm actually glad it was difficult for her to find homes and she didn't get a cent after rehoming the dogs as she now seems to know it was more of a headache than she thought it would be. I do have to take my hat off to her for trying her hardest to find them all homes and not dumping them and for taking back the puppy after that drop kick father couldn't look after him.

I hope she tells everyone she knows just how difficult and not worth it breeding her dog was. Hopefully her story can stop more unwanted pups being born.

Well put Weasel, not the best of situations for human for animal...but alot of are trying to make the most out of the cards they were dealt...

Are they blameless no..but hey I have it alot better and still make some pretty selfish decisions...

He wasn't making the most of anything - he was on the social - thinking a labouring job was beneath him. Him and people like him are the reason England is in crisis.

Well that was... interesting!

Didnt like the additude of the lady that helped whelp the litter. To me she is exactly who SHOULDN'T be owning bull breeds.

One of the only ones that I think went to a reasonable home was the lady with the two teenage sons, ok it didnt help her son the way she wanted it to but he was shown to be out there walking the dog and interacting with it.

Thanks for posting this :) very interesting.

I cant beleive they all went out without vacc's! and the BYB had no clue as to health testing etc.

Glad she took the pup back, though it probably had more to do with the "payment plan" IMO.

If the puppy had been paid for, the owners may have decided to try to sell her off to anyone to recoup their money....

I hope the puppy she gave her mother is desexed, with an entire male now living there next thing you know they will have an unwanted litter.

Hope she learns from this and never breeds again.

I found that very hard to watch.

Although I understand they are trying to show that BYBing is wrong, all I saw was bogans making bull breeds look bad.

The woman called 'pitbull' shouldn't be allowed to have dogs, good grief!

I think I would have liked to see more on how much money feeding mum and pups was going to cost. The interveiwer could have asked questions about why she didn't know about health testing, why she didn't vacc the puppies, why she thought it was ok to sell a puppy to someone who was 'paying the pup off'

I also would have liked to see a comparison to the ways an ethical reg breeder would have done things.

i think it is great really shows people that breeding is not something to make a quick pound with. and potential dog owners that having a dog is a lot of money and you really have to be ready for it. its a good documentary should be shown over here.

That was good, but I feel quite sad after watching it. The puppies, and dogs in general, seemed like a tool or accessory for pretty much all the people they talked to. Before they were even BREATHING the "breeders" were talking about how much money each would be worth :(

I do think it was good to show people that planning to make money from puppies doesn't work! Might at least put some people off. I didn't really think the woman was that bad, she did try to find homes for the puppies and acknowledged that it was unfair for the poor little one that wasn't vaccinated and couldn't be exercised (although the stupid guy did have it out running around anyway). By then though when she palmed off not only a puppy but the male dog and her SON onto her mother while whinging about how hard she had things just annoyed me.

The woman called Pitbull was scary, it seemed like she had dogs just to make herself feel tough and powerful. I know she said they were for protection but I'd like to know how much control she had over them and whether they would actually only protect if necessary or whether they'd attack. She said the Corso would attack anyone, adult, kid whoever... and that she walks it out on the streets. Wouldn't want to happen to be walking home one night and have her/the dog take a dislike to me, or to some kid.

Lastly, the guy with the two little kids who took the pup on payment plan :eek: At first I thought he seemed ok but the more he crap he talked the more annoying and pathetic he seemed... "oh I can't lower myself to take any old job to support my kids, oh social support doesn't pay enough for me get my puppy vaccinated (or even actually pay for the puppy) but I'm just gonna get a puppy anyway for protection, oh I only commit petty crimes, but then I feel like a petty thief, boohoo..." :rolleyes:

It seemed like the mum with the two boys and the guy who took on the last puppy and said breeding shouldn't be about the money anyway seemed like they might be good homes! Oh and the puppies were very cute babies!

ETA: Re my very long post, coz of my stupid slow internet it took all afternoon on and off to watch the whole thing so I had a lot of time to think about it all, sorry!! :o

Edited by Saxonpup

I found that very hard to watch.

Although I understand they are trying to show that BYBing is wrong, all I saw was bogans making bull breeds look bad.

The woman called 'pitbull' shouldn't be allowed to have dogs, good grief!

I think I would have liked to see more on how much money feeding mum and pups was going to cost. The interveiwer could have asked questions about why she didn't know about health testing, why she didn't vacc the puppies, why she thought it was ok to sell a puppy to someone who was 'paying the pup off'

I also would have liked to see a comparison to the ways an ethical reg breeder would have done things.

Yes this, Would be awesome if someone would film the same documentary with a good registered breeder :D

I actually think that most of the people in that docco thought they were doing the right thing by the dogs, however uneducated they may be. It doesn't make it right but I don't believe anyone intended harm to their dogs. But the woman that helped and got the free puppy - ooh I got a bad feeling about her!

I feel very privileged to be in my position right now.

He wasn't making the most of anything - he was on the social - thinking a labouring job was beneath him. Him and people like him are the reason England is in crisis.

He says he doesn't want to work for a "cowboy" builder again, which I would interpret as someone that undertakes dodgy, illegal practices...

To stay on topic on a Dog Forum I will say I thought it was interesting how most (all?) of the owners lived in apartments, is that common in England? We waited 4 years to have a dog so it could have a back yard.

In London, yes lots of apartments, if not then townhouses with courtyards but not houses with reasonable size blocks like in the suburbs here. Also particularly in lower socioeconomic areas there are heaps of apartment blocks that either currently are or previously were council housing. I think a lot of the people in the doco were probably in those.

I don't think the docco was meant to be about backyard breeding, or showing why it was wrong or anything like that. They looooove their reality shows in UK, and I think it was just another excuse to film ordinary people, from an angle that hadn't been done before.

If it had been about BYB they would have asked more questions and spent a little less time interviewing the buyers about their personal lives.

I don't think the docco was meant to be about backyard breeding, or showing why it was wrong or anything like that. They looooove their reality shows in UK, and I think it was just another excuse to film ordinary people, from an angle that hadn't been done before.

If it had been about BYB they would have asked more questions and spent a little less time interviewing the buyers about their personal lives.

I got this feeling too, that the dogs were more a device to link the characters, and to look into the life of the UK equivalent of 'Aussie battlers'.

The discussion and treatment of the dogs seemed more used to demonstrate how these animals we humanise and treasure so much when life is manageable, become commodities and security systems when the chips are down.

(IMHO anyway)

Edited by Weasels