Have I Missed Something

Rainy

Has this been made official?

I know there has been alot of discustion about this lately but i just got sent this LINK

Anyone know for sure?

Copy and pasted:

Under Victorian Legislation the following breeds are identified as "restricted"; meaning they can't be bred or imported into the state.

Dangerous dog legislation is not the same as the restricted breed regulations. Any dog may be declared dangerous (from a small Chihuahua to a Great Dane). The dog's size or breed is not the issue; it is the dog's behaviour.

Staffordshire bull terrier.

that photo wasnt a SBT by any means ... I think the reporter jumped the gun and had no idea what he was talking about but he printed anyway!

send the link to the staffy club of Vic

ETA I emailed News.com.au about the mistake and especially about the photo which was meant to represent a SBT

Edited by Nekhbet

This is the email i sent to SBTCV and the reply:

Sent: Sunday, 28 August 2011 8:58 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: SBTCV WEBSITE ENQUIRY

Hello,

I've just been sent an internet link that states that Staffordshire Bull Terriers are now restricted breed in victoria. I was not sure who to contact to find out more information about this matter so i decided to contact the SBTCV. I am trying to find out information on this matter as my husband is in the defence force and we move in and out of states regularly including victoria.

This is the link i was sent :

http://www.news.com.au/pictures/gallery-e6frflv9-1226117286575?page=1

Copy and Pasted :

Under Victorian Legislation the following breeds are identified as "restricted"; meaning they can't be bred or imported into the state.

Dangerous dog legislation is not the same as the restricted breed regulations. Any dog may be declared dangerous (from a small Chihuahua to a Great Dane). The dog's size or breed is not the issue; it is the dog's behaviour.

Staffordshire bull terrier.

Any information on this matter you can pass on i would greatly appreciate. Or if you could point me to the correct place to find the correct information

Thank You for your time

Rainy.

Hello Rainy,

Thanks for your email.

Not sure where you copied and pasted the information in your email, however the English Staffordshire Bull Terrier is not a restricted breed in Victoria.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Carol.

-----

One breed that needs to be added to the restricted breeds list is the American Bulldog......the next disaster waiting to happen.

Are you serious? why? because they don't suit everyone or because you think the wrong type of owners will be attracted to them, just like staffies, rottis, dobe's,mastiffs, amstaffs (just look at how many puppies are available!)Akitas etc..

Adding dogs to the restricted list is plain ignorance and as someone has mentioned not in line with other comments you have made?

One breed that needs to be added to the restricted breeds list is the American Bulldog......the next disaster waiting to happen.

Are you serious? why? because they don't suit everyone or because you think the wrong type of owners will be attracted to them, just like staffies, rottis, dobe's,mastiffs, amstaffs (just look at how many puppies are available!)Akitas etc..

Adding dogs to the restricted list is plain ignorance and as someone has mentioned not in line with other comments you have made?

Yes I am serious!

Look...I don't like the idea of lists of dog breeds to be banned anymore than anyone else here does and that includes the PB....but the fact is a great many (irresponsible) PB owners have brought what has happened on themselves and we ALL, regardless of what breed we own, are going to suffer for it. Like it or not MANY PB owners ARE the 'wrong type of owners' as you put it (yobbo's)....are attracted to this type of dog....and in that category of 'that type of dog' is the American Bulldog. I am seeing more and more AB's and NONE, so far, have good temperaments or dispositions. A friend of mine's GSD was attacked by two while my friend was walking her dog on the beach. Fortunately the two dogs took off before too much damage was done. The breed is large, powerful and IMO is a disaster waiting to happen...just like that of the PB..and look at the disaster :rolleyes: that breed has now got us ALL in to.

I suggest you look at the history of your beloved breed and you will see that a huge percentage of the fatal and serious attacks in the 60s-70s in the states were by GSD's. Want to know why? Because the media huped them up as 'killers' so all the arseholes went and got one. There was ONE fatality from a pit bull in that time.

Different breeds throughout history have been targeted by the media and shitty owners.

You seem to understand this and were bleating about the horror of dogs being seized by the stormtroopers so to be honest I'm not sure what your argument is or whether you think breed bans are good or not. Or maybe you just want the AmBull banned but nothing else?

I suggest you look at the history of your beloved breed and you will see that a huge percentage of the fatal and serious attacks in the 60s-70s in the states were by GSD's. Want to know why? Because the media huped them up as 'killers' so all the arseholes went and got one. There was ONE fatality from a pit bull in that time.

Different breeds throughout history have been targeted by the media and shitty owners.

You seem to understand this and were bleating about the horror of dogs being seized by the stormtroopers so to be honest I'm not sure what your argument is or whether you think breed bans are good or not. Or maybe you just want the AmBull banned but nothing else?

Well from one 'bleating' dog owner to another "bleating" dog owner ;) .....no point in "bleating" on and on about it here is there MelsieWelzie.

I'm off to write my thoughts on the matter to the Premier himself. Not that he would take any notice of any dog owner,but its worth a try.

:wave:

Well from one 'bleating' dog owner to another "bleating" dog owner ;) .....no point in "bleating" on and on about it here is there MelsieWelzie.

I'm off to write my thoughts on the matter to the Premier himself. Not that he would take any notice of any dog owner,but its worth a try.

I hope you leave out the part where you want ABs banned, and the APBT didn't get us into any mess, you can thank many other people but don't blame the breed.

Just to clarify there have been no fatalities In Australia by an APBT

I'm off to write my thoughts on the matter to the Premier himself. Not that he woany notice of any dog owner,but its worth a try.

Just to clarify there have been no fatalities In Australia by an APBT

Yup exactly right - you'll see I wrote 'in the states'.