Need Adv. Puppy Fell 1metre - She Is Ok, But Want To Be Sure

DzR

Hi All,

We bought our puppy home last week, she is an 8 week old Beagle, and we had 1 issue on Sunday,

The puppy jumped out of my daughters hands from about 100-120cms, When she landed on pavers loud yelp for 10 secs, then limp for 2 mins,

She came good straight after this, she is eating drinking, walking normally and running, I called the VET and they said it should be fine, just watch her leg. check the colours of her paw pads, but just be cautious over the next few weeks, incase something called the growth plates closed. (Vet said it is rare and should not occur if pup is walking fine so quickly, however she had to tell us)

Is there anything I need to check for, and worry about?

Just keep her quiet for a couple of days ..and any sign of a limp or pain.. head to a vet. Puppy bones can fracture easily ..and the yelping suggests that she did get hurt and shocked. Hopefully only a bruise or two. pups/dogs are very good at hiding pain.

Also .. let children hold puppy when SITTING DOWN only . Wriggly pups and kids are not a safe combination...

Hope there are no after effects , and she is OK :)

Edited by persephone

Thanks, We are watching for a limp and any pain,

Woke up this morning and she was doing fine, walking, jumping although we are trying to keep her quite and rested.

Also our daughter who had hold of her was old enough to stand with her, its a little different, My young kids 2 and 3, only get to hold her on the lounge

Edited by DzR

was old enough to stand with her, its a little different,

yes, it is different - there is further to fall :( Good plan with teh littlies :)Just make sure THEY , or you initiate it ..so puppy doesn't call the shots .

I don't let kids hold puppies while standing .. ever. It also teaches puppies that if humans are standing, they may be picked up/carried etc .. so they may look for it by jumping up at legs ;) If, however, there is no carrying/cuddling without invitation ..with both parties sitting down.. then you could well end up with a puppy who approaches and sits , THEN gets picked up safely :)

Thanks

Yeah we are teaching all the kids that before she is picked up or cuddled she must sit, a bit harder with the 2 year old, but working on it.

As for the fall, im hoping she is ok, she is walking fine, no pain when i touch and move the leg.

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about. Unfortunetly I went through a fracture with our pup when she was 11 weeks old and trust me you would know if you pup had done some damage!!!

I have "Puppy Rules" I give to new owners to go through with their kids and put on the fridge. One is not to pick puppy up. If you want a cuddle mum or dad will put puppy on your lap while you are sitting.

People are being subtle DzR but I don't plan to be.

Don't let your oldest child pick your puppy up. She must sit or be on the ground. Trust me, its a lot kinder to enforce the rule than to have to rush a pup to the vet with broken bones or head injuries. The pup is only going to get bigger and stronger from here so you may as well teach the kids what's going to be the case with an adult dog.. don't pick it up.

It's not that your child isn't responsible or strong enough for the job - but pups wriggle and they can be damn good at doing it. Dropped the wrong way, its a death sentence. :(

I also think its good to give the pup an 'out' so that it can get away if it's had enough. Easy to do on the ground and its good to teach the kids that if pup wriggles it's time to let it go. Sure beats a bite.

You've had a lucky break this time. I recommend you don't trade on luck any further.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks for the comments

I dont mind people being blunt, I appreciate it as a Puppy is something to be cared for.

I might actually take the Rules on fridge idea and use it.

Edited by DzR