Urgent Advice Required - Back To Back Litter After C Section

Delviktar

Hi

I hope you can give me some advice please. I had a progesterone test conducted last Friday (which was only 3.7). I was advised to have another today (Monday).

My bitch had a small litter of puppies in March (total of 3) one passed away and we had to have an emergency C section (on 24 March 2011).

I had been advised by many people to have a back to back litter due to the small litter (and unfortunately I didnt end up with suitable puppy for me however 2 beautiful puppies found lovely forever pet homes ), which is the reason for prog tests etc now.

I had been told that due to the small litter she had it would be fine to have the second litter straight away. I did mention the back to back litter to the vet I saw on Friday who took the blood, however I didnt mention she had had a c section as I wasnt aware that this would be an issue as no one had said this may be of concern until today.

Is it safe to have a litter of puppies so soon after the c section? It has been 5 months since the c section.

She is due to fly to Melbourne this week , but I need to know if it is safe to proceed.

Has anyone had back to back litter after c section. Any complications?

Any advice/information greatly appreciated.

Edited by Delviktar

Haven't done it myself but know of one person who had two bitches both of whom had to have c-sections their first litters (5 & 6 pups in a breed where litter average would be about 8 to 9) - he did back to back with both - both had to have c-sections again and both only had one surviving puppy.

The vet seems to think the uterus where cut will be weak and likely to rupture during pregnancy or when whelping. I understand that the uterus will be weaker where it has been cut. But I would assume that the wound has healed and is not going to get any stronger? Will I be reducing the risk of a rupture by waitng another 6 months or is the risk the same. Will the area where cut continue to grow scar tissue and therefore make it stronger over time?

I would not do a back to back if a c section was done regardless of the reason for doing it - one year later yes - but not a back to back.

My Rottie bitch had an em c section and the vet said she could be bred again the next yr but does not recommend a back to back if they have c sections. As it was she had another em c section anyway the following year so retired after that. My pug bitch had an em c section on her 2nd litter and she is now spayed.

When I had my own em c section the Dr's strongly advised me to wait at least 2 yrs before having another baby due to the scar being a crappy one, was told it would split if I was pregnant sooner - I never had another baby, wasn't going to risk it :eek: .

Is there any reason why you can't wait until next year for the mating to allow plenty of time for healing?

Edited by Andisa

I have done a back to back with c-sections but there was 11 months inbetween litters.

Bitch only had small litters 2-3 but had big pups (double the size of avergae litters).

I personlly would wait another season as 7 months (by the time she is due) is not that long for the scar to heal properly.

The best thing would be to ask the vet who did the last c-section and see what his/her opinion is.

Leanne

I have had had a bitch who had a c-section and then whelped the next litter 6 months to the day later. The back to back was her planning, not mine! I had decided on an elective c-section as soon as she went into first stage, however she was too quick and delivered the first pup as I was packing the car!

Both litters were of normal size, the whelping went without incident. It was her 2nd and 3rd litter.

HOWEVER whilst all went well it is not something I would plan to do, and I worried from the time I realised she was pregnant until they arrived and both bitch and pups were safe. Certainly not something I would do if I wanted to maximize the chances of a good sized litter either.