'search & Destroy Mission'

Rottshowgirl

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wondering if anyone has received a response from any of their letters?

I emailed the Minister and an MP. The MP also passed my questions on to the Minister. Now, 12 days later, still waiting for an answer. They did get my mail because they asked for my postal address in reply. Apparently that is so they can reply in writing. But I wanted to know if a vet could certify as to any breed, or if they could only certify as to Amstaff. The way it was worded, and being grouped into the paragraph, made it look like the vet exception was only for amstaffs, but the wording was off. It said a vet could certify as to A breed, not THE breed.

I also asked if a vet could certify a crossbreed if they were stating what they honestly thought the cross breeds were.

I know there is no possible way to absolutely prove the breeds in a mutt on sight, but I figured that if we are to believe a council worker can do it that way, surely a Vet would be able to also do this.

I can't find answers to these questions anywhere!

Welcome to DOL mzerika. There are a few facebook pages dedicted to stopping BSL and one I know of specifically related to Victoria. Here are some links:

I disagree with the 2010 Domestic Animals Amendment (Dangerous Dogs) Bill!

Help Save the Pitbulls in Australia

National Canine Research Council

Say No to BSL in Australia

Pitbull lovers unite against Breed Specific Legislation in Australia

You're right though. It would be incredibly helpful to have one central page that all dog owners could support and use to share new information as it comes to hand, as well as for mobilising petitions, protests or any other kind of action. So many other breeds are likely to end up in the firing line that it's time to move away from only focusing on the APBT,

Thanks Snook, I found Say No to BSL in Australia on my own and am now sharing links with friends and trying to educate those willing to lend an ear. I'll gladly join the others as well. Could we not start with the DOL facebook page? I liked this too but it doesn't look like it's been updated for a while.

You've all been so proactive, I'll try to do my bit and write to my local MPs this weekend using your templates. :)

Wow. I wish I could participate in this Anti-BSL campaign hosted by Ragamuffins Pet Photography from Melbourne. This is such a great idea and would've been so great to get involved in something like this!

Date Listed 14/09/2011

Address Melbourne VIC, Australia

Hi Everyone!

We are organising a series of photoshoots featuring pitbulls (purebred or crossbred) and staffys (purebred or crossbred).

At Ragamuffin Pet Photography, we've been thinking loads about the recent controversies surrounding the government and their attitude towards pitbulls. We get where the government is coming from, but like many of you believe that a) the issue is with the owner, not the breed and b) it's crazy to focus on looks of a dog when it is so difficult to determine exact breeds! We just cannot agree with Breed-Specific-Legislation.

In light of this, we are planning a pit-bull-athon! We want to photograph any dogs who technically have a bit of bully in them (whether they look like a poodle or a purebred pitbull!) The aim is to show just how difficult it is to judge a pit bull by sight, and also to show that there are a whole lot of sweet, loving pitbulls and pitbull crosses in Victoria!

It's totally free to participate, and everyone involved will receive a digital copy of their photo (watermarked). The shoots will be in various locations around Melbourne.

Just email us at [email protected] with the subject line "Pitbull" to find out how to get involved.

Spread the word to all your doggy friends!

From the team at Ragamuffin Pet Photography,

Caitlin, John and Lyra (whose Mum was a staffy, not that you'd EVER guess by looking at her...)

www.ragamuffins.com.au

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Business-Services-photography-video-Pit-Bull-A-Thon-Free-Photoshoot-Anti-BSL-W0QQAdIdZ314005752

http://ragamuffins.com.au/

• 2 weeks later...

From Kingston City Council. The rangers there, at least, seem to be applying 'the standard' in a way that doesn't make SBT x's into restricted breeds. With three days to go, I'm surprised that this topic has gone silent.

Last chance to register restricted breed dogs

Kingston City Council will have the right to seize and destroy any unregistered pit bull terriers in the municipality after Thursday 29 September.

The new power follows the Victorian Government's introduction of legislation earlier this month which permits Councils to seize unregistered restricted breed dogs.

Restricted breeds include pit bull terriers, American pit bull terriers, Fila Brasileiro, Dogo Argentino, Japanese tosa and Perro de Presa Canario.

In the past few weeks Kingston City Council has received numerous calls from residents concerned that their dog might have pit bull terrier ancestry. Local laws rangers have inspected these animals and not found any dogs of concern.

The State Government's 'dob in a dangerous dog' hotline has referred four calls to Kingston City Council. Council officers confirmed that three of the reported dogs were not restricted breeds. Investigations are continuing into the fourth dog.

The fee to register dangerous, menacing or restricted breed dogs is $170. The fee to register most other dogs is $44.

Edited by sandgrubber

Tomorrow is the first day of the new laws.

Brad Griggs will be on the channel 7, Sunrise show tomorrow morning at 6.45am.

NDTF - National Dog Trainers Federation (Australia)

Brad Griggs of K9 Services International and the NDTF will be appearing tomorrow morning on Ch7's SUNRISE program to share his opinion on the recent legislative changes made by the Victorian government regarding BSL.

This opportunity will give the issue national coverage, and our hope is that SUNRISE will continue to show consideration to the intelligent and sensible arguement

Please watch at 6.45am and take some time to email SUNRISE to thank them for giving the issue so much balanced coverage.

NDTF - National Dog Trainers Federation (Australia)

The NDTF are proud to announce that they have agreed for their Operations Manager, Brad Griggs, to take on the running of a Melbourne based rally in response to the latest legislative changes pushed through the Victorian parliament.

Brad has been very active in the canine community regarding these changes, and is passionate about the issues associated with dog bites in the community, and also BSL.

The NDTF recognises the need to show industry leadership on this matter, and has donated a month of Brad's time and NDTF resources to enable the event to be as successful as possible.

The NDTF are proud of this announcement, and we sincerely hope the community can come together in the quest for a world class, science-driven animal management policy.

The above was posted via Facebook from NDTF page.

I hope that all dog owners will stick together on this fight. We need to show our numbers and our commitment to have these dreadfully unfair laws changed to a more fair and effective animal management policy.

PF - this is the same person who says they want to own a human aggressive dog. For protecting his/her yard. Got a few applauses too?

No doubt. There is a place in this world IMO for dogs prepared to do harm to humans who simply trespass. IMO Australia is not one of those places and a dog with the temperament of the Fila needs to be carefully placed in the right homes anywhere.

A correctly temperamented Fila will do more than just guard.. so when little Timmy comes uninvited over the fence looking for his tennis ball, he won't be leaving in one piece. I'd say he wont' be leaving anyway but in a coffin. Anyone who could casually say that they wish to own such a dog in an urban setting in this country needs their head read.

Place that argument in a place like Johannesburg and its a whole new ball game.

I don't know why people want these types of dogs for protection, Pitbull's, Dogo's etc as the people training protection dogs in an urban setting don't use them anyway and the best breeds for that role we can have now?. From what I have ever read in terms of trainability, trustworthiness, predictability etc, the GSD, Malinois and Rottweiler are said run rings around the restricted types, Mastiff's etc being the reason they use them exclusively. If the police and security people can trust their lives on the breeds like the GSD etc, surely they are sufficient as protection against home invasion when properly trained?

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to add to this thread, that last friday, BAW sent this message out.

Domestic Animals Act 1994 Notification of minor amendment Standard for Restricted Breed Dogs in Victoria The Minister for Agriculture and Food Security, has APPROVED under section 3(3) and 3(4) of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 and under section 27 of the Interpretation of Legislation Act 1994 the following amendment to the‘Standard for Restricted Breed Dogs in Victoria’ as gazetted in the Victoria Government Gazette No. S283 on September 2011 (the Standard) That the words “stating, or to the effect that the dog is of a particular breed” in paragraph (d) of item 1 in Part 1 of the Standard, be deleted.

Where previously it said in the Standard that a Vet could certify as to a particular breed, part of this has been deleted.See below. The bolded part is to be deleted.

Victoria Government Gazette S 283 1 September 2011 3

PART 1 AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER (APBT, Pit Bull Terrier)

1. A dog that meets the description of a dog in this Part is an American Pit Bull Terrier; except

a dog in respect of which the owner has one of the following certifi cates stating that the dog

is an American Staffordshire Terrier –

a. a pedigree certifi cate from the Australian National Kennel Council;

b. a pedigree certifi cate from a member body of the Australian National Kennel

Council;

c. a pedigree certifi cate from a national breed council registered with the Australian

National Kennel Council;

d. a certifi cate signed by a veterinary practitioner stating, or to the effect, that the dog is

of a particular breed

What this does, from what I can see, is make paragraph d. apply only to Amstaffs, where as before, with this wording it may have meant that you could get a cert from a vet to say your dog was of another breed, and therefore was not restricted.

Apparently because this is gazetted, the Minister can change this Standard without it going through Parliament. That is the way I understand it anyway. Goal posts have been moved. :(