Off Food And Drinking More Than Usual

Chopper's off his food and he's drinking more water than usual. He spewed on Sat and Sun and hasn't been eating much since then. He's quite flat too, but he doesn't seem sick enough to need a vet visit.

He had more bones than usual towards the end of last week. [OH was feeding them.] Could it be that?

I'd go with a vet trip, especially where increased drinking is involved. It could be nothing or it could be the beginnings of something like water diabetes.

ETA: When you do a pinch test is he dehydrated ? Is he peeing more than usual ?

Edited by ReadySetGo

He's got his appetite back [he demolished about a third of a roast chicken last night!] and he's not flat anymore. I'm not sure if he's still drinking more water than usual but I'll keep an eye on him today and then decide if he needs to see a vet.

He's still drinking and peeing a lot. He had a urine test and there's no infection. The vet said water diabetes only happens to greyhounds. Regardless, there was no glucose present. It seems that he was overexercised last weekend and it caused some kidney damage. If it doesn't right itself in 7-10 days we'll need to get blood tests done. It may be renal failure or cushings disease. They usually come on slowly though, so it's unlikely.

He's still drinking and peeing a lot. He had a urine test and there's no infection. The vet said water diabetes only happens to greyhounds. Regardless, there was no glucose present. It seems that he was overexercised last weekend and it caused some kidney damage. If it doesn't right itself in 7-10 days we'll need to get blood tests done. It may be renal failure or cushings disease. They usually come on slowly though, so it's unlikely.

Water diabetes is more commonly seen in Greyhounds, because of the exertion when racing or trialling, it's not strictly limited to Greyhounds. There are two types and there's lots of info available. It can just happen and it can come on suddenly, both inhibit the bodies ability to concentrate urine. One stems from the brain and can lead to renal failure, the other stems from the kidneys can result in the same.

I hope he's ok.

Edited by ReadySetGo