Owner Faces Jail Over Sydney Dog Attack

Quickasyoucan

A DOG that attacked two children in Sydney's west has been seized by council rangers and could be destroyed.

Its owner could also be jailed if the dog is found to be a dangerous breed.

The 11-year-old boy and 13-year-old girl were walking along Tanderagee St in Constitution Hill about 5.10pm (AEST) yesterday when the dog escaped from a nearby property.

It ran at the children and bit the boy twice on his left arm, police said.

The girl kicked out at the dog but it grabbed hold of the boy on the right side of his chest before letting go.

A neighbour came out and restrained the dog before returning it to its yard.

Paramedics were called and the injured boy was taken to Westmead Childrens Hospital, where he was treated for bite wounds to his left arm, his left leg and the right side of his chest.

..The local council has seized the dog, which has been unofficially identified as a rottweiler. Checks were being carried out to confirm its breed and whether it is deemed a dangerous dog.

Under the Companion Animals Regulation 1999, a restricted or dangerous dog which attacks or bites a person because it is not properly controlled can be destroyed immediately.

The owner could face a penalty of up to two years' imprisonment and a fine of up to $55.000.

Police say their investigations are continuing.

A spokeswoman for Westmead Childrens Hospital said the boy was in a stable condition this morning.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/owner-faces-jail-over-sydney-dog-attack/story-e6frfku0-1226126236685#ixzz1WYgSzJFl

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately news.com.au cannot differentiate between dangerous dog and restricted breed. Don't they get told to check their facts before they publish they are referring to a "dangerous breed".

Edited by Quickasyoucan

Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to find the details of the latest dog attack.

I hope that this dog is a rottie, as it may aid us in demonstrating how useless proposed law changes in Victoria are.

How scary for the children. I hope that they do not have any long-lasting physical or psychological scars from the incident.

Looking at the images of the dog you can see that it is obviuosly a cross of some kind.

I feel so sorry for the children in this and I hope they recover from this quickly.

However we need to get together and complain to someone on how the media are handling these stories, the journalists are so uneducated when it comes to identifying breeds and are just out to cause more frenzy in the public.

Who knows what breed of dog is going to be blamed next maybe it will be a kelpie cross being called a GSD?

Just proves that BSL doesn't work. And wont work. That its down to every individual dog/owner. Look at the stuff strewn in that yard. Obviously noone cares if the dog or a child hurts themselves on any of it.

It looks like quite a solid fence. So how did the dog escape the yard? Did it jump? Was it let out? Why are these news reports so selective... Don't let the Truth get in the way of a good story.

Thank goodness someone was there to contain the dog in this case, I hope someone is taking good care of these kids... they need to be also offered counselling as soon as possible so they don't develop a life long fear of dogs. :(

How freaking stupid are these numpties. It's not hard to identify the dog if it's " dangerous"

If the dog has already been delcared as " dangerous" it will have already been microchipped, issued with an NOI, declared and recorded on the companion animals data base.

Scan the bloody thing and it will instantly pop..

No , what we need is some my hysteria ( insert roll eyes here )

How freaking stupid are these numpties. It's not hard to identify the dog if it's " dangerous"

If the dog has already been delcared as " dangerous" it will have already been microchipped, issued with an NOI, declared and recorded on the companion animals data base.

Scan the bloody thing and it will instantly pop..

No , what we need is some my hysteria ( insert roll eyes here )

yip, the words "breed" and "dog", "restricted" and "dangerous" get used interchangably.

Rottie......... :rofl:

Sorry I know this is no laughing matter but that assumption by anyone, even reporters is ridiculous. Its as much a rottie as a min pin or a black and tan havanese

Unfortunately news.com.au have now pulled out their archive photos of a snarling rottie.

They say investigations are underway to establish breed. It is irrelevant whether it is a rottweiler since they are not restricted. The only thing that is relevant here since it is not suspected of being a restricted breed (and as RSG says easily ascertainable) is whether it has a previous dangerous dog order on it. That is when the tougher penalties kick in.

Certainly no Rotti, it's a cross bred that could possibly have Rotti in it, Shepherd , Kelpie or none of the aforementioned.

If anyone comes across pics of dogs that plastered next to articles, can they please save them and post them into the thread. The articles disappear over time and it's good to have the pics there as a future reference.