So....vickie....

Congrats on the ProK9 announcement, but are there any plans for agility workshops in Melbourne?

Greg and Laura Derrett are coming to Melbourne early February next year. They train with very similar methods to those outlined in the workshop - Laura's foundation workshops are brilliant if she offers them again, with a lot of emphasis on creating drive for playing with you and with toys and then using it effectively in training.

So you will at least be able to take advantage of those if Vickie doesn't manage a trip to Melbourne. But interstate agility related trips are fun so you could always do both. Win-Win!

Congrats on the ProK9 announcement, but are there any plans for agility workshops in Melbourne?

Greg and Laura Derrett are coming to Melbourne early February next year. They train with very similar methods to those outlined in the workshop - Laura's foundation workshops are brilliant if she offers them again, with a lot of emphasis on creating drive for playing with you and with toys and then using it effectively in training.

So you will at least be able to take advantage of those if Vickie doesn't manage a trip to Melbourne. But interstate agility related trips are fun so you could always do both. Win-Win!

Anyone know where I can get some more info on the Derrets visit....would love to go if they are goiong to be in NSW or Qld

I would have to disagree with doing both being a win-win. I don't handle nor teach Derrett style agility so it would actually create conflict rather than be complimentary. I am sure there are similarities in all systems with regards to drive & reward building, but there are some vast training & handling differences.

I did have conversations with a number of people when I was in melb last year about a non Derrett handling system and it does seem that there is a demand for someone to teach it in Melb.

I am not anti Derrett, it's just not how I have chosen to handle.

Edited by Vickie

Thanks. How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book? How do I book?

Hey guys

Regarding any of our upcoming workshops (and the agility workshops with Vickie are sure to be AWESOME!!), the best bet is to sign up for our newsletter (you can do that at www.k9pro.com.au) or join the K9 Pro facebook page as that's where all the updates for workshops, seminars etc are posted.

Edited by huski

I would have to disagree with doing both being a win-win. I don't handle nor teach Derrett style agility so it would actually create conflict rather than be complimentary. I am sure there are similarities in all systems with regards to drive & reward building, but there are some vast training & handling differences.

I did have conversations with a number of people when I was in melb last year about a non Derrett handling system and it does seem that there is a demand for someone to teach it in Melb.

I am not anti Derrett, it's just not how I have chosen to handle.

Really? I didn't pick up that it was primarily a handling seminar from reading your topics, but more of training approach. My mistake obviously. I agree that there are vast differences in the handling but I don't see so much in the training. In fact most of the top agility handlers focus on creating and using drive effectively in their training no matter what system they run so I think a lot of what you are offering would be very worthwhile. (Wasn't trying to imply you were a GD handler with the 'win-win' comment as I know you are not, sorry)

I would never not attend a seminar because it was being run by a non-Derrett handler if I thought the training component would be worthwhile for me. In fact some of the handlers I have learnt heaps from would be Elicia Calhoun, Ann Croft, Silvia Trkman, Dave Munnings and Daisy Peel, none of whom run Derrett. I believe that handling is only one small part of agility and that getting good habits in place with good training is just as important if not more. In fact Laura's foundation seminar last time would have been valuable to anyone using any handling system as it was totally training based and it's a pity that a lot of Victorians didn't attend based on handling as they would have gotten heaps out of it.

Not sure who you were talking to in Victoria, but I wouldn't say the GD system was dominant, in fact I can only think of 3 clubs that teach it and only a small number of handlers who use it - it's just that some of them have a lot of success and are quite vocal, so people think everyone here is using it, which is not the case by a long shot. I believe Action Dogs is based more on Linda Mecklenburg's system as is most of what goes down at Agility Dog Club, I am defintely the odd one out there that's for sure, luckily they are open minded about letting me handle things differently. In fact we don't appear to have the us and them mentality that exists in some other states, I don't think anyone really cares who handles in what way here.

I think you are selling yourself short if you don't think your presentation isn't valuable to Derrett handlers, topics sound pretty good to me. If you can't harness your dog's drive effectively then your agility career isn't going anywhere no matter what handling system you choose to follow so I think it would short sighted for NSW GD handlers not to consider attending, especially if having a problem with building drive.

I will PM details to the couple of people asking about Derrett in Melb. as it's not my intention to hijack this thread. :)

I handle Garrett/Derrett as my club primarily trains this way, and there are more resources out there (DVDs/seminars/books etc) for them, but the topics in Vickie's seminar look really interesting and look to get me thinking about my and my dog's performance and how we train, and we have a few obstacles which could definitely be quicker! So I will keep an eye on the dates and decide :)

Just wanted to clear a couple of things up :)

I agree that the topics in the Agility in Drive seminar should be universal to any agility handling system & any handler wanting to progress in agility. This is a seminar that I asked Steve to put on because I wanted others to experience some of the things he has taught me and how many of these fundamentals we, in Australia lack as an agility community.

I assume Megan was asking about a general/training/handling agility seminar rather than a specific "building drive for agility" seminar.

My comments about attending an agility seminar, including handling, that I would give were simply to point out the fact that I have a different handling system to the one the Derretts teach, since KC suggested Megan doing both. I see a number of people switching between and trying to combine the two systems & frankly I don't think it works to do so. I believe consistency is important and don't think you can combine the systems consistently, either for handling or training. Saying that, I agree with you KC, that for an experienced handler, there are things to learn at every seminar. I think it is a little harder for people with less experience to recognize conflicts.

Sorry Sheena, can't help you with your query.

Edited by Vickie