Maintenance Costs For A Stafford

NuggyWuggy

To buy initially $800 to $1200 for a pup from an ethical breeder

I mostly raw feed and it's around $6-7 per week all up. I don't have a big freezer so could probably cut the price down a lot if I could buy in real bulk. They aren't big eaters but need good quality food as some are prone to skin and allergy issues (buying from a really good breeder should help keep the liklihood of this problem to a minimum)

You need to budget to buy GOOD quality leads, collars, crates etc and not the cheap pet shop brands which could fail at a vital second.

They can be hard on toys so you either need to be prepared to buy the expensive Lion and Tiger tested Aussie Ball type things or happy to give them cheap stuff like ropes and plastic bottles. They're happy either way :)

You need to plan for vet bills for stupid misadventures when they're teenagers - they often charge in where no sane animal would even think of going.

Your fences need to be in good condition, heavier quality wire mesh rather than the cheap stuff, actual palings rather than trellis fencing, that sort of thing. If the dog discovers it can keep testing the fence and can get out - it will, and they are very powerful and persistent when they want to be

You should budget for....

New door frames and skirting boards in the house

Replacing the lounge after a Stafford attack

Replacing the inground irrigation system (Stafford absolutely loath these!)

New trees, shrubs and other garden plants

And going by my latest run - multiple vet visits for snakes :(

He he he, my two are cheap by comparison then! Can honestly say neither of them have chewed, ripped up or otherwise destroyed anything inside or outside the house!

Agree with Sandra in regard to budgeting for vet bills though, as they can be so slapdash, full pelt, smack bang wollop! One of mine fairly seriously damaged one of her eyes and it cost a fair bit to get put right.

(p.s. Sandra hope your dog makes a full recovery mate xx).

To buy initially $800 to $1200 for a pup from an ethical breeder

I mostly raw feed and it's around $6-7 per week all up. I don't have a big freezer so could probably cut the price down a lot if I could buy in real bulk. They aren't big eaters but need good quality food as some are prone to skin and allergy issues (buying from a really good breeder should help keep the liklihood of this problem to a minimum)

You need to budget to buy GOOD quality leads, collars, crates etc and not the cheap pet shop brands which could fail at a vital second.

They can be hard on toys so you either need to be prepared to buy the expensive Lion and Tiger tested Aussie Ball type things or happy to give them cheap stuff like ropes and plastic bottles. They're happy either way :)

You need to plan for vet bills for stupid misadventures when they're teenagers - they often charge in where no sane animal would even think of going.

Your fences need to be in good condition, heavier quality wire mesh rather than the cheap stuff, actual palings rather than trellis fencing, that sort of thing. If the dog discovers it can keep testing the fence and can get out - it will, and they are very powerful and persistent when they want to be

And going by my latest run - multiple vet visits for snakes :(

+ replacing pillows (they seem to think these are toys to be destuffed)

and the odd foam mattress is fair play when left at Stafford level...

Actually anything is fair game when left at Stafford level...

Our destroyed numerous hockey balls and sticks and other expensive sports equipment, pillows (only when there was no pillow case on them), a mattress...

We have multiple vet visits for other issues (not snakes, thank doG)...

They are so worth every cent...

They make you learn new skills too - like how to plaster a wall after they've put bloody great big holes in it! Long story short, they were bored and that is when destructo dog takes over. So heaps of things to keep them entertained and be prepared to put at least 40 mins exercise in. If you're going to play ball i'd advise warming them up first with a walk and then playing on a flat area - uneven ground can put shoulders out, damage feet and wrists. Staffords have a knack for charging into things so you will probably end up at the vets for things you never even realised a dog could do!!!

As Sandra said, make sure your fences are more than adequate. I have 2 dogs here who are jumpers, one can manage the 5ft fence standing and the other can get to my OH's shoulder - and he's 6'4"! If you have weak fencing they will exploit it, be it over, under and never discount through!

Food wise you will have to monitor as loads of Staffords are complete garbage guts. I have two girls who have figured out how to get the lid off a locked garbage bin of dog food and help themselves! Good quality food is a must as Sandra has explained. Some Staffords are also prone to grass allergies - not much you can do there and ear infections.

Then there's teh basics of worming, vaccs, flea and tick control.

Washing, well to be honest, I don't if I can help it. the show girls get washed on show days and the others only have about 3-4 washes a year or if they've found something amazingly fantastically attractive to roll in.

Leads and collars, well they need to be strong. Lead training is essential as you have a little tank to walk who will think dragging you along is just a weight pull contest. Harnesses, not too keen on them. We use one on our boy because he damaged his neck so a collar's out of teh question but it just transfers his centre to the middle of his back, which makes it easier to pull. So all up it's worth investing in good quality leather leads and collars - and believe me you can really go overboard with this, they're addictive :laugh:

Bedding, don't bother, they'll just want to sleep with you!!! It's worth getting a tramp bed for them to lounge outside on and also a clam shell or other plastic paddling pool for them to bathe in during summer.

Make sure they have adequate shade and shelter from the elements as they hate extremes and you will need a coat for them in winter.

:rofl::thumbsup:

And have a good Handyman that can fix everything else that has been chewed. :laugh:

My stafford is broken :thumbsup: (touch wood) the most expencive item distroyed thus far is a DS.

However I call him my gold mine on legs :laugh: . He is the perfect example of why you need to purchase from a repituble breeder, between his allergies, and eye surgery there is about $7,000 so far.

They need high qualiy food, solid fenceing, quality training for you and the dog. Dont skimp on the coller's and leads but you dont need to spend a mint either i find black dog quality for a decent price. :D

What they cost you in money and a few grey hairs they make up for in abundance with love and laughs ;)

Wow. I must have been lucky with our staffy. She has never chewed anything, has always been great with other dogs and kids and lives with cats and free range chickens. She did go to 5 years of obeidence classes from day 1 so factor some sort of training costs into the budget.

Our 4 year old rescued greyhound is another story though!!! So much for a couch potato she would eat it not sleep on it!!!

Agree with the skirting boards and the door frames - also the wooden stairs on the outside of my house. My two go through beds and toys really quickly. They rip the top of the kongs, pick a rope toy to bits and leave little bits of rope all over the lawn. Rip up their beds up so it looks like it has been snowing....Chew on their clam shell pool, I can only fill it halfway now because there is a big crack in it due to the top being ripped off. Just be prepared that things will be eaten!

But I wouldn't have it any other way :thumbsup:

Edited by Lisey