Vaccinations, 3 Times?

Aztec Gold

Chester had his first lot of vaccinations (c3) at 7 weeks, and we just took him for his second lot, on the exact date the breeder said, today, and he had a C5 on reccomendation from the vet as he will be starting puppy school wednesday night. Anyway, the vet said he will need another lot in 4 weeks. Is this right? I just don't remember anything from the breeder saying he needed three lots, just the two. Is it still ok to take him on walks and to the dog beach now that he has had his second lot?

So confusing!!

We also got him wormed again and a flea treatment (advantage) which the vet put on for us, and he will start on comfortis in a month!

Thank you!

Oh, she also said he needs to lose a bit of weight! We can feel his ribs, but apparently he doesn't have much of a waist.. He is 14kg at 11 weeks.

:)

Chester had his first lot of vaccinations (c3) at 7 weeks, and we just took him for his second lot, on the exact date the breeder said, today, and he had a C5 on reccomendation from the vet as he will be starting puppy school wednesday night. Anyway, the vet said he will need another lot in 4 weeks. Is this right? I just don't remember anything from the breeder saying he needed three lots, just the two. Is it still ok to take him on walks and to the dog beach now that he has had his second lot?

So confusing!!

We also got him wormed again and a flea treatment (advantage) which the vet put on for us, and he will start on comfortis in a month!

Thank you!

Oh, she also said he needs to lose a bit of weight! We can feel his ribs, but apparently he doesn't have much of a waist.. He is 14kg at 11 weeks.

:)

Wilbur was vaccinated with a c4 at 6 weeks. Then a c5 at 10 weeks (was 10.4 kg and we were told he needed to lose 500g; so we've cut back a little on food). He's due to have his 3rd and final shots at 14 weeks and then will be okay to go out and about two weeks later at 16 weeks :cheer:

The breeders vet had marked on our vaccination/health card that the 2nd shots should be at 14 weeks; not sure what that was about??

A vaccination at 14 weeks to me would be the last puppy one but this really is something you need to discuss with the breeder and the vet.

Not too keen on a vet that puts advantage on a puppy the same day it's vaccinated, especially not in a climate where you may not even need flea protection at the moment.

If it was my pup I'd be researching why you are putting so many chemicals into and onto him - do you have a flea plague at your house?

Edited by Sandra777

We got the flea treatment as the inlaws have a lot of feral cats hanging out the back, and as such their three small white fluffies constantly have fleas, and as she is a lover of flea powder, and nothing we say will change her mind, we decided to give him the flea treatment so we can take him around there with us, as we don't know anyone else with dogs he can play with. So we asked the vet for it.

I am also highly sensitive to flea bites and get massive welts, so would definitely try anything we can to lessen the chance of bringing fleas into our home!!

whats the comfortis for.... is that fleas... if so, are you still going to be using advantage? Don't think he needs both.

Mine have always had x3 vaccinations, we take them out and about after the second one though.

14kg is too heavy for an 11 week old. Male goldens should be putting on approx 1kg a week from the age of 8 weeks... up to 20 weeks... and then decreases from there.

Comfortis is for fleas for puppies and dogs from 14 weeks, hence why we had to use an advantage as he is only 11 weeks. Won't be using any more advantage from now on.

We just followed on from what the breeder said to do with his weight, and his ribs show a lot when he lays down on his back, and we can feel them all easily when he is standing. He gets at the moment, 1.5cups of black hawk adult a day, half a tin of sardines, every second day or so a chicken frame, sometimes an egg, sometimes small amounts of cheese and kabana for training treats. Oh, and a spoon of yoghurt. We completely cut out his two big milk drinks the breeder said to give him.. I'd hate to see how big he would be if he still had those!!

Will definitely try and cut his food back!! It's hard to get everything perfect with your first dog lol, so much advice, so little time!!

Thank you everyone :)

AG - yep, completely understandable, it is hard to get everything right, doesn't matter if it's your first or your 5th lol. How I brought up my first golden 18 years ago is completely different to how I am now bringing them up, foods change, research on different problems change etc and how to avoid them. You never stop learning :) We put ours on two feeds a day from about 3months.

My boy had his shots at 6 weeks than again at 12 weeks and was told to get a third lot (double up of C5) and 16 weeks. I asked my vet about it and she said it wasn't really necessary unless I was going to be taking him to area were a lot of dogs go (esp. where the potential of un-vac dogs go ie. dog parks) and going there quite often. I said I was looking at showing him but it wouldn't be a lot so she said it was up to me if I wanted the third one.

You should be fine to take him out after his second shot even if you do decide to get the third.

I would try and get him onto a puppy diet, Adult food really isn't the best for young pups.

Depending on the vaccine your vet used, he may quite rightly need another vacc in 4 weeks time, as not all C3 vaccs are registered for 10 week finishes. I like to be careful sometimes anyway, but I do live in a high parvo prevalence area.

I would try and get him onto a puppy diet, Adult food really isn't the best for young pups.

Depending on the vaccine your vet used, he may quite rightly need another vacc in 4 weeks time, as not all C3 vaccs are registered for 10 week finishes. I like to be careful sometimes anyway, but I do live in a high parvo prevalence area.

The vet approves the black hawk adult, and others have recommended it as he is a large breed pup and there is less fat in it than the puppy version. It also has instructions on how to change the amounts for puppies, so it's not too different than the puppy form of the same brand :)

Yep. Large breeds often do better on the lower protein in adult food too. High protein encourages fast growth, and in big dogs they should grow slowly, and let their bones form naturally without being pushed along too fast or carry excessive weight in heavy muscle and or fat.

I think the number of vaccinations depends on the brand but usually there are only 2 puppy vaccines given if you use just the C3. Two doses are required for a C5 so if the first is a C3 and the second a C5 then an extra shot needs to be given to activate the Kennel Cough part of the C5. Most breeders I know only give C3 for the first vaccine and many of us only use C3 after that. I haven't had a dog vaccinated with a C5 for about 20 years.