Heart Worm Protection For New Pup- Help Pls!

rose11

We have a 10 wk old cavalier king charles puppy.. Hoping for some advice on what i should buy for heartworm prevention, fleas, worms etc. There is so many products all varied slightly - any input would be much appreciated. I have my cocker spaniel on Sentinel - but after reading a few threads on dol - i am now considering other options- maybe i am unnecessarily treating things that he is not affected by?

I reccomend my clients either start their pups on monthly Milbemax tablets for intestinal and heart worm (at least this way I know people are giving what they need, rather than 2 different products), and discuss lots of flea options.

The other good choice for pups is Advocate, which is what I am currently using on my pup.

I used to give Valuheart, a cheaper alternative to Heartguard, that prevents heartworms only. I believe flea protection should be administered if and only if a) there are fleas in the area b) it's summer time. I worm them if they have worms, or show signs that they do. I don't give any heartworm protection now, under the advice of my vet, but it would be unwise for anyone else to do the same without consulting their vet.

I use valuheart for heartworm, treat for fleas if I see any and worm every 3 or 4 months. I never use a combo treatment and always have a day or two between medications if doing more than the one.

ETA I don't start heartworm treatment until 4 or 5 months of age, depending when the next tablet is due. I treat 6 weekly.

Edited by Rebanne