Federal Government Agrees To National Ban On Dangerous Dogs

cybergenesis

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THE family of the four-year-old savaged to death by a pit bull wants a national ban on dangerous dogs - and the Federal Government has agreed.

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/federal-government-to-unify-dangerous-dog-laws/story-e6frfkp9-1226132051447#ixzz1XKkyIvTg

OMG this is awful news and draconian.

What are peoples opinions?

The Federal government has agreed to try to help standardise laws, not introduce a national law. Where are the RSPCA when we need them? :(

start of the end I think for so many breeds who will get caught up in this, and just makes me cry - I know so many gentle dogs that would be targetted under the new "standard" the Vic Gov is using as their Restricted Breed identikit document and do not deserve it. Makes me very scared as a pet owner - I am scared of what agenda is behind this stirring the pot

THE family of the four-year-old savaged to death by a pit bull wants a national ban on dangerous dogs - and the Federal Government has agreed.

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/federal-government-to-unify-dangerous-dog-laws/story-e6frfkp9-1226132051447#ixzz1XKkyIvTg

OMG this is awful news and draconian.

What are peoples opinions?

The Federal government has agreed to try to help standardise laws, not introduce a national law. Where are the RSPCA when we need them? :(

The net effect could be very similar. Especially if they get a consensus from the majority of states- then across the majority of Australia, strict and draconian dogs laws could take effect.

I don't own a "dangerous breed" of dog, but I own a Labrador, and my next dog is going to be an English Mastiff. Both of these dogs are fully capable of being dangerous if socialized and treated the wrong way, and then allowed to wander at large among the public.

But what if I want to own one of these "banned" dog breeds in the future? Responsible and decent people who are fully capable of managing their dogs and committed to being good owners should not be banned from owning any type of dog.

Pitbulls and crosses are just popular with the rougher underclass, partially due to their cheap price due to backyard breeding. Even so, it is still exceedingly rare for a fatal attack on a human.

It is wrong to ban dog breeds, Australia's laws are already too strict in regard to dog ownership.

The victims of a rare and horrid dog attack are not the ones who should be in the position to be calling for rational dog laws.

Edited by cybergenesis

start of the end I think for so many breeds who will get caught up in this, and just makes me cry - I know so many gentle dogs that would be targetted under the new "standard" the Vic Gov is using as their Restricted Breed identikit document and do not deserve it. Makes me very scared as a pet owner - I am scared of what agenda is behind this stirring the pot

It could very well end up like It did previously In Italy, where so many breeds were on the BSL list :(

Off course they eventually removed them all when they realized It didn't work!

I just feel sad and scared for my dog and scared for all the poor innocent dogs who are going to die. This is disgusting. I don't know how much longer I will stay in Australia if these laws are bought into place.

Might move to Calgary.

Canberra's closer. I'm pretty confident the ACT won't get on this bandwagon.

I just feel sad and scared for my dog and scared for all the poor innocent dogs who are going to die. This is disgusting. I don't know how much longer I will stay in Australia if these laws are bought into place.

Might move to Calgary.

If these laws come into effect, it could mean a massive underground network of pitbull and pitbull breeders. If it works anything like drug prohibition, then these breeds could become even more popular and desirable among the undesirable elements of society.

Instead of seeing just marijuana busts and stuff on TV, we could see "Police Have Busted a Major Illicit Pitbull Breeding Ring in blah blah blah"

Who says the laws couldn't be expanded in the future anyway. Who says German Shepards or Rottweilers aren't dangerous? What about Neapolitan Mastiffs? What about many other dogs?"

Edited by cybergenesis

Might move to Calgary.

I don't know anymore, they are pushing for It to be national, how will they cope If being pushed :(

I'm beginning to think they will surrender, I really hope not but this has now made me lose that hope that It wouldn't

Might move to Calgary.

I don't know anymore, they are pushing for It to be national, how will they cope If being pushed :(

I'm beginning to think they will surrender, I really hope not but this has now made me lose that hope that It wouldn't

Sadly I think the same as you Danni. How long will the ACT hold up under National pressure to ban/restrict the breed. I think Australia as a whole is going to quickly become a very dangerous place to be a Pittie. The idiots who breed them, fight them etc won't care that their dog is taken away and euthanized but those of us who do care will be heartbroken. The good owners are being punished.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Interesting mix of comments.

Wonder who "Poodle owner of Canberra" is. ;)

How bizarre I was just going to ask you that. :D

Gosh there are some ill informed people out there.

ETA how many spare rooms do you have in your house PF? :laugh:

Edited by Quickasyoucan

Interesting mix of comments.

Wonder who "Poodle owner of Canberra" is. ;)

How bizarre I was just going to ask you that. :D

Gosh there are some ill informed people out there.

ETA how many spare rooms do you have in your house PF? :laugh:

Yes PF, that is a great question.

I have first dibs on a room at PF's house!

Seriously speaking though I think this is bigger than just pitbulls and I don't think owners of other breeds (even pedigreed ones) can afford to put their heads in the sand. Vic are talking about the "type" of dog (not breed specific) that is likely to be dangerous and that is heading down a slippery path.

I could be wrong but my understanding is purebred Amstaff owners got a break because there was an argument that the standard had moved a long way from the APBT. However Victoria is clearly saying Amstaff x and those types are restricted breeds not just APBT crosses. If SBT x's start getting mixed up in this as well as SBT's without papers but who are still genetically SBT's, the argument about standards becomes moot.

Judging by the reaction of Joe public anything that does not meet the "family dog mould" ought to have a one way trip to the killing fields.

Edited by Quickasyoucan