Emaciated Ig With Pancratitis

indigirl

Iggy rescue has jsut had an IG who is very emaciated come into care. We need to get some condition on this boy asap but to complicate matters he also has pancreatitis so must have a diet of less than 7% fat.

His foster carer has been given Hills Science Gastro plus Hills Science low fat canned. This is ok short term but rescue funds cannot stretch to keep him on this diet indefnately.

Anyone have any other suggestions on appropriate foods for this boy? His owner had been feeding him tinned Chum!! Gawd.

Would roo meat be low enough in fat does anyone know?

Konrad

conrad001.jpg

conrad011.jpg

conrad004.jpg

does he still have the symptoms that come with pancreatitus? If he does, he should be seen by a vet who will most likely fast him until he is over it and then roo meat would be OK. That's what I fed my boy once he was able to eat after his attack. Fat free cottage cheese and the same with natural yoghurt. I was advised to feed hard boiled eggs as a protein source too. Red kidney beans is also a very good source of protein and then he can gradually go onto other meats which are low in fat.

He apparently had his most recent bout of pancreatitis back in March?

Kirty we are extemely grateful for the funds believe me! As you know first hand IGs often need expensive vetwork prior to being rehomed. Pesky lil buggers they are :)

Konrad is with a new foster carer who doesnt seem keen on providing a special cooked diet like rice and boiled chicken etc for him. We have nowhere else for him to go at present so he will remain with her for the short term. Iggy rescue has been very busy the past month or so and we are very short on carers.

I am thinking more longer term about an appropriate diet that would work for him, even using the Hills Science kibble still but adding to it. Konrad will likely end up here with me at some point in time, once i reduce the number of fosters I have. My iggy pack is young and he would fit in well here. Roo meat is cheap and plentiful out this way so was thinking it may be a good option.

twodoggies some excellent food ideas there thanks!

Poor fella, he’s had a rough trot!

One of my Labradors had severe pancreatitis and was on the Hills diet for the first year after that. Then, as part of allergy screening, I fed her kangaroo meat for about four months but she developed kidney failure (cause not known for sure but the kangaroo meat may have contributed to it). She has been ok for the last year now and I feed her Advance weight control that has only 5% fat as well as some rice and the occasional carrot.

Microwaved rice/oats/lupins with a very small quantity of meat was what we used for our dog. 1 1/2 cups of rice, 1/2 cup of lupins (peas, beans of any kind) and small amount of meat. Cook on 6 out 0f 10 for 24 min. In a uncovered bowl....when it is cooked add 1/2 cup of oats and stir (whilst hot). Leave to cool , refrigerate and for a Grey you should have several small meals per day for 2 days. Very cheap and it puts on the weight. Low in protein and fat. Mostly carbs. Run it past your vet to check. It was/is successfully used on a GSD with the same, they increased the meat slightly. Also added Vit C, kelp......Good luck

Microwaved rice/oats/lupins with a very small quantity of meat was what we used for our dog. 1 1/2 cups of rice, 1/2 cup of lupins (peas, beans of any kind) and small amount of meat. Cook on 6 out 0f 10 for 24 min. In a uncovered bowl....when it is cooked add 1/2 cup of oats and stir (whilst hot). Leave to cool , refrigerate and for a Grey you should have several small meals per day for 2 days. Very cheap and it puts on the weight. Low in protein and fat. Mostly carbs. Run it past your vet to check. It was/is successfully used on a GSD with the same, they increased the meat slightly. Also added Vit C, kelp......Good luck

Thanks so much for that!

Konrad is an italain greyhound not a regular grey so i imagine that mixture would go further than a few days lol.

Thanks so much for that!

Konrad is an italain greyhound not a regular grey so i imagine that mixture would go further than a few days lol.

I forgot to add that if it is related to the type of pancreatitis to add enzymes tothe diet. Now I have finally found some info that i had "hidden" in all my Bookmarks for you to look at and read.....Hope it is relevant and useful

http://www.globalspan.net/epi.htm