Low Income, But Still Want Pet Insurance..

Aztec Gold

One reason I haven't gotten insurance before is the pay up front thing. If I could get my hands on thousands of dollars I wouldn't need insurance in the first place! I don't understand it at all, how does it help low income people if you can't get a large sum to pay the vet first. The vets here don't do payment plans (there are only two surgeries and the next is 150kms away) and we won't get GE credit at the moment as we aren't working.

I'll have a look at Prosure, but if anyone does know of an insurance plan that pays the vet please let me know!

Could pay the initial vet fees on a credit card (if you had one), and then get reimbursed from the insurance company.

No credit card either, and with no income we won't get one. I've had to stop work due to ill health and my partner cannot get anything around here, he's even going to try FIFO for the WA mines. I'm hoping we have no bad luck till he finds something, unless I can find a vet in Mildura who would work with the insurance issues.

Guest Black Obsession

Sorry to derail your thread...

I considered getting pet insurance about ten years ago...but decided against it after speaking with some of the insurance companies.

At the time, they told me they don't cover for treatment or surgery for hereditary diseases. Apparently, this is because they are classed as 'pre-existing conditions'.

So, unless their policies have changed in the last ten years, I don't see the point really.

Edited by Black Obsession

I considered getting pet insurance about ten years ago...but decided against it after speaking with some of the insurance companies.

At the time, they told me they don't cover for treatment or surgery for hereditary diseases. Apparently, this is because they are classed as 'pre-existing conditions'.

So, unless their policies have changed in the last ten years, I don't see the point really.

Pet insurance has changed considerably in the last 10 years and the majority of policies no longer have breed specific exclusions. So long as the dog has not had symptoms prior to taking out the policy then they're covered - otherwise its noted as a pre-existing condition.

Guest Black Obsession

Pet insurance has changed considerably in the last 10 years and the majority of policies no longer have breed specific exclusions. So long as the dog has not had symptoms prior to taking out the policy then they're covered - otherwise its noted as a pre-existing condition.

Oh, really? Thanks for letting me know. I had always thought of pet insurance as a bit of a scam.

No credit card either, and with no income we won't get one. I've had to stop work due to ill health and my partner cannot get anything around here, he's even going to try FIFO for the WA mines. I'm hoping we have no bad luck till he finds something, unless I can find a vet in Mildura who would work with the insurance issues.

Maybe have a look at this? It's credit though so you have to pay it off, but handy to know about in the event of an emergency and by the looks of things there are a couple of vets in Mildura who accept it

http://www.carecredit.com.au/Patients/index.html

$43 sounds a bit hefty for "cheap" insurance. What are you after? Are you after an insurance that pays all annualy vet bills (eg vaccinations?) or a plan for emergencies? If you were to consider a higher excess, your monthly premium would be a lot lower. I think I pay around $27 for Bella as I have her on $500 excess but I pay a fair bit more for Casper as he's on $250 excess. You could opt for the higher excess (ie lower premium) but put $10 a month aside in a seperate account (or a money tin which you hide away). I'm with Pet Insurance Australia.

Woah, MAJOR slap in the face from Petplan on my insurance renewal for Gus.

First year: $375 for the year, including a 10% discount because I have all seven pets insured through Petplan. Used to pay $204 a year for the cats, each, including the discount.

Gus's renewal came in the post today - $571. That's a $194 rise in premiums - and again, I didn't claim last year.

The cats are going up too - $275 apiece, though with the discount it'll be $247.50 each. Still, year on year that means Petplan have decided that this year I should pay them an extra $450 or so to insure my pets. That's an increase of 28.5%.

I rang them to ask the whys and they were frankly snotty on the phone. You know when someone starts to point out that you're already getting a discout, like they're doing you a favour? I'm insuring seven frickin pets with you lady, you tell me who's doing who a favour.

However I noticed on the renewal letter they're now being underwritten by Allianz - I don't remember that being the case before (though it could have been, must check the old policies). I was already stretching budgetary credibility paying out the insurance premiums on seven pets, but I did it because I understood it represented security and good value. Now I'm not so sure.

I send mine off with a copy of the invoice. I have a monthly account at the vets so put in with the pet insurance company before it is paid. I thought as long as the vet is happy for you to do it you can??? We mine let me anyway.

I did a quote for a phantom Whippet just recently adn the premium with Petplan was around $453 and previously it was $417. The annual cover had gone from $9000 to $10000 (budget)

The main reason I like it is they are covered up to you yearly maximum for any health condition. Some only cover a condition to the maximum amount and then they do not cover that particular condition any more. This way if I had a dog with a skin complaint that cost a reasonable amount I can claim up to my $10000 each year, not just up to $10000 total and that is it.