Tugging Damage To Teeth

Lablover

I used tug as a reward for about 4 months with one of my labradors, about 3 years ago. He turns 10 in October. He has lost two front teeth, one during the concentrated tugging (time).

A couple of other front teeth will need to be checked by a vet,as they look damaged. No problem with cost and as we all know, older dogs do need extra care.

He was a very good tugger!

How common is dental damage with tug rewarding?

Edited: Typos again!

Edited by Lablover

I've heard of tooth loss and other dental damage from bitework on a bite sleeve. I haven't heard of it occurring from tug before. I would wonder if your dog's teeth were already damaged before you tugged with him?

I imagine that neck injuries would be possible too, if you were extremely rough, or the dog had a pre-existing injury.

I've heard of tooth loss and other dental damage from bitework on a bite sleeve. I haven't heard of it occurring from tug before. I would wonder if your dog's teeth were already damaged before you tugged with him?

I imagine that neck injuries would be possible too, if you were extremely rough, or the dog had a pre-existing injury.

I bred this boy, and there was no history of poor teeth in his pedigree. I also have his litter sister whose teeth are perfect. I did little tugging with her. I keep in contact with three litter mate owners who also report no dental problems.

His teeth were in good condition.

He has no other health problems ie neck. Very good condition other than teeth. Very high dog who still trains and trials like a youngster.

Edited by Lablover

I am no expert LL but IMO you can go a long way to preventing damage by using the tug properly and using a good quality tug that is suitable for your dog and made of appropriate material.

I did think while observing testing and training at AQIS and SARDA I could have accidently caused the damage, but I was smooth. Dog was not. He took to tugging very well. Too well in hindsight.

Do you mean that the teeth came right out, or that they snapped off at the gumline? If the first then I would still be very suspicious of prior damage or a prior defect, I think, incisors only have one root but still should not pull out of the jaw very easily at all!

If the second, possibly he is getting them caught in what you are using & snapping them that way? Also, I would wonder, does he hold the tug properly when he tugs (i.e. behind his canines, right back in his molars), as incisors are not designed to take the force of tugging.

After typing my query, I did sit pondering.

Australian Customs use rolled up hand towels for example. I used a ball on a string as a tug.

As a retrieving competitor he could have damaged his front teeth while picking up from rough ground or cover?

Must ponder further, LOL.

Thankyou for pondering with me!!!

Australian Customs use rolled up hand towels for example. I used a ball on a string as a tug.

A rolled up hand towel can be gripped with the molars, but most dogs need to be taught to do this consistently. A ball on a string is usually held with the front teeth, I guess if the rope and ball were VERY sturdy it would be possible to do damage.

Some dogs have unusual chewing habits. One of my dogs has very worn down teeth because at different times she has chosen a house-brick, a hardwood burl, and a 6' garden sleeper as her favourite toys.

My dog has worn some of her front incisors by picking up stones off concrete and just about anything else she can pick up. Her canines are flattened slightly also. She's not allowed free access to toys and we don't use tennis balls. I do however use an Orbee ball to tug with but she does hold it well into her mouth generally. Although I think with mine I could blame socks! :laugh:

Some of the rope and string based tugs can cause problems for some dogs depending how they tug.

A nice leather based tug, that a dog can grip but it doesn't grab around the dog's teeth might work better. And I find a bungee tug works well to limit the power of the tugging and provide some shock absorption. Sometimes it's not about how hard a dog can tug, but to encourage the enthusiasm not the power. Some tug methods are definitely healthier than others. I try to avoid side-side or bouncy bouncy on the front paws and regripping (because dog can miss and get my hands.

I am no expert LL but IMO you can go a long way to preventing damage by using the tug properly and using a good quality tug that is suitable for your dog and made of appropriate material.

What is an appropriate material?

It depend on the dog IMO, some dogs tug better on some materials than others, you wouldn't want a hard synthetic tug on a dog that didn't have a good grip, you don't want a tug that's too wide for the dog's mouth, you don't want something that will fall apart either or get caught in the dog's teeth - i.e. french linen and leather make good tug surfaces.

I often recommend this article as a guide http://www.k9pro.com.au/pages.php?pageid=146

It depend on the dog IMO, some dogs tug better on some materials than others, you wouldn't want a hard synthetic tug on a dog that didn't have a good grip, you don't want a tug that's too wide for the dog's mouth, you don't want something that will fall apart either or get caught in the dog's teeth - i.e. french linen and leather make good tug surfaces.

I often recommend this article as a guide http://www.k9pro.com.au/pages.php?pageid=146

Thanks Huski... actually like these...

http://www.agilityclick.com/prod12.htm

but is does depend on your dog.

Have you tried these ones caffy?

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1690&ParentCat=276

Curious as they seem similar to the one you linked to. Kenz totally shreds her french linen ones (and thats just in the process of training they aren't left with her) they hardly last at all. The leather ones end up seriously slimy and disgusting :laugh:.

Thanks Huski... actually like these...

http://www.agilityclick.com/prod12.htm

but is does depend on your dog.

I like those ones too! I got one of those for Daisy and she was pulling fluff out of it the first time I tugged with her with it.

Then I bought it out to work with this fiery little Border Terrier in one of my classes one day and he ripped it to shreds in seconds :laugh:

Ultimately if I have a dog that loves to tug, I want it to be able to tug on a variety of surfaces and toys. But in the initial stages especially, IMO using the right tug for the dog is really important as the wrong one can turn them off.

Edited by huski

Have you tried these ones caffy?

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1690&ParentCat=276

Curious as they seem similar to the one you linked to. Kenz totally shreds her french linen ones (and thats just in the process of training they aren't left with her) they hardly last at all. The leather ones end up seriously slimy and disgusting :laugh:.

Our favourite tug has rabbit fur intertwined with polarfleece...they are from the US...but Snazz is happy to tug anything :)

Are they the kollarsbykathryn ones caffy - I just got 2 new ones recently from there or the ones from clean run that are on free shipping at the moment. Kenz tugs on anything as well :rofl:. I try and keep her french linen ones for proper training sessions at club and have been using polar fleece ones whenever we want to train anything else just for fun :laugh:.

Edited by ness

I usually use a rolled up face washer but vary it as much as possible.

Sometimes just a single washer rolled up and taped, sometimes 2 rolled and taped, sometimes little torpedo ones that are folded in half before rolling and sometimes join a few together and have a star or something so when they win it they can pull it apart and kill it.

Then throw in washing machine and ready to go next time.