K9pro Loose Leash Walking Dlp

Kitteh

Hi guys,

Harper's reactivity on walks just seems to be getting worse, and I was checking out the K9pro LLW programme and it seems quite good.

So, if you've done it, how'd you find it? Did it help with reactivity? Any other comments?

Tia

smile.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at doing it. I know that SkyeK9 has done it, so maybe if you send her a PM. I am friends with her on FB so can ask her to pop in to the thread as well. Otherwise you could always send an email to Steve Courtney himself. According to the Facebook page he is on holidays at the moment until the 19th of September, but I am sure if you email him when he gets back, give him bit of information on yourself, Harper and what you are hoping to achieve so that he could let you know if he thinks the program will be suitable :).

Edited by Brennan's Mum

I am looking at doing it. I know that SkyeK9 has done it, so maybe if you send her a PM. I am friends with her on FB so can ask her to pop in to the thread as well. Otherwise you could always send an email to Steve Courtney himself. According to the Facebook page he is on holidays at the moment until the 19th of September, but I am sure if you email him when he gets back, give him bit of information on yourself, Harper and what you are hoping to achieve so that he could let you know if he thinks the program will be suitable :).

Wasn't there a thread on this just recently? I've searched Training/Obedience and can't find it (doesn't mean it's not here :laugh: ) or maybe it's in General.

Wasn't there a thread on this just recently? I've searched Training/Obedience and can't find it (doesn't mean it's not here :laugh: ) or maybe it's in General.

That'd be great Brennan's Mum. I'd love to hear SkyeK9's perspective.I have emailed them, and posted a Q on their forum, but there's been no reply. (Forgot they were on hols :D)

I did a search as well, and all it came up with was LLW threads. Nothing specific to this programme. If you find it though, can you post the link?

That'd be great Brennan's Mum. I'd love to hear SkyeK9's perspective.I have emailed them, and posted a Q on their forum, but there's been no reply. (Forgot they were on hols :D)

I did a search as well, and all it came up with was LLW threads. Nothing specific to this programme. If you find it though, can you post the link?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/225844-any-one-doneknow-about-the-k9pro-loose-leash-course/page__p__5470109__hl__%2Bpro+%2Bdistance__fromsearch__1#entry5470109

Is this the one?

embarrass.gif I'm guessing it must be. Thanks Henrietta.

Would still love to hear people's reasons for doing it. ( Was it solely for leash pulling? Reactivity to other animals/people/leaves gently blowing in the wind?) and if it was effective.

embarrass.gif I'm guessing it must be. Thanks Henrietta.

Would still love to hear people's reasons for doing it. ( Was it solely for leash pulling? Reactivity to other animals/people/leaves gently blowing in the wind?) and if it was effective.

Odd coincidence, but I have that page open on my browser right now

Im looking at it because Lexi doesn't pull, but she does walk in front on a taught lead, I'm struggling to teach her to walk on a loose lead, she also reacts to random cats/dogs/birds on walks and would put chase if she wasn't on lead, I usually struggle to control her until we're past the offending creature

Re the Loose Leash Walking program offered by Steve Courtney at K9Pro. I cannot praise it enough. I have gone from a barking,lunging,re-active GSD to one that walks beside me on a loose leash and altho' alert, she looks to me for direction. We now walk every morning with my grandson in his stroller and the comments I have from passers-by is so rewarding. We also had a few dogs that Skye would react badly to - I can now say that we can walk past these dogs with no aggressive reaction. From where we were twelve months ago (out in the training wilderness) the mentoring I have received from Steve has been invaluable. Drop him an email and outline your concerns/problems or check the K9Pro website out.

PS - we also have a 5 mth old Maltese/Shitzu who will be following the same program as I believe size does not make the behaviour any "cuter" and if she was Skye's size, I reckon she would be classified as reactive/aggressive!!!!! :)

Edited by Skye GSD

Re the Loose Leash Walking program offered by Steve Courtney at K9Pro. I cannot praise it enough. I have gone from a barking,lunging,re-active GSD to one that walks beside me on a loose leash and altho' alert, she looks to me for direction. We now walk every morning with my grandson in his stroller and the comments I have from passers-by is so rewarding. We also had a few dogs that Skye would react badly to - I can now say that we can walk past these dogs with no aggressive reaction. From where we were twelve months ago (out in the training wilderness) the mentoring I have received from Steve has been invaluable. Drop him an email and outline your concerns/problems or check the K9Pro website out.

PS - we also have a 5 mth old Maltese/Shitzu who will be following the same program as I believe size does not make the behaviour any "cuter" and if she was Skye's size, I reckon she would be classified as reactive/aggressive!!!!! :)

Thanks for the feedback Skye :) I want to do it with Harper who's a Bichon x. I have the same thoughts as you. Just because it's a small dog, doesn't make it any cuter. I've emailed K9Pro, just waiting for them to come off of their holiday break.

Edited by Kitteh

Skye how does it work? Is it tailored for the dog?

Hi GoldenGirl85 - the program is tailored to each dog's personality/behaviour and does require you to complete a questionnaire specifically designed to give Steve this feedback so the program I have for Skye would not neccessarily fit others. It is all about learning the triggers for your dog's behaviour and practising within their comfort zone before taking it "on the road". Skye was neither food nor toy driven in a reactive state so consequently I had a dog that I could not take in to a training class let alone walk past other dogs on the street without a reaction - she had no ears and her only purpose in life was to either play (as a puppy) or aggressively react to other dogs in the near vicinity. Skye is also not fear/aggressive so consequently it has all been about embracing the drive she has and finding her passion which is a tug toy. Due to the training I have done with Steve's guidance (we live in WA so all our communication is by email) Skye is now seeing me as more valuable than other dogs and she is coming along in leaps and bounds.

I honestly cannot praise this program enough - Skye is my 5th GSD and my most challenging so even with the experience I have had with my previous dogs, I was at a loss as to how and make it work for Skye and me. Thankfully we have found the answers.

Hi GoldenGirl85 - the program is tailored to each dog's personality/behaviour and does require you to complete a questionnaire specifically designed to give Steve this feedback so the program I have for Skye would not neccessarily fit others. It is all about learning the triggers for your dog's behaviour and practising within their comfort zone before taking it "on the road". Skye was neither food nor toy driven in a reactive state so consequently I had a dog that I could not take in to a training class let alone walk past other dogs on the street without a reaction - she had no ears and her only purpose in life was to either play (as a puppy) or aggressively react to other dogs in the near vicinity. Skye is also not fear/aggressive so consequently it has all been about embracing the drive she has and finding her passion which is a tug toy. Due to the training I have done with Steve's guidance (we live in WA so all our communication is by email) Skye is now seeing me as more valuable than other dogs and she is coming along in leaps and bounds.

I honestly cannot praise this program enough - Skye is my 5th GSD and my most challenging so even with the experience I have had with my previous dogs, I was at a loss as to how and make it work for Skye and me. Thankfully we have found the answers.

Is very good you is having improvment, but you saying is better for the email training that hire trainer in person yes? Surely I thinking must be trainer in WA to help on this problem?

Joe

Is very good you is having improvment, but you saying is better for the email training that hire trainer in person yes? Surely I thinking must be trainer in WA to help on this problem?

Joe

I don't see anywhere where Skye has said that it is better to hire an 'email trainer' then some one closer. I am certain she looked at her options before deciding that K9 Pro was the right choice for her.

Although Steve does seem to have a lot of successful clients who have done his DLPs so he must be doing something right in his email communications ;)

Edited by Brennan's Mum

Joe

I don't know any of SkyeGSD circumstances but being from WA I know that most of the trainers here are extremely 'positive' and food driven trainers, not that there is anything wrong with that but if that has been exhausted there isn't a lot of choice to switch to a different type of training.

Also, WA is a big place with a small population. I live over 600km away from the nearest dog trainer that can help with behavioural problems.

Joe

I don't see anywhere where Skye has said that it is better to hire an 'email trainer' then some one closer. I am certain she looked at her options before deciding that K9 Pro was the right choice for her.

Although Steve does seem to have a lot of successful clients who have done his DLPs so he must be doing something right in his email communications ;)

Of course the Steve having plenty of the email training clients, is nice little earning for him cutting out local trainer for the job. No trainer in the world having ability to properly work out behavior on the dog from email chatting but if it fixes the dog and Steve fall off his wallet is good.

Joe

Edited by JoeK

Don't know what your problem is mate!

Where I live there is no 'local' trainer near me who has any idea how to train a dog like my gsd. I tried with them and they made things worse.

I have used a couple of Steves distance learning packages, both Training in Drive and LLW. Both I have found extremely helpful. I communicated to Steve with email, phone calls and on line video footage, and let me tell you the amount of contact and support I had from him was second to none. In monetry terms I got more per dollar from this program than perhaps I would have seeing a trainer face to face.

So perhaps before you get on your high horse about these programs being nothing more than a revenue raiser, maybe you should educate yourself as to what they actualy entail.

For people like me that have no local trainer option, they can be a lifeline!

Edited by laeral

I think that it is ideal to get hands-on advice from a really good trainer. However, this isn't always possible. Not every location has a local dog trainer, and not every location with a trainer has a really good trainer. I've spent any amount of money on professional trainers in the past, most of it wasted.

I've done one of Steve's DLP in the past, I was a bit skeptical at first, but it's not just "talking by email" - I ended up sending so much video to Steve that he spent far more time watching my stafford than all the "real-life" trainers I've hired combined.

I believe that in some ways, a DLP with a good trainer (and Steve is very good) is far superior to real-life lessons with an average trainer.

Geez JoeK - for someone who professes to have experience in the handling of high-drive dogs I am extremely disappointed in your reaction on this thread. As others have noted, WA is not oozing with great trainers for "problem" dogs and if you have followed my posts you will know that I am not an inexperienced handler of GSD's. My choices of personal training were either food (Skye is not food driven in a reactive state) or to shut her down completely with a choke chain which I did not want to do. I did my homework and the results I am having with Steve's DLP far outweigh any personal training I had received. Shouldn't all training be about what what works for your dog? I have an ecstatically happy dog who loves her training and I owe that to Steve Courtney so get rid of the green-eyed monster and accept that it is the success of the clients/dogs that make GREAT trainers.

Of course the Steve having plenty of the email training clients, is nice little earning for him cutting out local trainer for the job. No trainer in the world having ability to properly work out behavior on the dog from email chatting but if it fixes the dog and Steve fall off his wallet is good.

Joe

Now where have I heard this before...

Joe

Now where have I heard this before...

The point I make here is said a thousand time before on this board too is true that you cant assess a dog properly on the email chat, there would not be a competence trainer in the world who say you can, ok you can help on the chat sure, but the chat is compromise for on the job trainer and I explain why.

Firstly the email trainer has to get right information from the handler, is impossible to get all the vital information from the handler becuase the handler doesnt knowing what is vital to tell and what is not or able to be determining for themselves the difference. I have experience people discribe a dog and show the video then buy the dog and get him home the dog is useless, nothing like what seen on video or describe, unless you see the dog yourself to assessing behavior and trait many errors can be occurring in the process from email chat. Is when you get it wrong causing the problem and email and the video has the biggest liklyhood for the error happening compared with trainer on the job for real.

Is sad to be thinking the local trainers are that bad to be teaching loose leash walking which is basic training, pfffff, any trainer half decent should be able to do this otherwise should not call themselve dog trainer and for better success happening from email training for me this is joke of the indusrty, but what I say here for my opinion for dog training is not better to do email training than the real thing is compromise, not the ultimate choice for best results.

If the Steve think is email training is better than trainer of his standard on the job for real hes pulling your leg, of course his email training is better than useless trainer on the job, but my point is on my opnion if asking what is best email training or training in person I say training in person is always best decisoin and email training is comnpromise.

Joe