Confused About Cooked Bones

Ozmutt

I have just obtained an 8 week old puppy and I want to do the best by her. I have read many times that dogs must not be fed cooked bones and the reasons given make sense to me.

However, what I do not understand is that any pet shop I visit has a variety of dehydrated/roasted (i.e. cooked) lamb necks, roo tails or other bones (e.g. Blackdog range). Surely if it was unsafe they would not sell them. :confused:

Is there a difference between these bones and other cooked bones?

Agree with the above. I don't like them and won't give them because while they are not 'cooked' the drying process results in the same thing. An occasional Pigs Ear I will give - no bone in them.

Confusing I know, but just because something is sold for pets doesn't mean it will really be the best thing to buy. A big case of buyer beware and being an informed owner. (gold stars to you for thinking before you buy :thumbsup: )

Edited by espinay2

I would never feed cooked bones of course, since it changes the digestibility as well as chance of splintering, but I've feed smoked and dehydrated bones without incident. I have a friend that is so paranoid about what they feed their dogs they started their own dog food business, and they still sell dehydrated bones (not smoked tho I believe).

Dogs can even choke on kibble. It all depends on how cautious you want to be :shrug:

I wouldn't feed a smoked or dehydrated bone to my dog, but she is a labrador who doesn't really chew.

The danger isn't in choking but in the bones splintering and causing a blockage or perforation in the gut.

I think it really depends on the dog, but I prefer raw bones for my dog anyway.

I don't see the point in "cooking" the bone- its not like dogs need it and I don't see the benefit exept maybe storage and price (I have no idea- are they cheaper than raw bones?)

I just had a look around the internet, and can't find any worthwhile information about smoked and dried bones vs. raw bones. Plenty of opinions of course, from "no bones ever!" to "raw is full of bacteria!", "smoked bones still splinter" and "raw, smoked or dried bones are all good for dogs' teeth and boredom". I haven't had any problems personally, but I haven't been able to find out if smoking necessarily causes dangerous bones. Maybe someone with better google-fu or some inside knowledge?

ETA: it seems that slow smoking is fine, but it's more a matter of whether you trust your pet shop to smoke properly rather than at high temps then add artificial smoke smell/taste

Edited by Weasels

Guest Black Obsession

I've bought them before - they're so gross and fatty. I'd say they would have the same consistency as a cooked bone.

I wouldn't risk it. Fresh raw, meaty bones are much healthier.

Many thanks for the replies. It seems the safest course is to leave them off the menu. It just doesn't seem worth the risk.

My problem with a lot of those products is not the bone issue but how they are prepared, and where they are prepared. I won't feed the dogs any pet treats made in China for example, I just don't have confidence in their pet food safety regulations. A lot of the stuff sitting out in bins has no information on manufacture or origin and the staff have NFI too.

I do feed some stuff other owners don't feed, but to the Salukis and Afghans because they will chew rather than hoover. So I feed those dry chicken neck treats - other people I know won't feed chicken necks even raw. Also give them marrow bones from time to time - but that's supervised and I scoop out the marrow for the ones that need help to stay trim.

I agree with Espinay that you need to inform yourself, and make judgements about the product and about your breed and your dogs.

I thought smoking was a form of cooking?

Yes smoking is a form of cooking, and IMO so is dehydrating [my food dehydrator does meat and it's heated to 55 degrees for 6-10 hours]. Both would change the structure of the bone and make it more brittle.

I also agree with SSM, I do worry about where they are processed. The amount of chemicals ending up in human grade food from China is incredible, god knows what is in pet food as I doubt it is as readily controlled!

We used to give our dogs smoked bones from the pet shop....our labrador got a severe bowel obstruction when part of the bone chipped off inside...corrective surgery/massive vet bill later, we will never feed them these bones again. The pet shops don't provide any education on these bones and have no idea of the dangers; I remember when we were quite naive about dogs and we asked the salespeople if the smoked bones were safe, and they assured us that ' all bones are fine , they're dogs after all' !!

We used to give our dogs smoked bones from the pet shop....our labrador got a severe bowel obstruction when part of the bone chipped off inside...corrective surgery/massive vet bill later, we will never feed them these bones again. The pet shops don't provide any education on these bones and have no idea of the dangers; I remember when we were quite naive about dogs and we asked the salespeople if the smoked bones were safe, and they assured us that ' all bones are fine , they're dogs after all' !!

:rolleyes:

yes, because it's quite common to see a pack of wolves or dogs smoking their kill for some added flavour, after a long day of hunting :rofl:

Edited by SparkyTansy