Dogs In The Community

melzawelza

Hi Horse, do you mean who judges the dogs to be restricted or not or who judges which dogs are invited to the rally?

If its the latter I can't speak for certain for the states other than Sydney (not sure where you are) but there won't be any judging of attendees dogs. We are volunteers doing this in between our full time jobs so if we were to individually assess the dogs of everyone wanting to come the rally simply wouldn't happen. Only dogs that are already known to the organizers to be able to handle stressful situations and/or belonging to professional trainers will be invited so that we have enough time to pull this together.

If your dog is a certified assistance dog then that may be a different story, as these dogs do have a much higher level of training, especially dealing with crowds and potentially stressful situations so you will need to contact the organizers of your particular states rally to discuss.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne Rally. Copy and paste from the NDTF facebook page.

NDTF - National Dog Trainers Federation (Australia)

The NDTF are proud to announce that they have agreed for their Operations Manager, Brad Griggs, to take on the running of a Melbourne based rally in response to the latest legislative changes pushed through the Victorian parliament.

Brad has been very active in the canine community regarding these changes, and is passionate about the issues associated with dog bites in the community, and also BSL.

The NDTF recognises the need to show industry leadership on this matter, and has donated a month of Brad's time and NDTF resources to enable the event to be as successful as possible.

The NDTF are proud of this announcement, and we sincerely hope the community can come together in the quest for a world class, science-driven animal management policy.

Lets hope all dog owners will support this effort. I think the government may have underestimated just how many people are disgusted in this law that has been rushed through and forced upon us. It is poorly written, and very damaging to innocent owners and their dogs. Please try to attend and spread the word. Thanks.

ETA. Brad Griggs will be on the channel 7, Sunrise show tomorrow morning at 6.45am. Sunrise has an app for mobiles, android and Iphone, and they seem to get the show up on the app quite quickly. So, if you miss the show and wish to view the segment, you can also find it there.

Edited by sumosmum

Hi all,

Final edit on the mission statement after conversing with Brad who is running the Melbourne event. We're very happy with it now and it won't be edited further. Next step is confirming speakers (we are waiting to hear back at the moment), setting up a webpage that can be accessible for people that don't have facebook, and hopefully getting this in the media as much as possible.

Dogs in the Community – a rally against BSL and for improved Companion Animal Practices in Australia.

Recent media attention regarding canine aggression and dog bite incidents in the community has once again brought issues such as Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) and companion animal management practices to the forefront. A rally addressing these issues and the continuing failure of government to adequately address community safety and/or canine welfare is being held at Belmore Park (opposite Central Station), Sydney on October 22, 12- 3pm.

Who is this rally for?

Anyone, not just dog owners, who is interested in the issues regarding dogs in the community. In particular, matters of:

• Community Safety - The current measures taken by government categorically fail to make the community safer, continuing to put the general public at risk, despite proven solutions being available.

• Breed Specific Legislation - All available scientific literature proves BSL ineffective, and academics and Subject Matter Experts (SME’s) universally acknowledge that BSL does not make communities safer from dog bite incidents.

• Animal Welfare - World class, science-driven animal management strategies are in use in many areas of the world. These areas enjoy not only extremely low incidences of dog bites, but animal destruction rates that are considered “No Kill” (>10%).

• Social Progress – Policies such as BSL are 25 years behind other countries in terms of providing a solution that most advantages the community.

• Responsible Guardianship - How do we encourage and ensure responsible dog guardianship?

• Tax Payers - Citizens who want their taxes spent efficiently and effectively, in the best interests of their communities, ought to be alarmed at the current state of affairs. Proven self-funded models are available to make the public safer while simultaneously improving animal welfare.

Our keynote speakers will address these topics in detail from various perspectives.

Can I bring my dog to the rally?

Dogs who serve the community, such as assistance dogs and police dogs, undergo extensive training in order to be behaviourally reliable in crowded situations. A rally is an unfamiliar, potentially challenging/stressful environment for many dogs, which could lead to unexpected behaviours. Therefore, whilst we all love our dogs and would like them to attend, ONLY dogs that have been invited by the organisers prior to the event are to attend. These dogs will act as representatives of all dogs in the community.

Your support of, and compliance with, this decision is sincerely appreciated by all who will attend the rally.

This is a Peaceful Rally!

It is important that the majority of Australians are given the opportunity to identify with our messages as non-threatening and in the best interests of Australian society. This rally is based on peaceful protest and intelligent debate. It is an alcohol-free event and the organisers ask all participants to refrain from disruptive behaviour, including abusive language.

We understand why some owners of particular breeds/types of dogs that are being targeted by the media feel frustration and anger, however, we also understand that the general public – who have been fed a diet of misinformation, media hysteria and political rhetoric – cannot be expected to join us in a call for change unless we engage with them in a positive and productive fashion.

Banners and Signs are encouraged, however the language and phrases used must be chosen carefully (spelling is important!). Slogans such as “Ban Stupid People, Not Dogs” have the potential to create division rather than cooperation. Slogans along the lines of those in the list below are welcome:

“Consult the Experts”

“Deed Not Breed”

“Breed Specific Legislation - Science Disagrees”

“Breeds Don’t Make Bad Dogs, People Make Bad Dogs”

“Education Not Discrimination”

“Breed Specific Policy Fails the Public”

“BSL = Epic Fail”

“Honour Ayen’s Memory – Protection Through Good Policy”

“Media Driven Policy = Failure”

“Science + Education = Public Safety”

“Scientists Agree: Abolish Poor Policy”

“Our Kids Deserve Better”

“End BSL, Save Human Lives”

“Science + Research = No BSL”

How can you get involved?

As well as attending on the day, if you wish to donate time or resources to the rally, please email us briefly, outlining how you wish to contribute. Please include in the subject line of your email: your state, followed by ‘HELP AVAILABLE’ and your name, e.g. “NSW, HELP AVAILABLE John Jones”

Please send email to: [email protected]

Melbourne Rally. Copy and paste from the NDTF facebook page.

NDTF - National Dog Trainers Federation (Australia)

The NDTF are proud to announce that they have agreed for their Operations Manager, Brad Griggs, to take on the running of a Melbourne based rally in response to the latest legislative changes pushed through the Victorian parliament.

Brad has been very active in the canine community regarding these changes, and is passionate about the issues associated with dog bites in the community, and also BSL.

The NDTF recognises the need to show industry leadership on this matter, and has donated a month of Brad's time and NDTF resources to enable the event to be as successful as possible.

The NDTF are proud of this announcement, and we sincerely hope the community can come together in the quest for a world class, science-driven animal management policy.

Lets hope all dog owners will support this effort. I think the government may have underestimated just how many people are disgusted in this law that has been rushed through and forced upon us. It is poorly written, and very damaging to innocent owners and their dogs. Please try to attend and spread the word. Thanks.

ETA. Brad Griggs will be on the channel 7, Sunrise show tomorrow morning at 6.45am. Sunrise has an app for mobiles, android and Iphone, and they seem to get the show up on the app quite quickly. So, if you miss the show and wish to view the segment, you can also find it there.

It is great that Brad is involved. You would struggle to find anyone better. :thumbsup:

Suggestion

If you want good attendance, make sure to include date and time in all posts relating to an event. I'm confused at this point about whether this event is in Sydney, Melbourne, both, or elsewhere. Not that I'm going to fly out from the US to attend in any case. But my guess is, others are as confused as I.

Suggestion

If you want good attendance, make sure to include date and time in all posts relating to an event. I'm confused at this point about whether this event is in Sydney, Melbourne, both, or elsewhere. Not that I'm going to fly out from the US to attend in any case. But my guess is, others are as confused as I.

There is apparently a rally in each state. There is a facebook page set up, that is talking about all the rallies, and then there are separate ones I think. I don't know who started all the facebook pages, but I it does say that the Melbourne rally is happening on the 22nd October at 11am, Parliament House. Looks like from the other pages I have skimmed over that they will all be on the 22nd October.

Yup that's correct Sumosmum, a number of other states are also holding rallies on the same day, there is a link in the OP to the facebook page.

We're hoping to have a basic website set up on Monday to then promote the rally to those who do not have facebook.

We have had confirmation from RSPCA NSW and the AVA that they would like to be involved, and are now just waiting on finding out how much of an involvement that will be.

We've also contacted Clover Moore and we're waiting to hear back.

ETA: We really need everyone to help us out with promoting these rallies as it's so important that we get the numbers up. If anyone with facebook could share it would be much appreciated.

Edited by melzawelza

Yup that's correct Sumosmum, a number of other states are also holding rallies on the same day, there is a link in the OP to the facebook page.

We're hoping to have a basic website set up on Monday to then promote the rally to those who do not have facebook.

We have had confirmation from RSPCA NSW and the AVA that they would like to be involved, and are now just waiting on finding out how much of an involvement that will be.

ETA: We really need everyone to help us out with promoting these rallies as it's so important that we get the numbers up. If anyone with facebook could share it would be much appreciated.

Do you guys need help with the website?

Dju if you've got talents in that area then certainly help is welcomed as we don't!! LOL. At the moment I'm just fiddling around on Weebly which makes it quite easy luckily, but if you have any suggestions they are welcomed.

I am a relatively good web designer although I'm still a student so there are some things I don't know LOL. I'll PM you.

I can't thank Dju enough for her help, she is going to get the website together for us. None of us are skilled in this area so by having Dju doing it we will be able to get it out to the public much faster and it will be much, much higher quality than anything we could produce.

No worries guys, I just want the same outcome as everyone else :) I hope the initiative generates a lot of support through the website, and if my 1337 graphic design skillz can help that cause, then that's the best reward ever :thumbsup:

We're hoping to have a basic website set up on Monday to then promote the rally to those who do not have facebook. We have had confirmation from RSPCA NSW and the AVA that they would like to be involved, and are now just waiting on finding out how much of an involvement that will be.

Do you have a link to the website, I'm interested in attending the Shep rally but it didn't seem to be getting a huge response and unfortunately Melbourne is just too far away as I am working that night.

Hi M-j, the wonderful Dju from the board is currently constructing a brilliant, professional website for us, and should be finished by Sunday at the latest (hopefully earlier). Once it's up and running I'll post the link here for everyone.

On my phone so can't link, but if you jump on the Australia wide rally page I think there is a link to the Shep group, you may be able to find the info that you are after there.

Hi M-j, the wonderful Dju from the board is currently constructing a brilliant, professional website for us, and should be finished by Sunday at the latest (hopefully earlier). Once it's up and running I'll post the link here for everyone.

On my phone so can't link, but if you jump on the Australia wide rally page I think there is a link to the Shep group, you may be able to find the info that you are after there.