So Much For Going To The Royal Melbourne Show!

Andisa

Melbourne Royal has the BEST drop-off and parking arrangements of any Royal I have been to (Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne). If you had read your exhibitor handbook Andisa, you would have known when the gates opened for parking and for drop-off. There is even a map of how to get between the two. At that early hour, you could probably have gotten street parking too. Arriving at 6am is perhaps overkill for a show that doesn't start until 10am. Parking opens at 7.30, which is 2.5 hrs before judging starts, so should be plenty of time.

Melbourne Royal also has BY FAR the best exhibitor information booklet, and all the information you need is usually in it. Royals are a test of metal at the best of times, and some like to really put exhibitors to the test! (hellooooo Brisbane :laugh: ) so next time, be patient and understand that a Royal is a big event, and they have many different exhibitors and the public to cater for. Tis a bit dramatic to go home rather than wait for the carpark to open!

So, to those who have not yet attended this year, dont worry - car parking is great, attendants at drop-off and parking are helpful and patient. Trailer parking is drive-in, drive-out (no reversing), but you will need to reverse in the drop-off area. The drop off area is big and well managed, and right next to the entrance gate. Dedicated path take you from the parking area back to the showgrounds, and there are donut vans on the way :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . Even when we arrived late one year, we easily got a park.

Gail

They didnt do that when they first changed to the cattle pavillions...we could park in the grounds to the right of the gate...if the exhibitors werent in that carpark who was? It is only in recent years that they have done the drop off instead.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne Royal has the BEST drop-off and parking arrangements of any Royal I have been to (Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne). If you had read your exhibitor handbook Andisa, you would have known when the gates opened for parking and for drop-off. There is even a map of how to get between the two. At that early hour, you could probably have gotten street parking too. Arriving at 6am is perhaps overkill for a show that doesn't start until 10am. Parking opens at 7.30, which is 2.5 hrs before judging starts, so should be plenty of time.

Melbourne Royal also has BY FAR the best exhibitor information booklet, and all the information you need is usually in it. Royals are a test of metal at the best of times, and some like to really put exhibitors to the test! (hellooooo Brisbane :laugh: ) so next time, be patient and understand that a Royal is a big event, and they have many different exhibitors and the public to cater for. Tis a bit dramatic to go home rather than wait for the carpark to open!

So, to those who have not yet attended this year, dont worry - car parking is great, attendants at drop-off and parking are helpful and patient. Trailer parking is drive-in, drive-out (no reversing), but you will need to reverse in the drop-off area. The drop off area is big and well managed, and right next to the entrance gate. Dedicated path take you from the parking area back to the showgrounds, and there are donut vans on the way :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . Even when we arrived late one year, we easily got a park.

Gail

Gail - you need to come to the Adelaide Royal - parking right next to the pavillion. (Get there early, but still soooo very easy...).

Plus Adelaide has large indoor turf rings, great benches, benching pavilion closes for lunch, all undercover from benches to rings & you marshall away from public in an area large enough to warm up most dogs in. Good grandstands too, lots of public watching.

I love the set up at Adelaide Royal, it's very exhibitor friendly

Edited by Rottshowgirl

Plus Adelaide has large indoor turf rings, great benches, benching pavilion closes for lunch, all undercover from benches to rings & you marshall away from public in an area large enough to warm up most dogs in. Good grandstands too, lots of public watching.

The benching at Adelaide may be fine for larger dogs, but with Toy dogs.. we were penned away from public which is good, but hardly any room to put trolleys or even a chair to sit on. I had two dogs entered, one penned on top of the other so i had about one and half foot wide in front of my pens to park my trolley and grooming box etc. Luckily the other exhibitors were much in the same boat and we just squished together.

The surface in the rings was fine but as you ran around, it was a little uneven at times and uneven sounding. Parking and marshalling is excellent. I arrived just after 8am and there was still a fair amount of parking there. Good for when you are by yourself.

This was my first Melb.Royal, ( entered in the Annual Puppy awards) i was a bit nervous because of all the dramas I had read regarding parking........'What dramas':shrug: , so I drove straight to Flemington Race Course (main enterance of Epsom rd) got there @ 7.30am paid my $15 for secure parking, I had heaps of time to go to the toilet, loaded up the trolley and walked my Bitch, we had a nice stress free walk :walkdog: to the show grounds my girl had a sniff and a look around on the way.:D

Found our bench with no problems and as we were there early I took my time setting up for the day, I loved it had a great day caught up with friends, had a nice lunch :eat: and the day actualy went quite quickly, looking forward to going back on Friday for our breed class.

Just hope that this rain goes away.:crossfingers:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ENTERED AND THOSE WHO HAVE MADE IT TO SPECIALS DAY (SAT)

The benching at Adelaide may be fine for larger dogs, but with Toy dogs.. we were penned away from public which is good, but hardly any room to put trolleys or even a chair to sit on. I had two dogs entered, one penned on top of the other so i had about one and half foot wide in front of my pens to park my trolley and grooming box etc. Luckily the other exhibitors were much in the same boat and we just squished together.

The surface in the rings was fine but as you ran around, it was a little uneven at times and uneven sounding. Parking and marshalling is excellent. I arrived just after 8am and there was still a fair amount of parking there. Good for when you are by yourself.

I know what you are saying about smaller dogs. I once had my dogs pen allocated above the pen of a dog belonging to another exhibitor. Tiny space for 2 people and their gear. Hence no where to sit for one of us and no where to put our "stuff". Not good enough but love everything else about adelaide.