So Much For Going To The Royal Melbourne Show!

Andisa

Well this was supposed to be my first Royal Melbourne Show and I was really looking forward to it, so was Tracy. The clock was set for 4.30am (earlier for Tracy), everything ready and waiting for pickup and off we go all excited about our big day. We arrived at the gates nice and early by 6am and were back home again by 7.30am...

We could have done what others were doing - park in the drop off/pick up area. Unload dogs and equipment and move the car SOME WHERE and move it again later - and risk parking fines or towing. We started to unpack, found our benches but since we had no where to leave the car we decided "stuff it". Entries are not cheap - $30 entry fee per dog - is it too much to ask for to have the gates open before 8.30/9am - including the paid parking, they would not accept our $15 for parking before 8.30/9am.. We drove around for a good 30 mins and everywhere that parking was provided we were told that they won't let us in until 8.30/9am and that parking was for the general public. If we had horses we could have pretty much taken our pick were to park but what the hell is wrong with providing parking earlier for dog exhibitors?

We have had stuff knocked off at normal dog shows and didn't like our chances at the Royal by leaving everything unattended. One of us would have had to stay with the dogs and the other with the car until the gates opened - 2 hrs later if parking could not be found (we tried). Even the home owners were not out the front offering parking at that time in the morning, they know they can sleep in because they can charge what ever they want and people will pay to park in their yards when they are ready.

If dog exhibitors want to have better access to parking nice and early like the horse exhibitors the only what that would happen is if there were NO DOG ENTRIES for 2012.

I will never bother with a Royal again if they refuse to provide early parking.

Good luck to all those who are entered - the hardest part all day will be parking.

Edited by Andisa

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We usually park at the primary school across the road... that way the money goes to them not the Royal of Racecourse.... but i think last year they were on't just opening when we go there and that wasn't COD (crack of dawn).

The school was one of the places that knocked us back - the man there said the parking was for the general public only - not exhibitors and was not letting anyone in before 8.30/9am. While we drove around we saw several others being turned away too.

Forgot to add... that really sucks! I think the Melb is one of the worse around... i've been to Sydney which is really good for exhibitors.

Makes you question if they want dogs at the show then - the only way things will improve is if they never receive another dog entry until they provide early parking.

If exhibitors don't stick together on this it will never change.

Well this was supposed to be my first Royal Melbourne Show and I was really looking forward to it, so was Tracy. The clock was set for 4.30am (earlier for Tracy), everything ready and waiting for pickup and off we go all excited about our big day. We arrived at the gates nice and early by 6am and were back home again by 7.30am...

We could have done what others were doing - park in the drop off/pick up area. Unload dogs and equipment and move the car SOME WHERE and move it again later - and risk parking fines or towing. We started to unpack, found our benches but since we had no where to leave the car we decided "stuff it". Entries are not cheap - $30 entry fee per dog - is it too much to ask for to have the gates open before 8.30/9am - including the paid parking, they would not accept our $15 for parking before 8.30/9am.. We drove around for a good 30 mins and everywhere that parking was provided we were told that they won't let us in until 8.30/9am and that parking was for the general public. If we had horses we could have pretty much taken our pick were to park but what the hell is wrong with providing parking earlier for dog exhibitors?

We have had stuff knocked off at normal dog shows and didn't like our chances at the Royal by leaving everything unattended. One of us would have had to stay with the dogs and the other with the car until the gates opened - 2 hrs later if parking could not be found (we tried). Even the home owners were not out the front offering parking at that time in the morning, they know they can sleep in because they can charge what ever they want and people will pay to park in their yards when they are ready.

If dog exhibitors want to have better access to parking nice and early like the horse exhibitors the only what that would happen is if there were NO DOG ENTRIES for 2012.

I will never bother with a Royal again if they refuse to provide early parking.

Good luck to all those who are entered - the hardest part all day will be parking.

Trains aren't any better. I will be driving in later in the week but on Monday will be getting train to help friends and watch my breed judged. First train arrives at Showgrounds at 9.03, gates are advertised to open 9.30. Then I have to traipse across to the dog area Doesn't give much time if the breed starts at 10.00 I am awaiting a reply from Royal as to whether station staff will let me in before 9.30!!

Isn't the entrance for Flemington racecourse at Epsom road suppose to be open from 7 in the morning? $15 a day to park there.

I used to park at Flemington racecourse and walk back in through the horse area.

Has this option now gone ?.

All gates were closed when we were there - the only access was gate 7 for drop off/pick up.

Lets hope they get it right tomorrow because it sure stuffed up our day today.

Oh that sucks big time! :mad

Sorry to hear that you are both back home again early! Glad I checked here as I was going to call in about an hour and see how it went with the pugs.

One of the many reason I never do a Melbourne Royal, parking is near impossible and such a long day!

Stolz - you can imagine the conversation in the car back home ;) lets just say it has inspired us to write a complaint to let them know just what we think of the situation.

Wow I would be absolutely fuming! I'd probably just have parked in the drop off area and left a big note on the windscreen saying "No where else to park, will move it when the parking opens" or something like that. What a bad joke!

Wow I would be absolutely fuming! I'd probably just have parked in the drop off area and left a big note on the windscreen saying "No where else to park, will move it when the parking opens" or something like that. What a bad joke!

Well if you leave the car in the wrong spot you can expect a big fine or find the car gone - we were told they will be towed if left in the wrong place.

Who expects parking problems at 6am?

Andisa, this is just disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They obviously DON'T want dogs at the Royal. I have heard that from a relative horse judge who told me that they will move the Dog judging to say KCC Park just as they have moved the most of the Horse events to Werribee.

I would definitely be writing a letter of complaint and requesting a refund of monies.

This is one of the many reasons that I WON'T enter the Melbourne Royal

ummmmmmm park in the racecoarse they have a gate for the dog exibitiors and then you walk up

and that's exactly what we planned on doing - but the gates were closed. Perhaps we could have waited outside the gates but by this stage we had already tried everywhere that we were told to and could not be bothered with getting stuffed around any longer. I don't see why the horse exhibitors have lots of easy access while the dog exhibitors get nothing - you have 5 mins to unload and your car is at risk until the gates are opened hours later.

What is wrong with opening the gates early for exhibitors so they can get set up easily and out of the way for the next person.