Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

shepherds asked

Have just had 3 ft copperhead snake removed from front yard (thank you reptile rescue who came so promptly )

But I live in fear of another one arriving and one of the dogs getting bitten again (and it was about this time of the year 3 years ago - he survived but the ongoing health issues have been a battle).

We have removed everything and even the snake catcher lady said there is nothing more we can do with the yard and dog runs - except remove the dogs water. She also said the area we are in we are lucky as its normally only copperheads.

So Snake Catcher - a couple of questions (and apologies if they have already been asked) will snakes climb for water? If I put water down the boundary away from the runs and house - will it help keep them away from us or just encourage snakes cos they find a never ending supply of water???? And I read somewhere about the cloves mix?? How strong does it need to be and is there any proof that it works?

Thanks

Leaving water down the boundry will stop the thirsty snake from looking any further for water.Copperheads dont climb but will use their small heads to push through long grass, but tigersnake have a wide head and they prey on birds and their eggs, raiding nests by climbing and I have removed a few from trees and bushes.

A bag of cloves from the supermarket to 2 litres of water should do the trick.

Here is a little tger snake

post-32212-0-67027600-1320668329_thumb.jpg

Edited by snake catcher

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shepherds asked

Have just had 3 ft copperhead snake removed from front yard (thank you reptile rescue who came so promptly )

But I live in fear of another one arriving and one of the dogs getting bitten again (and it was about this time of the year 3 years ago - he survived but the ongoing health issues have been a battle).

We have removed everything and even the snake catcher lady said there is nothing more we can do with the yard and dog runs - except remove the dogs water. She also said the area we are in we are lucky as its normally only copperheads.

So Snake Catcher - a couple of questions (and apologies if they have already been asked) will snakes climb for water? If I put water down the boundary away from the runs and house - will it help keep them away from us or just encourage snakes cos they find a never ending supply of water???? And I read somewhere about the cloves mix?? How strong does it need to be and is there any proof that it works?

Thanks

Leaving water down the boundry will stop the thirsty snake from looking any further for water.Copperheads dont climb but will use their small heads to push through long grass, but tigersnake have a wide head and they prey on birds and their eggs, raiding nests by climbing and I have removed a few from trees and bushes.

A bag of cloves from the supermarket to 2 litres of water should do the trick.

Here is a little tger snake

post-32212-0-67027600-1320668329_thumb.jpg

Thanks Snake Catcher - and sorry to be so anal - but just want to make sure I do this right - Just a spmall bag of whole cloves how long do you boil it for and then you just spray it around areas in particular to protect (ie around dog runs) and spray every week or after rain?

Thank you!

Thanks Snake Catcher - and sorry to be so anal - but just want to make sure I do this right - Just a spmall bag of whole cloves how long do you boil it for and then you just spray it around areas in particular to protect (ie around dog runs) and spray every week or after rain?

Boil it for as long as you can,

a few hours,

topping up the water as the level drops,

then cool and strain and put it into a squirt bottle.

The water has to be black or at least very dark.

As its cooling you can add eucalyptus oil or teatree oil and dish washing detergent

(for more sticking power).

It needs to be resprayed every few days as the weather will disperse in.

Inside it will last langer.

The main reason we use this is to mask the smell of the rodent.

In tests here at my place we have proven it to be very effective in

turning a snake around.they dont like the cloves and the addition of the mentioned oils dosnt hurt either.

You can use 1 or 2 bags of cloves, the more the merrier i spose, just dont forget it needs replacing even with the detergent in it.

The use of the spray in conjunction with the clean up and removal of snake cover, common sense and a snake catcher phone number on speed dial should,

in theory, lessen your chances of having a bad snake day.

Edited by snake catcher

Sometimes when Im called to a snake that has already gone from the area,

I can tell where it is by looking at the birds.

When a snake is disturbed in a yard,

it may head to the nearest tree for cover in the leaf litter under it.

Birds see this and will start letting all the other bird know there is a snake there.

So, be aware of the different noises your backyard birds make and

when they seem alarmed there is usually a reason for it.

Boil it for as long as you can,

a few hours,

topping up the water as the level drops,

then cool and strain and put it into a squirt bottle.

The water has to be black or at least very dark.

As its cooling you can add eucalyptus oil or teatree oil and dish washing detergent

(for more sticking power).

It needs to be resprayed every few days as the weather will disperse in.

Inside it will last langer.

The main reason we use this is to mask the smell of the rodent.

In tests here at my place we have proven it to be very effective in

turning a snake around.they dont like the cloves and the addition of the mentioned oils dosnt hurt either.

You can use 1 or 2 bags of cloves, the more the merrier i spose, just dont forget it needs replacing even with the detergent in it.

The use of the spray in conjunction with the clean up and removal of snake cover, common sense and a snake catcher phone number on speed dial should,

in theory, lessen your chances of having a bad snake day.

:thumbsup: Thank you.....will be getting my witches cauldron out today and making a brew. I really do appreciate your efforts with ideas and suggestions in helping us dog owners keep our animals safe.

Am also rethinking the front yard - the house and dog yard is completely clear (at least half a meter clearance between ground and any trees/bushes that remain)- whilst out the front where the snake was found there are a couple of shrubs/bushes that sit very close to the ground. They are obviously going to go but aside from privacy reasons am reluctant to remove everything as I dont want any snake heading towards the house for cover and would obviously rather encourage them to head to trees/bushes away from the house - or does it not matter with a panicked/disturbed snake - they just bolt in any direction when disturbed?

Cheers

My aunt is on patrol at her place after seeing 2 tiger snakes in her house yard. Luckily both were caught and the hole they were getting through found. She thinks it's going to be a bad one for her this year - lots of rodents around because there's water in the lake behind her property. It's been dry for the last few years.

Anyone in WA around the wanneroo area look out - there have been a few snakes seen in the new housing estate and we saw one crossing the road between the estate and the lake side properties.

Ams said

I saw my first brown snake on my property this weekend. It was dead thankfully. The dogs had got it and it was tangled in some netting so not sure which occured first. Stupid kids of a friend were poking it. They got a lecture on what would have happened if it had still been alive and just sleeping.

A snake in netting is dangerous and will bite anything.

Hope the dogs are ok, but you gotta feel a bit bad for what the

slow, painful death the trapped snake must have gone though.

Stupid kids, lol.

One of my favourite sayings.

Here is a copperhead i released last week after finding it

getting some rays near a letterbox which belonged to a lady in Somers

post-32212-0-79557100-1320704015_thumb.jpg

Edited by snake catcher

I tried to get cloves and I think too many people may have read this a there was not one bag left!!!!

I am going out to buy some today OSoSwift I will grab some extras and am happy to post them to you if you like :)

Thanks Nic.B - Unfortunately I cant crate them during the day (too long in a crate. I have looked at what other Dolers have done with their dog runs but when the runs were built, the actual run/fencing part doesnt sit flush with the edge of the concrete pad (sits in on it) so I cant put shade cloth up the sides and run into down and dig it into the ground and I havent been able to figure out any other solution to that :confused:

Sounds like we have similar set up - we have about an acre of house/yard and dog run area and then two and half acres of paddocks. No dam though - my OH wants one but I've always said no thinking of it attracting snakes, but to be honest it hasnt seem to make any difference - we still get them (snakes). :(

My friend lives only a couple if minutes drive from here in the same area - they have a dam at the front of their house and have been there 3 years and not seen a snake yet..... go figure.....

Ams - sounds like your woofers had a lucky escape...

Maybe post some pics of your run, there are lots of Dolers who would be happy to help I am sure :)

Just had our Jack Russel bitten in central QLD. on a drip with paralysis and eyes not working properly. :( keep an eye out guys

I am so sorry Leithy, sending healing vibes for your little Jack. Hope he is home safely very soon.

Bummer, this morning I went to this callout.

Poor thing :(

A lot of people are saying it's going to be a 'bad' snake season this year thanks to the increased rodent activity. I've noticed around my place a huge increase in frogs.

Do you think we'll be seeing a lot more out and about or will the increased food supply keep them away?

Ams said

I saw my first brown snake on my property this weekend. It was dead thankfully. The dogs had got it and it was tangled in some netting so not sure which occured first. Stupid kids of a friend were poking it. They got a lecture on what would have happened if it had still been alive and just sleeping.

A snake in netting is dangerous and will bite anything.

Hope the dogs are ok, but you gotta feel a bit bad for what the

slow, painful death the trapped snake must have gone though.

Stupid kids, lol.

I was apologising to the poor thing as I was untangling it. I then made the kids pick up all the netting so it won't happen again. The netting was from an old kennel run that I'd kept chicks in and put the netting over the top to stop the birds of prey getting the chickens until they were big enough for the normal chook yard.

If water and food is in good supply then the snakes will be doing their thing and not bothering humans.

They cant resist the smell of rodents so if you have mice in your house,

there is always a small chance a snake is following the scent.

Ams, you did well to untangle the snake and tell off the kids and get rid of the netting.

Good on you.

I tried to get cloves and I think too many people may have read this a there was not one bag left!!!!

I am going out to buy some today OSoSwift I will grab some extras and am happy to post them to you if you like :)

Thank you for the offer, but I am sure they will have some soon :) going back into town today and will have a look

If water and food is in good supply then the snakes will be doing their thing and not bothering humans.

Then hopefully our RBBs will stick around the dams and drains with their frogs! Quite happy for them to enjoy themselves there :laugh: