Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you stay out of their way when they are high tailing it it is not too scary. Being in the pathway makes for some very fast dance moves that would leave Fred Astaire jealous!!!

Incidenatlly SC, have you had a brown snake really make a screaming sort of noise (think almost cat fight kinda noise)?? Around where I come from very large brown snakes are common and if they think they are trapped they arc up pretty quickly and make a weird screaming sort of sound. One friend had it happen when he opened the doors of a shed, wondered what the hell the noise was, saw a very arced up, large dugite heading straight for the open doors ( and him) and it made this sound until it got out and away.

I have never heard any do it, but then again I have never cornered any accidentally or otherwise!

That seems like a very calm copperhead. Except for a brief Steve Irwin moment in the middle of the video.

Most of the snakes I've seen are very keen to move - mostly somewhere else at high speed. Ie makes the idea of trying to catch one very scary.

Big copperheads that are tired like this one is are usually pretty placid.

This one had been stuck in a water treatment pond for a day and was

tired from swimming making it easier to handle

The full rescue can be seen here

I dont think i do Steve Erwin very well so i try to

stay away from all the theatricals and leave that to the seasoned performers.

Incidenatlly SC, have you had a brown snake really make a screaming sort of noise (think almost cat fight kinda noise)??

the bigger the snake the louder the hiss,any snake really.

I have heard big brown snakes make a lot of noise but they are usually seriously pi$$ed of to do this.

When they are up in the double s like in this pic they mean business.

post-32212-0-86522700-1319726389_thumb.jpg

Edited by snake catcher

I have tell you all about the women two doors up.

I couldnt work out why she had her radio on so loud all the time. Its because she thinks it keeps the snakes away.

We all back onto paddocks so we do get a RBB now and then, but haveing the races scream out at you all the weekend is a bit much.

Nearly every house here in town has a woodpile, due to the need for heat even in summer, so there are plenty of hideing places.

Edited by gillybob

Was out feeding the horses this morning when a lovely big matt black snake with a cream under belly (Copperhead)casually glided by in front of me taking refuge in a woodpile created after a tree had fallen by the dam. Hubby had chopped up the wood but left the pile sitting by the remainder of the tree.

Bet he wont be going near that woodpile now till July 2012!!

So best keep an eye on our inquisative canines!

Sorry, but since when is a copperhead black with a cream belly?

fsasfafd.jpg

Copperheads are often very dark,

almost black and the side scales can be cream or red and anything between.

They vary in colouration hugely.

That's the one, although I think 'ours' seemed to have a smaller head. Is that a sex (ie. differs in male and female) thing?

Also OH has cleaned up the woodpile LOL. He put on some Kevlar motor bike pants (he doesn't even have a bike!) some steelcap gumboots and cleaned up the whole area.

I'm going around the property saying "That looks a bit snakey"

"over there looks a bit snakey too". The place has never looked so tidy. :D

He maintains if it has to be here he wants to see it coming.

I told him about territory and snakes knowing the comings and goings of theirs and if he kills it more will move in and that's dangerous so he figures O'kay at least if it clear no one will be bitten by mistake!

Also OH has cleaned up the woodpile LOL. He put on some Kevlar motor bike pants (he doesn't even have a bike!) some steelcap gumboots and cleaned up the whole area.

I'm going around the property saying "That looks a bit snakey"

"over there looks a bit snakey too". The place has never looked so tidy. :D

Loving the descriptive term :laugh: I think I'll be using that one from now on.

Our first one for the season got spotted yesterday, large-ish RBB living up in the old woodpile. The one I've been tyring to get cleaned up for over a year. Reckon I can say I told you so now? ;)

I don't live "in fear" of them, I live in "awareness" of them. The family reports in what we've seen, where we saw it, the size and how it was behaving so we know to be more careful in those areas.

Have you ever been bitten SC?

I always watch your videos and cringe a little when you put them in the bag.

Ive been very lucky Bite Me, never had to go to hospital from a snake bite.

I told him about territory and snakes knowing the comings and goings of theirs and if he kills it more will move in and that's dangerous so he figures O'kay at least if it clear no one will be bitten by mistake!

Good on ya liz :thumbsup:

I don't live "in fear" of them, I live in "awareness" of them.

Im stealing that Wings,,

Redbellies are beautiful canibalistic snakes,

They are the least venomous of the larger comon snakes and their bite is regarded as less dangerous by experts.

Loves eating tigersnakes and brownsnakes.

Yesterday i was called to the Frankston freeway construction site to rescue this

poor copperhead that had been evicted from her home.

Watch this

Also yesterday, in Dandenong, another copperhead on a building site in an industrial area.

Click on here, lol>>

Edited by snake catcher

Redbellies are beautiful canibalistic snakes,

They are the least venomous of the larger comon snakes and their bite is regarded as less dangerous by experts. Loves eating tigersnakes and brownsnakes.

sure but tell that to your dogs if they get envenomated by one, SC. It's not a happy experience.

I do know the experience of the loss of a dog to a snake raz,

It happened to my Mandy when I was living in South Australia.

Every year i get called to at least one home where the dog has died after and

altercation with a snake.

I was just saying that the

red bellied black snake hasnt killed many humans

(I think only one)

compared to the brown snake which redbellies eat..

I cant believe I have to make another 150 odd posts before I can access off topic threads..Anyway i can speed up the process?

The snake eating itself is a baby American corn snake or something like that.

Anyway, a snake might start eating its tail if there is a scent of rodent on it or if sees its tail moving and just grabs.

Usually when a snake does this though it means it may have been dropped on its head a baby. :D

Snakes are not to smart to start with and Yank and European snake breeders are constantly line breeding to get better looking morphs for the pet industry.

I think line breeding or inbreeding makes a dumb animal even dumber sometimes.

I cant believe I have to make another 150 odd posts before I can access off topic threads..Anyway i can speed up the process?

The snake eating itself is a baby American corn snake or something like that.

Anyway, a snake might start eating its tail if there is a scent of rodent on it or if sees its tail moving and just grabs.

Usually when a snake does this though it means it may have been dropped on its head a baby. :D

Snakes are not to smart to start with and Yank and European snake breeders are constantly line breeding to get better looking morphs for the pet industry.

I think line breeding or inbreeding makes a dumb animal even dumber sometimes.

It's not just the Europeans and Americans doing it.... there are a number of popular 'morphs' here in Australia which commonly display neurological conditions due to 'selective' breeding for colour etc.