Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

I'm so sorry for your loss Memphis. RIP Tallan :rainbowbridge:

Well, we had one of our old boys, Cooper, in ICU last night. I don't know how the hell it happened but a tiger snake got into our dog shed/runs and Cooper had it. We have done everything possible to protect our kids and I feel so defeated.

Luckily we caught it early and my husband rushed him to the emergency vet, which is 20 minutes away speeding, while I stayed and watched the other 10 boys for any signs. I just can't believe that we have to go through this again (4th time in less than 2 years) but thankfully, Cooper is made of strong stuff and is on his way to recovery.

You do everything possible to protect your guys. They are our and about early this year.

We never walk in the bush, but I spoke to a guy on Saturday morning when we were walking, and he had seen a snake. I don't know why people walk their dogs through the bush. Snakes, ticks,and 1080 baits. :eek:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for your loss Memphis. RIP Tallan :rainbowbridge:

Well, we had one of our old boys, Cooper, in ICU last night. I don't know how the hell it happened but a tiger snake got into our dog shed/runs and Cooper had it. We have done everything possible to protect our kids and I feel so defeated.

Luckily we caught it early and my husband rushed him to the emergency vet, which is 20 minutes away speeding, while I stayed and watched the other 10 boys for any signs. I just can't believe that we have to go through this again (4th time in less than 2 years) but thankfully, Cooper is made of strong stuff and is on his way to recovery.

Hi Idigadog

Thinking of you and wishing your boy a full recovery. I can fully relate to your comment amount feeling so defeated, four times in two years is way too many and must be heartbreaking. :(

I nearly lost my young dog two years ago and since then we have removed all snake cover areas, the block is completely clear and yet the snakes still continue to venture into our yard. Every time we see one, we step it up another notch in terms of prevention and clearing the area further out from the house. Unfortunately we cant do anything about our neighbour's blocks either side which are just pure snake havens.

After having removed yet another one from the front yard last week, am now about to fully enclose the dog runs with another fence of snake meshing, I have spent the weekend brewing up the clove mix suggested by Snake Catcher and have also put water down the boundary fencing to try and keep them from coming into our block.

Hopefully that will assist, but outside of moving to NZ or into the middle of the city, Im not sure what else we can do. It has almost become an obsession, keeping the dogs safe. But hearing the stories of people who lose their pets and almost nearly losing our boy and then dealing with the long term health issues he has suffered with since its very hard not to be paranoid about snakes and the dogs safety.

Its going to be a long tough summer methinks.

I fully understand feeling defeated.

I had the same issue, 10 years and then I found a snake up in the roof of the dog runs......so I snake meshed to the roof, got the explanding foam out and attatched shade cloth around the bottom to stop the tiny baby snakes that may fit through the mesh as well. It is such a small area that I don't want them to go into and I make an effort to have no wood or junk piles anywhere and to have everywhere mowed and still we see them.

I have told my husband if a snake gets in the dog yard after all the extra measures, I am moving to New Zealand.

I am just truly over it. And I think the thing that gets me the most is that every other dog on properties around here just wander willy nilly and nothing ever happens to them. It's almost like we've been those over-protective parents who wrap their kids in cotton wool and the crap always happens to them. Those kids who are neglected and left to their own devices always seem to survive without harm.

I know that's an awful way to feel and I don't wish harm on anyone's dog, but I'm really at my wits end now. Imagine if all 11 of my dogs were bitten this summer - that's $27,500.00 worth of vet bills at the emergency clinic. Yep, that's right :eek: The emergency vet in Canberra charges $2,500.00 up front and last nights vial of antivenin cost $1,400.00 (double what our regular vet charges).

We have already spent around $40,000.00 in fencing. What do we do now?

Edited to say that it wouldn't matter what the cost was, we'd pay anything to save our dogs lives. But what about those that don't have that sort of money, especially up front? It must be heartbreaking.

Edited by idigadog

I am just truly over it. And I think the thing that gets me the most is that every other dog on properties around here just wander willy nilly and nothing ever happens to them. It's almost like we've been those over-protective parents who wrap their kids in cotton wool and the crap always happens to them. Those kids who are neglected and left to their own devices always seem to survive without harm.

I know that's an awful way to feel and I don't wish harm on anyone's dog, but I'm really at my wits end now. Imagine if all 11 of my dogs were bitten this summer - that's $27,500.00 worth of vet bills at the emergency clinic. Yep, that's right :eek: The emergency vet in Canberra charges $2,500.00 up front and last nights vial of antivenin cost $1,400.00 (double what our regular vet charges).

We have already spent around $40,000.00 in fencing. What do we do now?

Edited to say that it wouldn't matter what the cost was, we'd pay anything to save our dogs lives. But what about those that don't have that sort of money, especially up front? It must be heartbreaking.

Could have written that myself.........I have just come back from one of my neighbours explaining what I have done with water down the boundary. I was watching her two little dogs bouncing around in the woodpile, piles of bricks scrap metal and knee high grass :eek: and all the while thinking hmmmmmm whilst looking back at our place which looks like its been napalmed.

I have no complaints about my vet at all (two vials was $1200) ...but unfortunately I think some vets take advantage when you dont have a choice and at your most vulnerable. Its either pay up or the dog dies and alot of people just cant afford that type of money.... Im very grateful I dont need to be thinking about whether I can afford it or not...it might mean a dent in the credit card...but whatever it takes is whatever it takes...but to have the added financial stress while watching a beloved pet suffer from the effects of a snake bite would be just awful.

Can I ask what type of fencing do you have and how is it put up?

Idiagadog has awsome fencing. Photos have been put up before. It must be totally crushing to put as much effort time and money in as you have and still have a snake get in.

Well thats just soul destroying then. Have you had any issues since you did yours?

I haven't as yet, only did the yard part this year and so far we haven't seen a huge amount of snakes (last year was our worst in 11 years) so thus far yes it is working, but I am still biding my time as I am sure when it is warmer more consistantly there will be more of them out and about.

Well fingers and everything else crossed it continues to work for you. Your runs and the extra yard bit is lovely and I just hope your lot appreciate all the hard work that has gone into them. :D I guess thats one advantage of Tas, we are still getting colder nights (so I can let the dogs have a really good run very early am without stressing at all) and sometimes we can get four seasons in one day...even in the middle of summer, so on occasion we get some relief.

Our running yards have cyclone fencing which has the thickest grade shade cloth on the outside of it going the whole 6 foot height. The fencing and shade cloth are buried a foot into the ground. Gaps have been filled with either mouse mesh or that expandable stuff in a can. Every door going into the dog shed has mesh under it and all the gaps between the shed and the slab have been filled in with either blue metal or the expandable stuff.

The colorbond fencing that runs around the night yard and our house yard has been back filled (which is a big no-no apparently :( ) and the gaps between the gates also have mesh over them.

I mow the grass around the running yards to within an inch of it's life and our paddocks are clear of debris etc. Our dam is at the opposite end of our property but our neighbours dam is closer and both have water in them so it's not like the snakes are desperate for a drink and have to get into our shed.

I'm just stuffed as to what to do next? Frustrated, defeated, pissed off, the list goes on!

Idiagadog has awsome fencing. Photos have been put up before. It must be totally crushing to put as much effort time and money in as you have and still have a snake get in.

I'm just so upset. I really thought we had done everything right. When we lost Drifter last year and had Rookie and Sully bitten, we upped the anti big time. I walk the dog yards before letting them out, we constantly check the outside of the fencing, our dogs are not allowed to roam and chase any of the local fauna yet we are still not winning. When this happened to Cooper on the weekend I just lost it. I really feel like I have let the boys down and no matter what I do, I will never be able to protect them.

I'm so sorry for your loss Memphis. RIP Tallan and good luck to you and yours Idiagadog.

I dont know what to say, and I cant find a sad enough emoticon to show how Im feeling .

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Summer.

Thanks SC. Cooper is lying here beside me and is recovering remarkably well. We were lucky I guess that we caught it so quickly and he hadn't even gotten to the wobbly leg stage by the time we got him to the vet. He's a tough old buggar and the most awesome dog. I just hope he forgives me :(

Our running yards have cyclone fencing which has the thickest grade shade cloth on the outside of it going the whole 6 foot height. The fencing and shade cloth are buried a foot into the ground. Gaps have been filled with either mouse mesh or that expandable stuff in a can. Every door going into the dog shed has mesh under it and all the gaps between the shed and the slab have been filled in with either blue metal or the expandable stuff.

The colorbond fencing that runs around the night yard and our house yard has been back filled (which is a big no-no apparently :( ) and the gaps between the gates also have mesh over them.

I mow the grass around the running yards to within an inch of it's life and our paddocks are clear of debris etc. Our dam is at the opposite end of our property but our neighbours dam is closer and both have water in them so it's not like the snakes are desperate for a drink and have to get into our shed.

I'm just stuffed as to what to do next? Frustrated, defeated, pissed off, the list goes on!

I'm just so upset. I really thought we had done everything right. When we lost Drifter last year and had Rookie and Sully bitten, we upped the anti big time. I walk the dog yards before letting them out, we constantly check the outside of the fencing, our dogs are not allowed to roam and chase any of the local fauna yet we are still not winning. When this happened to Cooper on the weekend I just lost it. I really feel like I have let the boys down and no matter what I do, I will never be able to protect them.

I'm so sorry for your loss Memphis. RIP Tallan and good luck to you and yours Idiagadog.

I dont know what to say, and I cant find a sad enough emoticon to show how Im feeling .

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Summer.

Thanks SC. Cooper is lying here beside me and is recovering remarkably well. We were lucky I guess that we caught it so quickly and he hadn't even gotten to the wobbly leg stage by the time we got him to the vet. He's a tough old buggar and the most awesome dog. I just hope he forgives me :(

Thats just gutwrenching Idigadog. Words are just completely inadequate given everything that you've done and I have nothing to offer, except I understand your pain and frustration and it just must be doing your head in. :( Very good to hear Cooper is recovering well

You're probably right there :)

I just found a PDF with a list of ingredients it contains. No wonder they say it smells so bad!

Active Ingredients: Mint Oil, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Thyme Oil White, Garlic Oil, Putrescent Egg Solids

Other Ingredients: Water