Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

Snake catcher would snakes be more active at night or during the day?

Hi Teela

Diurnal, or daytime snakes will come out after a hot day and soak up the warmth from the

bitumen or sandy roads.

Tigersnakes in particular can be both diurnal and nocturnal as the

natural prey of the adult tiger snake is young birds and bird eggs.

At night they can climb a small tree or shrub and raid birds nests.

I have removed many tigersnakes from these situations

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They dont like it and can't smell the rodents when its applied.

The fact that it interferes with the sense of smell is enough to turn it around

as this one of their main senses.,.

If you squirt the snake directly it will get pissed off and confused and

this will make it unpredictable,

but, it will surely not return and will not have any permenant damage.

Neighbour's mini foxy died the other day from brown snake.Everything is nicely mowed down everywhere, except the farm across the road.Once when I was a teenager was walking to the hay shed to grab some hay to feed horses.Met a brown sunbathing on one bottom hay bale and I sped up the top of the hay stack...was stuck there untill someone came out looking for me.Numerous other run ins.

I have met lots of Tiger snakes on my walks up here.

Its interesting about them climbing, I have been told by many people they dont climb, but, I used to see one climb up my choko on the fence, to get to my pond on the other side.

You can get your animals used to snakes, my dog Bob shared our yard with three RBB a Brown now and then and Tigers all the time.

He never got bitten.

But I have seen him jump straight up in the air!!

I used to run into Tigers everyday, I always had the impression they were pretty layed back, not interested in useing venom on me or my dog.

Is it true that most snake bites are 'dry' or no venom used Snakecatcher.

I was bitten one early evening when I was getting lettuce in my garden, I didnt see the snake, just felt something hit my thumb.I notice the holes after my shower when I was in bed.

Woke up the next day with funny eyesight, feeling a bit strange, that lasted a day or so then I was ok.I did go to the hospital.

They were very large holes wide apart.

I still have the scars on my thumb.

Edited by gillybob

The head, is watching and aware and still scared while you put its body in the rubbish bin.

Because reptiles are built differently to mammals, the severed head will stay alive, seeing, and sensing with its tongue for up to 15 minutes.

The only humane way to kill any animal, is by massive brain trauma.

If you cut off a snakes head, crush the head with a rock and end its misery quickly.

What's the evolutionary requirement for that, SC? I mean it's not like it's a life saving device.

@ Gillybob, you might have been lucky to recieve a dry bite.

This happens when an adult snake is not scared of being eaten and is just letting you know to back off.

The older snakes like to hold their venom for the prey because they bite, let go, and then track the dying mouse, frog whatever till it drops.

Tigersnakes often do this and that is why is good to have a big resident snakes that knows the property and the animals that live there.

The big old tiger will not let any smaller snakes into its territory and will eat 100s of mice over one Summer

To a juvenile tigersnake, everything is a scary threat and they tend to give you their venom when they bite.

Juvenile snakes bite their prey and hold on till it dies and dont usually hunt it down like the adults.

You were lucky but it is not uncommon to recieve dry bites from tigersnakes, copperheads, blacksnakes and even brownsnakes.

Rare in taipans

You were lucky but it is not uncommon to recieve dry bites from tigersnakes, copperheads, blacksnakes and even brownsnakes.

Rare in taipans

Well I guess that is a good thing, that is if getting a dry bite from a snake doesn't give me a heart attack at the time!!!

It also makes me thankful we don't have Taipans!!

A lady just over the road got a dry bite from a VERY large Dugite. She didn't feel off at all. Thank goodness they do do that

I live on 40 acres so you can imagine I've accepted snakes as part of life.

We have a stunning large red belly that lives in our bottom paddocks, I've only seen glimpses of him but others have seen him sunning himself. I refuse to kill him and have told anyone who tries to go for him that they will not be forgiven. I've been grazing those paddocks on and off since I moved here and he doesn't seem to have any murderous intent on my horses ;) .

As others have said while he lives there I'm unlikely to have problems with other snakes!

Rare in taipans

Well I guess that is a good thing, that is if getting a dry bite from a snake doesn't give me a heart attack at the time!!!

A lady just over the road got a dry bite from a VERY large Dugite. She didn't feel off at all. Thank goodness they do do that

Gosh you were very lucky :eek:

Last year we had a 2 metre RBB in our yard. It was my fault as our kelpie Bella realised I was going out and also that I wanted her to go inside (but she has work to do) so hid under the water tank.

As I was only just going up the road and already had a dog and toddler in the car I just left her, which I normally dont do.

No sooner than backing the car out I saw the snake going across the yard and then Bella cracked it a couple of times on it's backend. By the time I put the car into park, pulled the handbrake on and screamed at my daughter and dog to stay put Bella was face to face with it. It struck out at her three times as I was running over to them. I knew it hit her as she shook her head after each srtike.

Rushed her to the vets, no visable marks, no signs off invenimation though I kept her there till 10pm just in case. Bella was fine? I had to keep her crated and rested for a few days, but no signs of being bitten at all.

At the time all I cared about was my dog and getting her to the vet. I realise now that the snake was doing it's best not to hurt her and just wanted to get away from us.

As I said, my fault. I dont care what happens all dogs will be away and inside if I have to leave the house.

Rare in taipans

Gosh you were very lucky :eek:

Last year we had a 2 metre RBB in our yard. It was my fault as our kelpie Bella realised I was going out and also that I wanted her to go inside (but she has work to do) so hid under the water tank.

As I was only just going up the road and already had a dog and toddler in the car I just left her, which I normally dont do.

No sooner than backing the car out I saw the snake going across the yard and then Bella cracked it a couple of times on it's backend. By the time I put the car into park, pulled the handbrake on and screamed at my daughter and dog to stay put Bella was face to face with it. It struck out at her three times as I was running over to them. I knew it hit her as she shook her head after each srtike.

Rushed her to the vets, no visable marks, no signs off invenimation though I kept her there till 10pm just in case. Bella was fine? I had to keep her crated and rested for a few days, but no signs of being bitten at all.

At the time all I cared about was my dog and getting her to the vet. I realise now that the snake was doing it's best not to hurt her and just wanted to get away from us.

As I said, my fault. I dont care what happens all dogs will be away and inside if I have to leave the house.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Snake Catcher

Do you think substituting oil of cloves for the boil up recipe would work?

Shannon Lush has a recipe very similar to that for making your own oil of cloves - but you need to use a bit more of the home recipe than the bought stuff.

Her recipe for using the shop bought oil of cloves is

one quarter teaspoon (tiny amount) per litre of water and spraying that to kill mould and mildew. I imagine a similar rate or maybe slightly higher concentration would work as snake deterrent?

Not much higher - because that has side effects you really don't want in your house - oil of cloves is powerful (stinky) stuff.

whole cloves the spice you put in the corn beef or ground up for cakes and biscuits etc.

Ie so two bags of that in the boiling mix.

Or (still checking this) buy some oil of cloves from the chemist and try a quarter teaspoon of that in a litre of water.

If it doesn't deter snakes - it will kill mould and mildew. So good for shower alcolves and windows that collect condensation, and occasionally for the wash cycle and for making frou frous (not sure spelling) to keep shoes and feet fresh smelling...