Things To Think About In Stud Agreement

Trisven13

Trisven - it seems like you have the right idea to get things in writing. At the end of the day, if the writing is something that you both agree to, then good. :thumbsup:

Your list is more extensive than mine, and I actually haven't had a written agreement regarding stud use - only verbal. I guess I'm a bit risky. There are some people I'd certainly have a written agreement with... !

Sorry to go OT, but is it common practise to restrict registration of puppies when allowing someone to use your stud dog? I've come across it in a different breed, where the only pup on main could be the one the bitch owner kept. This is just unheard of in the GSD world. (Yes i know I have WSS, but there are not many of us yet for weird things to creep in LOL)

Don't you go getting any idea's woman!

tongue.gif

I'm using a stud and the 2 pups on main only is one of the stud owner's conditions. I'm negotiating that a final decision will be made at 8 weeks in case it is a spectacular litter but she is adamant on that as a base condition. It is the only stud available so my hands are obviously tied. She is wanting (quite rightly) to avoid the show scene being flooded with dogs of average quality.

what rebanne said:

I would want the option written in for more then 2 puppies to go on main register if both parties agree and I would want to know what happens if there are only pet quality pups in the litter. Would you be allowed to main register the best female of the lot to breed from? It is a rare breed and while there may not be a show quality pup available there very well may be a pup suitable to continue the line.

Working with dogs that have rare gene pools I'd actually forget the show scene and focus what the breed needs instead.

A better option is to go your own way and import semen or a dog. You will also learn more about the breed as you will observe for yourself different traits and physical manifestations.

I dont know anything about fauves or what they do, except that they are a brown colour and close to the ground :) But I do know that in rare breeds there is both positive and negative outcomes in esotericism, and generally it is better for the breed if breeders branch out on their own.

Edited by lilli