"gentle Paws Cordless Nail Trimmer"

Poppy's mum

Anyone used one of these? Not sure how you keep a reluctant dog's foot in place? (without ripping out a nail)

Oster Gentle Paws Cordless Nail Clipper Trimmer Dog Cat

Item Model Number: 78129-600

Product Description

Oster Gentle Paws Cordless Nail Trimmer leaves smooth rounded nails that protect furniture and floors from scratches. A rotating head gently files your pet's nails quickly, easily and pain free. The safety guard holds the nail in place and prevents accidental hair winding. It has two speeds for all breeds of dogs and cats.

Product Features

Trim your pet's nails quickly and gently with no stress involved

Up to 5 times faster than the competition with 2 adjustable speeds

Ideal for dogs and cats of all breeds

Safety guard holds nail firmly in place

Includes coarse stone, fine band, and 2 coarse bands

hi :)

that sounds and looks like a great product! and at a great price too!!! don't be fooled tho that the safety guard will hold the nail in place --- it won't, because the dog's toe is not rigid...

i wanted to go the cheap route and so i got a pedi paws [w/12 extra grinding rings] for $11 plus postage --- i did that cuz if my dogs didn't take to it, i'd have not blown too much cash on it...

get your dog used to having its feet handled --- i don't know what it'd be like with a bigger breed because i have 2 swfs [up to 8kg each] and i don't think you'd have much success using it on cats! trimming kitty's nails

anyway, i got my 2 dogs used to it by laying it beside them, treat, turning it on, treat, stroking them, treat and so on and on and on, and then came the day and it worked sooooo well that i'm glad that i no longer have to worry about the effects that nail clipping has on my dogs :)

i put one of their cushions on the table, had them drop and rolled onto their side on the cushion which made it comfy for them and which gave me free access to their feet [with a pile of yummy treats near their nose]...

it takes a bit of getting used to for the operator by virtue of the fact that the toes aren't rigid and so you need to hold each toe quite deftly while you grind --- there's a bit of a smell too but it's not so unpleasant :)

be careful too that the fur on the dog's feet isn't too long so as to get wrapped around the grinder...

two things about the pedi paws tho is that the grinder is quite large [about the size of a .20c piece] and it takes two 9volt batteries...

i hope i've helped and i wish you good luck :)

someone didn't like the oster...

http://www.epinions.com/review/Oster_Gentle_Paws_Cordless_Nail_Trimmer_78129320/content_495297269380

A long time ago, there was something called a plaster cutter - for cutting plaster off human limbs. It oscilates instead of spinning and doesn't cut flesh, only rigid things.

I've recently seen a late night telemarketing for an oscillating sander cutter thingy that operates the same way. But it doesn't seem to have a finger sander tool, just a relatively huge triangluar flat sander. So not sure that the telemarketing product is suitable. Did notice some similar non-telemarketing product in the regular hardware tool shops.

Meanwhile I have an extremely cheap dremmel copy I've yet to try out. May end up with a dremmel or wait and see if an oscillating hand held with a finger sander comes out - because it doesn't spin in circles but goes backwards and forwards (a bit like the best electric tooth brushes), it probably wouldn't be a tangle hazard for long furry paws.

I have a cordless dremmel. It's good for Kivi, even though his hair makes it difficult. Not so good for Erik, who is oddly fine with having his nails cut, but doesn't trust the noise and vibration from the dremmel. I made a few half-hearted attempts to counter-condition him to it, but it wasn't nearly as quick and easy as it normally is and his nails don't often need trimming because he runs around so much. He's very interested in the dremmel, but just won't stand for it on his nails. So I cut his and dremel Kivi's. I used to dremmel my rabbit's nails and it worked very well on her. Better than cutting, which leaves a sharp edge. She was totally at ease with it and I didn't need to get her used to it.

Get a dremel and some stockings, put the dogs foot in the stocking and the nails poking through it hds the hair out the way and you can dremel away.

brilliant!

This works great as I have fluffy feet Hobbits...err Cavaliers!!

However I did get an ear caught (long, long feathery ones!)up in my dremmel when my girl turned her head suddenly! :eek: Fortunately the Dremmel shut down IMMEDIATELY so it was no harm done and easy to untangle. But it sure scared me! Now I make sure she's got her snood on too.

ps. I had bought the cheaper nail grinder with the guard but it's not as powerful as the dremel so it was only really a buffer after trimming with the nail clippers.

I bought a small cordless DREMMEL when it ws on Sale an it is ace! :)

I've used the 'Pedipaws nail trimmers' with great sucess with my dogs.

It can't harm them and I just take it slow and try not to do too much in the one session. Here is a link to how they work. The only problem that I had was with one of the dogs that has one funny little claw (dew claw?) I don't know if there are better brands around.

http://www.globalshop.com.au/Product/68/22/PediPaws-Ultimate-Kit

Cheers

I have used the low end version of the pedi paws too, Two of the whippets are fine with it, Ella even goes to sleep, but it takes a long time. Cordless dremel sounds much better

Edited by snippet