Wouldn't This Be Great

Kirislin

I saw some pics from the US, on a photography forum, of dogs in a public swimming pool.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1097596 The writer said at the end of the season they let dogs swim there and I thought what a brilliant idea. Once the pool is closed to people, wouldn't it be fun to let your dogs swim there. Every off season here our pools eventually get filthy and ducks live on them so no reason why dogs couldn't use them for a while before they get completely gross.

:rofl::thumbsup:

Great idea!!

Mine LOVE the pool and go in every day..well, the viz is a bit more fussy than the spin as she gets cold.. :laugh: The spin would swim in ice! Both have at least an hour per day in the pool and will miss it when we don't have one. The word SWIM gets much more of an excited reaction than WALK...Last Christmas we had dogs, kids, adults...all playing in the pool :laugh:

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

goldiesinpool.jpg

these 2 are our goldies in the 70's..

colonelinpool.jpg

I was just discussing a similar thing this morning with my workmate :laugh:

I was complaining about my sore shins from jogging with the dogs on pavement, and we thought there'd be a market for human-dog gyms, with altenating treadmills and other equipment so the dogs could jog while the humans do crosstraining or steppers or whatever.

Plus a big turfed undercover area for fetch when it's raining, and either a human-dog shared pool or side-by-side dog and human pools (although supervision might be an issue in the latter set-up). The liability insurance would probably be astronomical though :(

Oh well, a girl can dream.

:rofl::thumbsup:

Great idea!!

Mine LOVE the pool and go in every day..well, the viz is a bit more fussy than the spin as she gets cold.. :laugh: The spin would swim in ice! Both have at least an hour per day in the pool and will miss it when we don't have one. The word SWIM gets much more of an excited reaction than WALK...Last Christmas we had dogs, kids, adults...all playing in the pool :laugh:

IMG_4667.jpg

Girl to boy ratio in that pool is way off, :p

....What all the guys were thinking it :rasberry:

Back on topic, the bool things a great idea...

Edited by Ali

My friend lives in Wichita, Kansas and they do the same there. They call it ''Dog Days Of Summer''. I don't know about other events, but at the Wichita one my friend goes to they drain out the normal pool water and re-fill it with non-chlorinated before letting the dogs in. The event raises money for the Humane Society.

Ironic thing is, my friend, has not only got her own (unused) swimming pool, but she also has a nice dam on her property for her dogs :)

Another link

Edited by Brennan's Mum

There's a place on the river around here that is a massive sand bank at low tide and entirely submerged at high tide. Some of the locals take their dogs down there in the summer at high tide and just swim around with them for an hour. My wussy Nordic breeds are not that comfortable in the water. It's very clean there because it's close to the ocean. May as well be a giant dog swimming pool.

Moving from WA to Vic was a huge change for us we moved away from the ocean. In Perth we had a pool and lived about 2k away from a dog beach so we had a lot of water fun. Coming to vic we didn't get to the beach, the local parks were all lead-on and our poor babies never really had much of a swim. I think it would be a fantastic idea to incorporate, and it would increase the amount of people using the pools in off season - we nearly lost 3 of our pools a while ago due to lack of public funding - meaning pools saty "afloat" :rofl::thumbsup:

Speaking with a fellow dog walker in my usual dog walking haunt the other day and she mentioned that there is actually a dog pool in Doveton, which is in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and only 10 minutes from my house. I am going to check it out some time soon, as all the creeks and waterholes on my usual walk are all drying up quickly, so my GSP is missing her swimming.

Although, today, I took both my GSP and my Vizsla out and the torrential rain over the last 24hrs has caused them all to fill up overnight. Ozkar took a full on run off the bridge across one waterhole and straight into the water. I have never seen him do this before, so i was excited to watch him. He took off legs extended and landed in deep water and paddled to the shallows, then leap frogged his way out like A Vizsla does in long grass. Very cute.

If I find this place in doveton, I will post up some info for others. Although, it's more than likely there is a thread in here somewhere already. :)

Speaking with a fellow dog walker in my usual dog walking haunt the other day and she mentioned that there is actually a dog pool in Doveton, which is in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and only 10 minutes from my house. I am going to check it out some time soon, as all the creeks and waterholes on my usual walk are all drying up quickly, so my GSP is missing her swimming.

Although, today, I took both my GSP and my Vizsla out and the torrential rain over the last 24hrs has caused them all to fill up overnight. Ozkar took a full on run off the bridge across one waterhole and straight into the water. I have never seen him do this before, so i was excited to watch him. He took off legs extended and landed in deep water and paddled to the shallows, then leap frogged his way out like A Vizsla does in long grass. Very cute.

If I find this place in doveton, I will post up some info for others. Although, it's more than likely there is a thread in here somewhere already. :)

I've been there, it's called Dogs in Motion and it's really good. I used to take Puck there when he was a puppy in the hope of developing his deformed leg. It didn't really work but he's the best and fastest swimmer I've ever seen. He used to lap the labradors easily :laugh: .