Collar Solutions For A Headstrong Bull Terrier

diesie821

People are suggesting a prong collar without the qualifier of consulting a professional or whitout even knowing what the OP has used? Pring collards have their place, but I've never heard any trainer saying they're the FIRST point of call.

To the OP - I say go the training route, it seems to be what the bully people are suggesting too.

Very wise advice. As a bully person who has handled a lot of dogs with both good and bad behaviour patterns, I have never used a prong collar or had to "jerk" any other type of choker, and it's not because my dogs are perfect - some of them have been absolute demons.

It takes training and perserverence with training - very few bull terriers are naturally going to do what you want.

You have a choice, you can use a prong, jerk a choker, etc and have a dog who's obedient because it's afraid of you, or you can train and be positive and have a dog who's obedient because it finds a pleasurable result from doing it.

You have a choice, you can use a prong, jerk a choker, etc and have a dog who's obedient because it's afraid of you

That is not the point of either of those pieces of equipment. No training through fear is good training.

Stay away from haltis and harnesses, IMHO they should be banned for most dogs and people, i have seen so many people with them and their dogs pulling them all over the place !!!

I always recommend the check/choker BUT it must be used correctly and the correct size/weight for the dog and find an excellent obedience club to teach you to teach your dog. Prong collars are banned here in SA I have used them in the past before i became a SACA member and are an excellent (although horrible) looking device, they are much kinder to the dog and much easier to use.

Bull Terriers are an extrememly stong and stubborn breed and if you are having problems at 8 months old wait till he hits 18 months !!!!

I use check chains from 12 weeks of age with my babies , before then i only use a soft slip lead.

You just cant go past a good trainer/club who actualy knows what they are doing and can show you most of all, put the hard work in now and you will be greatly rewarded

Cheers

I also use the sensible harness in high distraction environments, but in conjunction with patience & consistency (read Jane Killion's book). Regardless of what 'tool' you use, there is no quick fix. Simple rule, no moving forward while there's pulling. I've had 15 minute walks take an hour and a half, but there was less stopping each time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You have a choice, you can use a prong, jerk a choker, etc and have a dog who's obedient because it's afraid of you

That is not the point of either of those pieces of equipment. No training through fear is good training.

I know it's not the point Nek, but this is frequently how they are used. I use a check chain myself but not to instill fear in the dog.....

Stay away from haltis and harnesses, IMHO they should be banned for most dogs and people, i have seen so many people with them and their dogs pulling them all over the place !!!

I always recommend the check/choker BUT it must be used correctly and the correct size/weight for the dog and find an excellent obedience club to teach you to teach your dog. Prong collars are banned here in SA I have used them in the past before i became a SACA member and are an excellent (although horrible) looking device, they are much kinder to the dog and much easier to use.

Bull Terriers are an extrememly stong and stubborn breed and if you are having problems at 8 months old wait till he hits 18 months !!!!

I use check chains from 12 weeks of age with my babies , before then i only use a soft slip lead.

You just cant go past a good trainer/club who actualy knows what they are doing and can show you most of all, put the hard work in now and you will be greatly rewarded

Cheers

Prong collars may be banned from use at SACA / ANKC club grounds and club related events, but they are certainly NOT banned in SA.

SecretKei - Just to clarify SACA (DogsSA) members are also banned from using prong collars at any other time not just at ANKC club grounds and club related events. Not say i agree I have any particular view on there use but that is the situation in SA. So as long as you don't belong to DogsSA then there is no problem as there use is not "banned" outright in SA.

Edited by ness