Recommendations For Digital Slr

Lisey

Hi,

I'm wanting to buy my first digital SLR camera and am after some recommendations. I will mainly be using it to photograph my dogs so I need something that can will capture a sharp picture of them when they are on the move. My current camera is a Panasonic Lumix from a couple of years ago and just doesn't cut it anymore.

I am wanting to spend between $1000 - $1200. I really don't know much about them at all.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Lisey :)

ETA - I can't spell!

Edited by Lisey

Have a quick look through the threads here as there have been several recent threads that have a lot of answers to your question and inside you'll also find links to help you shop.

I'd probably be leaning towards one of the entry level dslrs by Canon (they are xxxD series) myself. Nikon is also a popular choice but make sure you know if you need to buy lenses with the motors in the lenses or not, a

DOLer got caught out a bit on that with her Nikon if I remember rightly (you do not need to think about this for Canon as all of their lenses will work just fine with the xxxD series cameras).

Happy shopping!

Have a quick look through the threads here as there have been several recent threads that have a lot of answers to your question and inside you'll also find links to help you shop.

I'd probably be leaning towards one of the entry level dslrs by Canon (they are xxxD series) myself. Nikon is also a popular choice but make sure you know if you need to buy lenses with the motors in the lenses or not, a

DOLer got caught out a bit on that with her Nikon if I remember rightly (you do not need to think about this for Canon as all of their lenses will work just fine with the xxxD series cameras).

Happy shopping!

ok thank you! will do.

Even if you want to buy online, go into a store and see how the camera feels in your hands. I know when I first looked at SLRs (my first was a canon 450D, though they're up to the 600D now), I didn't like the way the equivalent nikon camera felt in my hands so I chose a canon. As far as quality goes, canon and nikon are much of a muchness, though like kja said, nikon has certain lenses that won't autofocus with certain cameras. I'm sure someone from team nikon will be able to help you and show you which lenses can be used with which cameras though so you shouldn't have too much of a problem.... but all the cool kids use canons.... just sayin' :laugh:

OK - thanks! I think I'm leaning towards a Canon...

Is it the 'Shutter speed' that I look at to determine if it will capture moving objects sharply? or something else? Not really up with all the technical terms....

Ok another question - I am currently shooting with an Olympus E-30. I am at the point where I want to make an investment in my photography with a new lens. However I question if it is sensible to carry on with Olympus because they seem to be producing cameras mainly in thier PEN range and not in the 4/3rds range.

My requirements are fast auto focus as I HATE looking at out of focus pictures I have taken and not too pricey (I am looking to spend $800-$1000 on a new lens, for a new lens and body my max is $1500)

OK - thanks! I think I'm leaning towards a Canon...

Is it the 'Shutter speed' that I look at to determine if it will capture moving objects sharply? or something else? Not really up with all the technical terms....

Probably more to do with Auto focus and good lenses.

Rappy - again, any of the current dslr models by Canon or Nikon will do the trick if your current camera isn't giving what you need in performance or growth potential.

You should easily be able to find something in your budget.

As for lenses, it's impossible to suggest lenses without an idea of what you like to shoot. I have found the best place to look is over at POTN in the lens archives as there is a wide variety of subject matter and technique displayed in dedicated threads so it's a matter of cruising around and putting some time in to narrow things down.

Spending money on quality glass - doesn't have to be top of the line - is money well spent imho. Usually you want to stay away from the cheapest/slowest glass and take the second or third tier to get great bang for buck.

OK - so I'm 99% sure that I'm going to go with the Canon 600D. I'm thinking of getting the Canon 18-200mm lense with it. Would this be the best 'everyday type' lense within my budget? I will mainly to taking photos of my dogs, but also taking it on holidays, photos of family and friends and also experimenting with it for all types of different things and getting the hang of using a slr....

Thank you!

Lightroom. Adobe has a 30 day free trial.

The software that comes with Canon cameras is also meant to be very very good. I have quite a few mates who do use it (not as many as rely on LR, tho) and recognize that it is powerful and fairly easy to get around in. I've personally never loaded it as I'm a LR Gal all the way and have no need to learn one more bit of computer stuffs :D

I use the 2 Canon programs that you will get when you purchase your camera. If you shoot jpeg it's zoom browser and if you shoot RAW it's DPP. They're pretty basic but still good, not as fancy as photoshop and lightroom, but they're free with your camera. All my pics are only processed with them.

OK - so I'm 99% sure that I'm going to go with the Canon 600D. I'm thinking of getting the Canon 18-200mm lense with it. Would this be the best 'everyday type' lense within my budget? I will mainly to taking photos of my dogs, but also taking it on holidays, photos of family and friends and also experimenting with it for all types of different things and getting the hang of using a slr....

Thank you!

I have this lens and use it in most situations because of its versatility - will put up a recent photo for you to see.

I had a couple of lenses from my old film canon slr which are also good, but I use the 18-200mm IS and the 50mm 1.8f lens most.

(If I could afford the higher range zoom lenses, I would probably get one)

Sorry! Next question - what computer program do you use to edit your pictures? :)

I use lightroom. I loved roxio media creator suite - photography section was really good, but it doesn't work on my mac :(

The canon software is quite good, but I am finding lightroom easier to use. I will be brave soon and work out how to shoot in RAW.

IMG_7310.jpg

Thanks jr! Very cute photo by the way!

Ok so I went to a few shops today to have a play with the Canon 600d and the Nikon 5100 - the sales consultants were all very helpful but it seems they are either a Canon or a Nikon person - no in between! Struggling to choose! It's all getting very technical and I wonder how much of it I would even notice as I am a beginner anyway.....

The Canon is more comfortable to hold, but the Nikon can take video for longer.... :confused: