Alternative To Elizabethan Collar

My 10 year old golden retriever had a tumour removed from his eyelid on Monday and we were told to keep the protective collar on for 10 days. I went to take it off today so I could take him for a walk in his harness and his neck is red raw and infected :( . The vet nurse put the protective collar on with bandage through the loops, this has rolled up tightly and just worn his coat and skin away. I have him going to the vets first thing tomorrow morning.

I need suggestions on how to stop him using his front paw to scratch at the stitches in his eye, I can sit with him until sleep time but Im worried he will try get them out...unless I do an all nighter

Help greatly appreciated!

My 10 year old golden retriever had a tumour removed from his eyelid on Monday and we were told to keep the protective collar on for 10 days. I went to take it off today so I could take him for a walk in his harness and his neck is red raw and infected :( . The vet nurse put the protective collar on with bandage through the loops, this has rolled up tightly and just worn his coat and skin away. I have him going to the vets first thing tomorrow morning.

I need suggestions on how to stop him using his front paw to scratch at the stitches in his eye, I can sit with him until sleep time but Im worried he will try get them out...unless I do an all nighter

Help greatly appreciated!

Aww poor thing:( I had to have a lump removed from my boy's neck and an elizabethan collar wasnt appropriate so I put a thick sock on his back foot and secured it with elastoplast tape. That worked for me, when he tried to scratch it at least the sock was soft, it might help - otherwise the all nighter might be in order, I suggest lots of strong coffee! Good Luck and hope he feels better tomorrow.

There's another type of collar that I use but can't remember what it's called, sorry.

It's a blow up, shaped like a big donut that goes around the neck (you attach a flat collar to it) so it stays in place.

Its much more comfortable than the plastic cone, my dog uses it like a pillow when sleeping.

It's worth ringing around to try and get one, for my dog, his stress levels went down considerably wearing this one than the one you have.

Hope your boy gets well soon.

Thanks guys, I put socks on him and also wrapped a soft pillow case around his neck. Went to the Vets, the vet nurse felt terrible the collar had caused such a huge wound. Now he has the one suggested by Dxenion...its hilarious but so much better. Poor old fella on the mend now I hope :thumbsup:

There's another type of collar that I use but can't remember what it's called, sorry.

It's a blow up, shaped like a big donut that goes around the neck (you attach a flat collar to it) so it stays in place.

Its much more comfortable than the plastic cone, my dog uses it like a pillow when sleeping.

It's worth ringing around to try and get one, for my dog, his stress levels went down considerably wearing this one than the one you have.

Hope your boy gets well soon.

I got some of these - they are called 'cloud collars'

They are good, no stress with it over their face etc. I had a dog hit by a car earlier this year and while I was in the waiting room a staffy came in with one on so I checked them out and ordered a few for my lot. I will warn you that I don't think their sizing is correct. I got the one for border collie sized dogs for my kelpies and it is way too small. They would have no problem turning round and licking at a wound. Get it bigger. I think the smaller sizes are OK. My chihuahua's one fit fine. From memory I think they are a Kong product

Hey TigerJack, I agree on sizing, I'd go one larger.

When I used ours on our boy, the new puppy thought it was a blast and punctured holes in it! Luckily it's covered with a sleeve and I was able to use super strong sticky tape over the holes. It worked :laugh: