Why Do Sighthounds Tend To Be Timid/sensitive?

corvus

Preaching to the converted here, I love greys and always recommend them as pets, but the one you need to convince is corvus. Good luck with that :laugh:

I could care less what corvus thinks if she believes her study was vaild when the majority of dogs in her sample were of one breed and mostly were reared very different to most pet dogs

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have actually been working, so I'm sorry if I couldn't answer everyone's questions instantly.

Most of the questions I used in the survey have been validated by previous studies with a couple of methods. It's about as sound as survey questions in animal behaviour get. Which is not to say that it's sound.

Where were you all when my survey link was posted here if you are all the ones with sighthounds most representative of good sighthound temperament? If you did the survey, your good sighthound temperaments are in the dataset where they can do the most good. If you didn't, then talk to the hand, people.

Greytmate, I suggest you go back to page 1 or 2. I didn't answer your question because I had already answered it when you asked it. Even when you do go back and check, you will still not know what my perception of bold is because I have deliberately not told anyone. It's not a discussion I want to be involved in at this point and I won't be dragged into it.

No, I do not need your opinions, although it was nice to get them. If you are bored or annoyed, then go away. I don't feel that I have an obligation to entertain you.

I'm bowing out now, folks. Thanks again for the ideas.

Didn't see it or I'd have filled it out. As it is you're extrapolating data in a direction it simply shouldn't be forced to go.

Hope your supervisor's on the ball Corvus. I can think of a lot of variables that would influence "shyness" and breed is but one of them.

Perhaps you could read the research about how whelping environments and the first few weeks of life impact on attitudes to strangers. But you won't.

Greytmate, I suggest you go back to page 1 or 2. I didn't answer your question because I had already answered it when you asked it. Even when you do go back and check, you will still not know what my perception of bold is because I have deliberately not told anyone. It's not a discussion I want to be involved in at this point and I won't be dragged into it.

You said guardian breeds. I'm not sure how you group your dogs.

There is no obligation to entertain us, but there is no obligation for you to start a provocative topic either. You give no justification for your use of 'bold' or 'timid', and have given us no confidence that you are putting any effort into clearly communicating your ideas. 'Oops' doesn't cut it.

So we will have to wait and see whether the work you are doing is valuable, or if it is counter-productive to some of our aims. I have no idea why you have turned so hostile, people have been very polite in discussing the topic.

Flawed studies still get published and quoted by the media, hopefully the resulting paper will acknowledge the issues raised here.

I love a dreamer.

God forbid people might be turned away from dogs that are probably better suited to being pets in urban settings than many others.

But as we all know from 'research' purebred dogs are screwed anyway. :rolleyes:

I didn't see your survey either Corvus.

But I'm also very wary of filling in any breed / temperament surveys as I know so much data ended up in mcgreevey's hands to be mis-used.

Not that I want to tar you with the same brush, but you posted your OP question and seemed to have already closed the books so to speak on any further data or ammendments than your studies already contained.

fifi

edited to add; PF..love it..where's a 'like' button !!

Edited by fifi

Gotta love it.

Scientist: What do you think of my hypothesis?

Sighthound folk: It's flawed.

Scientist: Who cares what you think - it's not like I need your opinions. :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sad but true in corvus' case!

Edited by Sir WJ

1. That most of the sighthounds in my survey were ex-racers is a massive assumption and one that can't be supported.

I still haven't come to terms with this statement above given it has been acknowledged most of the sight hounds in the survey were greys. So greyhounds now are a good representive sample of all sight hounds and only non racing greys were surveyed? or no-one bothered to find out whether the greys surveyed were ex racers as the vast majority of pet greys are but we will then make the assumption that they aren't ex racers as it suits our "research" better. Given the accuracy of this statement, and we are only hearing about sight hounds (what assumptions are being made about other groups, I would have to say I am concerned about the validity of anything that comes out of this survey.