Preferred Dry Food

Can anyone help me with the cost of Eagle Pack as compared to the ZD diet. Iam pretty sure I could feed my allergic boxer the fish based diet as I am looking for an alternative to the ZD which is very expensive. (I think its about $75 for about 8 kilos). My dog cannot have chicken or lamb so at the moment we give him kangaroo and rice and other fresh food supplemented with the ZD. I would appreciate any help. I don't think anyone local stocks the Eagle brand as we are in the country.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad to see that some people are feeding their dogs more natural choices, ie. BARF, Eagle Pack, Nutro Choice. I give my cats BARF and occasionally Innova dry food (www.naturapet.com). It has the best ingredients, and only human-grade. No by-products and corn grits!

Looking for Eaglepack myself!! :)

Here is a link that may help.... http://www.petdeli.com.au/cms/

Cheers

Edited to say I have never ordered from this website but have put the link up for information about eaglepack! :laugh:

Edited AGAIN :rofl: to say that eagle pack actually have there own website here in oz.... www.eaglepack.com.au :laugh:

Edited by catzatsea

Guest LittlePixie
just wanted to ask those using premium and super premium dry foodds are you using them solely or adding meat to your dogs diet?

Nope. Just kibble for Tilly.

Some very lucky dogs out there. My 3 get fed whatever is on special at the stock food place. I dislike paying more than a dollar a kilo for dog food. They get some bones and scraps. The pup got bonnie puppy for 6 months until she showed a preference for the big boys food.

My lot are generally healthy although the old boy needs some extra now due to weight loss. But suspect that is some sort of digestive disorder not the food.

I use to feed Rommel Iams/Eukanuba, he loved these ones and his coat really looked fantastic. I also fed him roo meat, chicken necks/wings or carcasses, raw egg and yoghurt. Just to give him some variety as well.

If your dog is an "athlete" (ie: supreme performance), there is NO complete feed available.

For the average dog, the super premium brands are complete "in general", but they are still lacking in some key areas (and "virtually" overdosing in others)... and it really depends on the dog.

I feed a super premium feed (Eagle Pack), and have to add meat and some supplements, just to "customize" the feed to suit my dogs and their performance levels.

If any qualified nutritionist wanted to ask me, I could tell them pretty much exactly how many mg/ug/iu of all the vitamins and minerals (not to mention Protein, Fat, Fibre & kcal ME) my dogs receive per day, and how many mg/ug/iu variance there is from the Recommended Daily Intake for a dog of that specific weight and performance level... and the exact weight of each of my dogs, and the exact weight of their meals.

Needless to say my dog's don't have any more than a 200 gram weight variation from day to day or week to week (unless the weight gain or loss is intentional).

I was asked the other day about my "skin-kid's" diet... and NO, it is no where near as "accurate" :)

WOW Kez thats impressive and your dogs look great!!!!

No pun inteneded but can you help me with my diet???? :laugh:

Must admit when I had horses I studied and knew each individual diet for each individual horse inside out... however dogs are much sturdier animals and can adjust to almost anything to survive therefore we take them for granted!! :laugh:

Note to self...... future study is required!!! :)

Edited by catzatsea

WOW Kez thats impressive and your dogs look great!!!!

No pun inteneded but can you help me with my diet???? :)

Note to self...... future study is required!!! :)

:laugh:

I don't know the first thing about "ordinary dogs" recommended requirements, as all my information relates to Greyhounds... specifically Racing greyhounds. :rofl:

I'm happy to "try" to help (using the "resting" greyhound data), but I wouldn't call it "advice" - more just "answering questions".

The dog in the middle of my "signature" (Kanga) wasn't in the greatest of shape when I got him, and that photo was taken only 10 days after he got here (if you saw the "before" photo, there's actually a huge improvement just in 10 days).

He looks even better now (5 weeks later), but I don't have a digi cam so the photo won't be updated until I get my film developed.

As I said earlier, in most cases the "complete" feeds are adequate, but will still be lacking in some areas (I was on the phone all day yesterday trying to find a particular supplement or range of supplements to only cover the areas the feeds are 'lacking' & had no luck... so it's try again today!).

Needless to say, I know a lot of the people at Virbac (Vetsearch) and NatureVet on a "first name" basis :laugh:

just wanted to ask those using premium and super premium dry foodds are you using them solely or adding meat to your dogs diet?

Mine get a chicken wing each morning and their training treats as well as their kibble..... they also get fish oil and a joint suppliment. They each get a half stick of roo jerkey each morning too....

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

If your dog is an "athlete" (ie: supreme performance), there is NO complete feed available.

I feed a super premium feed (Eagle Pack), and have to add meat and some supplements, just to "customize" the feed to suit my dogs and their performance levels.

Kez,

I am an Eagle Pack feeder.

What additions do you feed your dogs?

I am probably confused as my dogs are working labradors. From my knowledge it is very rare that Greyhound trainers go to the added expense (and therefore pass it on to their clients), who feed top quality dry food.

I am interested to hear of the extra's you provide?

Kez,

I am an Eagle Pack feeder.

What additions do you feed your dogs?

I am probably confused as my dogs are working labradors. From my knowledge it is very rare that Greyhound trainers go to the added expense (and therefore pass it on to their clients), who feed top quality dry food.

I am interested to hear of the extra's you provide?

It's more a "rarity" that greyhound trainers feed a cheap food.

The "big" trainers that are in it for the numbers feed the cheapest way possible, but big trainers are a minority in the greyhound racing industry.

The order of popularity for feeding racing greyhounds is:

Hills Science Diet

Eukanuba

Winning Edge

SuperCoat

Eagle Pack is just starting to become popular with the "Power" formula, since it is equal in price comparison to Science Diet and Eukanuba, but is higher in vitamins, obtains meat proteins from human grade meat sources (instead of offal), and does not contain wheat or soy.

Owners "paying" trainers to have their dogs trained on a $x per week basis is also a "rarity"...

Most trainers will only charge "per week" until the dog starts racing, and the going rate is $50 per week (count 2 x trials @ $10 each, dog checked by chiro/physio once a week @ $10 - Training dogs that aren't racing is no way to make money).

Once a dog is racing, the majority of trainers work on a 50/50 basis. The only money a trainer gets is the "travel rebate" + half of any prizemoney if the dog does well.

This encourages the trainer to do their absolute best to get the dog to win - Feeding crap feed isn't part of getting a dog to win.

I supplement for Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, B-group vitamins, Biotin, Choline, Vitamin C, Vitamin E.... as well as adding lean beef to balance the diet to the right levels.

Feeding EP alone would require 500 grams per day just to satisfy the energy requirements of a 26 kg bitch, however:

Iron would be over double the maximum daily recommended intake,

Zinc would be 24 mg over the maximum daily recommended intake,

Manganese would be 2 mg over the " " " ",

Most other vitamins would be WELL ABOVE the daily R.D.I.

However I would still need to supplement for:

Phosphorus,

Potassium,

Magnesium,

Vit B5,

Vit C,

Choline,

Biotin.

Does that help?

:o

soryy,guys, i don't know much about dry food.

I am using Pedigree puppy products now.

The "supercoat" you are mentioning, is it a brand?

and "Eagle Pack"?

Where can I get them?

Do you guys have some good recommendations on puppy's food?

thanks!

I feed Abel almost exclusively on BARF nowdays, but when he was younger, I used to feed him Innova.

Innova is made with real meat - no meat by-products! - and I found it quite good. The only drawback is its price. It can also be too rich for some puppies.

A note about Eukanuba: it creates really smelly poos! :o

Guest brtshbulldawg

:o HEY ALL, I HAVE TRYED A FEW AND NUTRIANCE WORKS FOR MY BULLDOG AND I FEED HIM ON CHICK NECKS AND AD LINSEED MIXED WITH THE MISSING LINK AND CRUSHED ALMONDS WOW YOU SHOULD SEE HIM HES COAT AND HE HAS HEAPS OF ENERGY FOR A BULLDOG. THE LINSEED AND CRUSED ALMONDS IS OMEGA 3 FOR HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT. SEE YA GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DRY FOOD

OH AND YOU CAN CONTACT THE COMPANYS TO GET SAMPLES TOO.

By the way we are Bonnie Working dog users

Cheers Kate

All our dogs get other food along with their dry.

They all get rice/pasta, joint powder (vet's all natural atm), apple cider vinegar, sulphur powder, Nature's Gift tinned food (1 large tin between the 5 of them), raw egg, sardines, cooked veggies, suitable leftovers, fresh bones (usually chicken wings/frames) & grated carrot.