Tibetan Mastiffs And Their Manes

JLPandFriends

Oops, somehow the thread posted before i even wrote the first word. >.<

I noticed that the TM's in China have much bigger manes than the ones in Australia. Why is that? Is there a difference in the genetics of the Australian TM's? Or have the Chinese bred the TM have much bigger manes than the original TM?

I really love the huge manes. =)

Edited by JLPandFriends

I noticed that the TM's in China have much bigger manes than the ones in Australia. Why is that? Is there a difference in the genetics of the Australian TM's? Or have the Chinese bred the TM have much bigger manes than the original TM?

Do you mean the natural corded / dread lock mane

or the bouffant hairdryer and hairspray coif?

I don't know if it's just poufier, it looks a fair bit longer as well. But the ones in this youtube vid are good examples.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Don't tell me they put hairspray and stuff in their hair? >.<

Edited by JLPandFriends

I don't know if it's just poufier, it looks a fair bit longer as well. But the ones in this youtube vid are good examples.

The TM is one of those breeds where you have to sift through a lot of 'legendary crap' to get to the dog.

The dogs in the you tube clip look like they have been well combed / groomed. Maybe they have hairspray I dont know. A lot of them were overweight or maybe just unfit. But then I am being picky and always try and imagine a dog moving in its natural environment. Most of these dogs I could not :)

Hi

The following link might be of some help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_Mastiff#Appearance

I was very lucky to get up close and personal with some TM's when I was in China last year. They are massive and there is absolutely no puffing and hairspray. Totally natural and they have huge manes. One of the most impressive dogs I've ever seen in the flesh.

Well it was pretty cold when I was over there, laugh.gif

I saw them at an exhibition very very similar to the one in the video. The people were so amazed that Australians were there having a look at their dogs, they presented us with hard cover books on them and we had a billion photos taken with themlaugh.gif We felt like rock stars LOL.

They truly are an amazing breed and are very very cherished as a breed. The puppies were the cutest things I think I've ever seen. They were the size of my adult Border Collies and they were 4 months old!