Beef Heart

Lisey

I've finally found something that Lola responds to while training to walk on a loose leash! :thumbsup: Beef heart that I've chopped up into peices. How often can I give this to her? Would approx 5 days a week by to much?

Heart actually doesn't count as an organ meat when it comes to feeding dogs - so it is part of the muscle meat ratio which should be about 80% for raw fed dogs. My dogs are fine to eat hearts as the main meat in their diet. It will depend on how your dog responds as to how much you can give her, but unlike with liver and kidneys etc there is not really a health risk involved with giving too much heart.

Edit - spelling

Edited by Kiara&Heidi

I also use whole chicken hearts that are great for big dogs.

Where do you get them from? I can only get beef and sheep hearts.

Some chicken shops sell them. If your local one doesn't have them, maybe ask if they can get them in. I know the nearest chicken shop to me is happy to order things they don't stock, e.g. turkey necks.

Whole chicken hearts are great for small dogs too! The little guy here gets two as part of his raw diet once a week, while the bigger dogs get five times that.

Edited by cazxxz

OK thanks.

She gets a bit of chicken mince mix with her kibble at night so would it be better to stick with the beef or sheep heart instead of chicken so she's not overloaded with chicken?

And is there anywhere that you can buy hearts already chopped up into treat size portions? Cutting up a big beef heart is not something I'm enjoying!

OK thanks.

She gets a bit of chicken mince mix with her kibble at night so would it be better to stick with the beef or sheep heart instead of chicken so she's not overloaded with chicken?

And is there anywhere that you can buy hearts already chopped up into treat size portions? Cutting up a big beef heart is not something I'm enjoying!

I chop mine in half & boil them well...let them cool, then it is much easier to handle when you chop them into tiny pieces. The resulting heart-flavoured water I keep in a jar & pour it over their kibble.

Some chicken shops sell them. If your local one doesn't have them, maybe ask if they can get them in. I know the nearest chicken shop to me is happy to order things they don't stock, e.g. turkey necks.

Whole chicken hearts are great for small dogs too! The little guy here gets two as part of his raw diet once a week, while the bigger dogs get five times that.

Oh thanks, I hadn't thought of going to a chicken shop for some reason. Will try it.

Sheena - your kitchen must smell nice after that :vomit::laugh:

Edited by Kiara&Heidi

Oh thanks, I hadn't thought of going to a chicken shop for some reason. Will try it.

Sheena - your kitchen must smell nice after that :vomit::laugh:

If you ask my dogs, I am sure they will agree with you. There is only one other occasion when it smells nicer & that is when I thinly slice beef liver & bake it slowly in the oven. Then there's the garlic when I fry their tiny little meat-bally things I get from the supermarket. Oh, & I almost forgot, when I add a can of cheap mackeral to their mince cake I make up for treats. No wonder I don't see much of hubby some times :rofl: But when it comes to yummy treats, my dogs just loooooovvvvvve me.

OK thanks.

My local supermarket sells them diced in 2cm-ish cubes but when I asked they were happy to cut them smaller.