Hip Score

wantsapuppy

I have no idea what the breed average for a Lab is but a hip score of 5 is not a high score at all. I would say a 5 is a good hip score result. You must also then add what the other parent's hip score is to that also. Why don't you contact a breed club? Most clubs have rules that members have to abide by with hips and elbows scores and breeding.

Edited by Belljari

Find out what the average score is for a lab. Find out if it is common for them to have elbow scores. This will give a base level to start at and compare.

We can talk numbers all day on here, but from reading the above posts, none have labs.

In border collies. No score on elbows. A combined hip score no higher than 8 is ideal. In saying this, many of the dogs being used at stud are much lower than this. I would potentially look at a higher score on one side, if its parents were low, and the partner's scores were low and the parents of those dogs were low.

The thing you need to remember: HD can come from 0:0 parents. Breeding from dogs with lower hip scores, hopefully reduces the risk of HD in offspring. The best guide is looking at a line of consistent low(er) scored animals and relatives. If you have a dog with low scores, but a litter mate has high scores, there is still the possibility of HD being carried in the line.

HD/ED can also be partially environmental (possible predisposition from genetics)- poor diet, starting the dog in training too early in sports where there is a lot of twisting and turning and allowing dogs to pelt up and down flights of stairs.

Here is an example for hips (Elbows all 0:0):

A bitch of mine 4:2 hips (her sire 7:5 and dam 0:3)

She was put to an unscored dog (due to age)however sibling and close relatives were scored low

Son retained by me: 0:0

Problem with hip scores is only a small percentage of the population is scored (depending on breed). Think of a litter of 8 puppies. Maybe one - three of those puppies make it to breeder status, which leaves 5 puppies or so not scored. Add into that, those who get the xrays done, and then do not send in the scores as it can be seen the hips are not good. then there are breeders who don't score to start with.

Breed average for Labradors is 12 (it is probably a bit higher, but not everyone submits their results, so therefore a false average is created).

A score of 5:7 is better than a score of 0:12 - even though both are technically under the breed average.

Elbows are much more hereditary than hips, as hip scores can vary due to many environmental things.

I certainly wouldnt stress over a total score of 5.

Elbows on the other hand I'd be a lot more stricter over.

If you want to read all about it go to

http://www.offa.org/hd_info.html

It's also worth checking on relatives if you can. Try putting the sire and dam's registry in on the following site and you may be able to pull up information back a few generations . . .as well as scores for siblings. A good score coming with a lot of sibs or ancestors with bad scores can be a worry . . . and a bad score from a family of good scores is a little less worrysome.

http://www.offa.org/index.html

I wouldn't get hung up on H/E scores if they aren't awful and you're not going to breed. Put lots of attention to temperament. See recent discussion of Lab puppy prices. Some pups are terrors. In my experience there's a strong hereditary component in this.