Confused Hip Dysplasia

renee84

Hi,

I have been looking for a puppy for a long time and I finally have picked the breed and now I am confused. What score A, B, C, D, E should the parents have for Hip Dysplasia. Is a D to B a good thing?

I thought it would be better C to B or A to A.

Just looking at spending alot of money on a puppy and want to make sure I am getting the best type that I can.

Thank you.

I wouldn't breed from a D and if for some special reason I bred from a C it would be to an A or B, preferably an A. Are you in Europe?

ETA we use the BVA system in Australia, from memory A is 1-3 and B is 4-8.

Edited by Miranda

If the breeders have had their dogs hip scored over here they can easily give you a number for each hip, ask to see the paperwork, the lower the numbers the better the score. A, B, C, D, E are commonly used in Europe, the U.S. have Excellent, Good, Fair, Moderate and Severe and the U.K. and Australia use numbers to score the hips.

Edited by Miranda

see also

http://www.offa.org/index.html

and click through various tabs to get explanations of hip and elbow scores, breed averages, etc.

If your breeder is good, you may also be able to check up on hip, elbow scores, and possibly other by entering registered kennel name or registration number . . . this gives you data for the family too.

THE OFFA LINKS NEED TO BE PINNED! THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE ASKING ABOUT HIP AND ELBOW SCORES, AND IT WOULD BENEFIT THE OPEN REGISTRY SYSTEM IF MORE PEOPLE WERE DIRECTED THERE FOR INFORMATION!!!!

Sandgrubber

Please note that those statistics and information on that site is incorrect and bares no relation to the Australian German Shepherd Dog population.

The GSDCA publishes it results here in Australia annually.

Well then the GSDCA site, and any Australia-specific sites, need to be pinned as well. Why not provide a link?

Please explain, 'incorrect'. I'm guessing that you mean "not necessarily representative of Australian numbers"?

All hip and elbow numbers are incorrect, cause if the Xrays look bad, lots of people don't submit . . .

The OFA results are closer to correct than numbers someone plucks out of the air, and their discussion of the process of reading Xrays is, in my opinion, excellent.

Does the GSDCA site give you the ability to chase down scores from ancestors and siblings?

I cannot find any info for my dogs lines on there and they both come from great dogs and have ancestors from big kennels here in Australia, couldnt get info on one dog off there

OFFA is a U.S. site, you won't find any info on your dog's ancestors unless your dog comes from imported U.S. lines.

freundhund, on 23 October 2011 - 11:28 PM, said:

Sandgrubber

Please note that those statistics and information on that site is incorrect and bares no relation to the Australian German Shepherd Dog population.

The GSDCA publishes it results here in Australia annually.

Well then the GSDCA site, and any Australia-specific sites, need to be pinned as well. Why not provide a link?

Please explain, 'incorrect'. I'm guessing that you mean "not necessarily representative of Australian numbers"?

All hip and elbow numbers are incorrect, cause if the Xrays look bad, lots of people don't submit . . .

The OFA results are closer to correct than numbers someone plucks out of the air, and their discussion of the process of reading Xrays is, in my opinion, excellent.

Does the GSDCA site give you the ability to chase down scores from ancestors and siblings?

The German Shepherd Dog Council of Australia does have its hip and elbow statistics posted on its website!. The GSDCA has been publishing Hip results since 1983 and elbow results since 1990. I can go back 8 generations my young girls pedigree and see the results of all her ancestors hip results. The GSDCA's data also shows which stud dogs improve hipscores in relationship to the scores of the dams put to the dogs. Most breeders have at their fingertips in hard copy the scores of the relatives of puppies being sold.

Imported GSD's from Europe have a number and a rating which can be checked on the SV's international database. The number rating for hips in Europe, is calculated from both parents, all other progeny from parents, grandparents etc as well as the Xray reading and is re-calculated quarterly. So a dogs hip-rating can change by a point or two if he/she or a close relatives has a litter that when X-rayed has a lot of problems with HD. I have to be honest and say I haven't come across many dogs that have been X-rayed here in Australia that have fouled the GSDCA's or the AVA's schemes. In saying this I have heard people say that a puppy in a pet home has been diagnosed by their local vet at 12 weeks (3 months) for its 2nd or 16 weeks (4 months) 3rd vaccination with HD, however, on investigation and having the puppy seen by a vet that is very experienced with GSD's and actually X-rayed quite often the puppy has been found to have excellent hips!