Snake Avoidance Training

What do you fellow dolers think about using snake skin shedings for avoidance by scent in Australia ? Quite a few people I have talked with who live in the US do this with rattle snake avoidance training.

I have had a couple skins I have found and my dog automatically did not go near them when I laid the out. her reaction was keeping a distance and actually jumping backwards in the air.

What do you fellow dolers think about using snake skin shedings for avoidance by scent in Australia ? Quite a few people I have talked with who live in the US do this with rattle snake avoidance training.

I have had a couple skins I have found and my dog automatically did not go near them when I laid the out. her reaction was keeping a distance and actually jumping backwards in the air.

My dog freaks out when she finds a bit of gecko skin in the house, so not sure if it has a similar smell to snake, but normally live lizards don't scare her. She is very wary of anything snakeish. Next time I find a snake skin I will have to see what her reaction is. You could also pick up the next freshly run over snake you find on the road, & put it in the freezer for training. Might be an idea to carefully remove the head & discard it so the dog can't get to the venom.

My dog freaks out when she finds a bit of gecko skin in the house, so not sure if it has a similar smell to snake, but normally live lizards don't scare her. She is very wary of anything snakeish. Next time I find a snake skin I will have to see what her reaction is. You could also pick up the next freshly run over snake you find on the road, & put it in the freezer for training. Might be an idea to carefully remove the head & discard it so the dog can't get to the venom.

In SES tracker training we were told that suicides are hard for dogs . . . the dogs follow the track ok, but can't associate the smell of the dead person with the smells that the live person left on the trail. I wouldn't assume snake skin or a dead snake is going to produce a snake que for a dog.

Sis has come up with some good ideas on how she is going to make the "snake trainer"...but don't hold your breath, she can be a bit slow. In the meantime she sent me this....maybe we should get ourselves a mongoose or two :thumbsup:

Mongoosetrainingsession.jpg