Help - I Don't Know What To Do ...

libbylewis

Lovely dog - 3 yr old kelpie/border collie- full male.

My neighbour's dog.

I've known Socks since I first chuckled over his endearing puppy stuff, watching him through my kitchen window.

Close bond with hin and his owners over 3 years.

BUT his owners, however much they "love" Socks, just aren't up to caring for him properly.

They have 3 little kids, all under the age of 5.

They don't have much money to spare.

They don't have much time/energy/motivation to spare.

Socks does not get walked.

Has minimal interaction with his pack.

Doesn't get fed properly (left overs seem to be his main food source).

And while he's never been yelled at, never hit his mistreatment is neglect

He has spoken with his paws - broken, numerous times through the fence to be with us.

On and on it goes.

I just don't know what to do anymore.

Please - has anyone else had to deal with this kind of thing before?

I have had a similar situation recently,I fell in love my inlaws neighbours cat when she was a kitten and have slowly watched her grow up and crave attention, she got to know my car and would come running for a cuddle. Many times I have wanted to knock on their door and ask them if they were interested in rehoming her.

To cut a long story two weeks ago I found out she was being taken to the pound because they no longer wanted her (she was heavily pregnant)I spoke with her owner and they let me take her. Yesterday she gave birth to four gorgeous babies.

If I were you I would approach them and explain that their dog is exactly what you are looking for and woud they be willing to let you take it in. Even maybe offer to walk it to start with give you time to get to know them before asking.

I think offering to take the dog for a walk to help out you neighbour might be a good start.

This may help them see that their dog has been a bit neglected and approach you to help.

(rather than get them offside initially)....... :)

Thanks Sally, betsy and rascalmy,

Yes it is heart-breaking.

It's really helpful to know that you understand how I feel.

I do have a very good relationship with Sock's owners.

Yes I have talked with them about Sock's situation.

I do walk Socks and have him over here for play time with Larry and Lola.

But in the long run they are unable to accept their inabilty to meet Sock's needs.

Edited by libbylewis

if the dog has food, water and shelter, and they refuse help there is nothing you can do. Legally they are doing everything right by the dog if the 3 basics are being met.

Sometimes you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. Sometimes I don't know why people own animals if they're just backyard ornaments, especially working breeds.

if the dog has food, water and shelter, and they refuse help there is nothing you can do. Legally they are doing everything right by the dog if the 3 basics are being met.

Sometimes you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. Sometimes I don't know why people own animals if they're just backyard ornaments, especially working breeds.

Yep you've nailed it.

It's heartbreaking stuff.

My neighbours were the same with their dog. He never got walked, played with or even cuddled :( The wife hated the dog because "he smells" but that's just because they never washed him. He had a kennel but no bedding even though he developed arthritis at just 6 years old! I gave him hand me down beds and toys from my dogs, bathed and walked him and would (with owners permission) bring him over to my house to play with my dogs and just be near people. He always looked incredibly sad when I'd take him back home but that's all I could do. The owners claimed they loved him (he has since died) but they were always yelling at him and saying he was a bad dog despite being an absolutely wonderful dog! Bombproof, gentle, never barked, obedient, I don't know how they could think he was bad :(

There's not much you could do except offer your companionship via walking or playing with the dog with the owners permission.

I have had a similar situation recently,I fell in love my inlaws neighbours cat when she was a kitten and have slowly watched her grow up and crave attention, she got to know my car and would come running for a cuddle. Many times I have wanted to knock on their door and ask them if they were interested in rehoming her.

To cut a long story two weeks ago I found out she was being taken to the pound because they no longer wanted her (she was heavily pregnant)I spoke with her owner and they let me take her. Yesterday she gave birth to four gorgeous babies.

Rascal - that's brilliant. What a good soul you are :D

I've had to realise that other people just don't see dog ownership/maintenance as we do..as other DOLer said, you feed and water it and give it shelter..what more do you need to do. Not wishing to hijack this thread, but one of my colleagues said this morning, our next door neighbour's dog cried all night..when I said oh dear, where was the owner she replied that in fact the dog had been crying for two days, no sign of the owner..but my colleague did say that her husband would be going over next door this afternoon to see if the dog was alright...and it had been crying for two days! I thought, OMG, am I the only person who sees a problem with this, that my colleague had waited two days before doing anything (and she is generally a lovely person) and then had to remind myself that I don't think the way 99% of the population does...same as with these neighbours of yours....if you realise that we DOLers are the exception, it helps you to cope with people's neglect of their animals a bit better! Well, I try to kid myself it does!!

Thanks Pollywaffle.

What you've written is all too familiar, especially the part about your collegue being "generally a lovely person".

But it's not right is it, that we DOLers are the exception to the rule?

As I sit here writing I can hear poor Socks going off: manic barking.

His owners are home - not a peek out of them ... Socks is just left to bark and bark and bark :(