Puppy Terrified Of The Car

Allerzeit

I have the same problem, puppy was fine in the car when I first got him, then started getting carsick and as a result started hating the car. I hoped he would grow out of it, but at 15 months he hasn't, and still vomits every time we go in the car. If I give him a long massage before we go he will usually only drool, but I can't massage him before leaving to come home, so he will then vomit. Usually when we go in the car it's for training classes or walks, so it always has a fun outcome.

Tried ginger tablets, he HATES them, and after the first time I was unable to get him to swallow it. Had no effect anyway.

I thought I might ask the vet for something, anyone have any experience with that?

I've heard you can use those ginger biscuits that you buy at the supermarket? Maybe he'll like them better?

You can ask the vet for some anti-nausea tablets. We use Cerenia tablets for dog that have motion sickness.

Wilbur wasn't a fan of the car til he started realising that it took us to exciting places :D When he finally clicked that getting in the car meant going to the beach, puppy school, obedience, the shops, etc he was much happier. We had a terrible time coaxing him into the car; initially he wouldn't even go out the front door of the house to get to the car :laugh: We did all the things that were suggested about desensitising him with the car, but it really wasn't until we just bit the bullet and ignored the howling, crying, yelping and started to go to fun places that he settled down and became an easy traveller. Now when we put his harness on he's happy as Larry to get into the car. It took a while and persistence was mostly the key with a sprinkling of tough love added :laugh:

good luck :)

Hahah - so not happening! :p :laugh:

I'm pleased to say that she is now happily trotting out to the car (instead of having to be carried because she refused to walk), and even jumps her front feet up so that we can lift her back end in :D

Today we will start shutting the back door, tomorrow running the engine, Wednesday having the car move (just up the driveway and back) - assuming that she takes each days changes ok - we will stretch out each step if needed :)

Wednesday I will pick up some ginger tablets for her, and hopefully we will be able to do a few little up and down the road trips before Saturday :)

Edited cause I just noticed I typed garlic tables instead of ginger tablets :dunce:

Edited by Allerzeit

Rosey was fine with the car trips when going to puppy school but we slacked off after the school had finished and no longer took her on car trips and now we are back to square one, as we took her for a trip to the pet store and she was sick on the way back.... but 1 thing I found might have made it worse was that she was standing up in her little carry pod instead of lying down in it..

I might try the Ginger biscuits/tablets