Camera Dilemma

RallyValley

Ok so I am in a dilemma, I am going overseas in less then 2 weeks and I dropped one of my kit lenses a 4/3 40-150mm lens (80-300mm equivalent). My only other lens is a 14-50mm (28- 100mm equivalent). Both lenses have a high maximum aperture (around 5) and I am going to be in gloomy weather for much of my trip.

I am going to have to spend at least $250 to replace the lens and would love to upgrade to something better however this has really forced my hand as I have been considering jumping ship to Canon or Nikon next year.

So what is a good mid range Canon or Nikon SLR? Is it possible to get a mid range Canon or Nikon and a fairly versatile lens for less then $1200? I might have to buy a new camera ( :eek: ) because it would be the worst thing ever to have not very good pics from the trip!

Check out the 600D - I've played with it briefly and it was nice. Not sure of the price but Canon's least expensive range is the xxxD followed by the xxD and then the 7D (all of these are 1.6 crop cameras that will take any lens Canon makes).